7D vs 500D, a simple resolution test

Started Nov 23, 2009 | Discussions
alundeb
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
7D vs 500D, a simple resolution test
Nov 23, 2009

These are 100% crops from the 7D and 500D, processed in CaptureOne with default sharpening, equal settings with both cameras.
Also shown with the 500D images uprezzed to the same magnification as the 7D.
Lens EF-S 60 macro.

I think this is representative of what the 7D can do, and it does resolve more detail than a 15 MP camera.

-- hide signature --

It depends on the eye

Elcheapo
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?
Re: 7D vs 500D, a simple resolution test
In reply to alundeb, Nov 23, 2009

I think that's a fair test. It correlates with my anecdotal findings: 7d isn't a massive resolution jump over 15mp (and even some 12mp) sensors, but its certainly the crop leader when it comes to total ammount of detail resolved.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter 13
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,301
Like?
Re: 7D vs 500D, a simple resolution test
In reply to alundeb, Nov 24, 2009

You must be one of those who never heard that

  • the 7D is worse than a Rebel

  • The 7D is blah-blah-blah diffraction limited

Great test, thank you for sharing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Flying Fish
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,580
Like?
That 500D is one helluva good deal, isn't it?
In reply to alundeb, Nov 24, 2009

I'm amazed what Canon is getting into these cameras (and probably the other makers, too).

FF

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Eidorian
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: 7D vs 500D, a simple resolution test
In reply to Peter 13, Nov 25, 2009

Peter 13 wrote:

You must be one of those who never heard that

  • the 7D is worse than a Rebel

  • The 7D is blah-blah-blah diffraction limited

Great test, thank you for sharing.

You totally confused me there. Now that I've almost settled over a 7D, I really don't know what to do or what to get...

I'm new to photography, in case you're wondering.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Johnny BBB
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
EOS 5D
In reply to Eidorian, Nov 25, 2009

What would the results be if you changed the 500D for a 5D1 (13mp)
Would the 5D crops be any better than the 7D

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alundeb
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
Re: 7D vs 500D, a simple resolution test
In reply to Eidorian, Nov 25, 2009

Hi Eidorian, Peter was just kidding.

There have been so many "reviews" suggesting that was the truth about the 7D. Many people believe in those reviews. There are other examples, like here, that show good, sharp images that places the 7D on top of all crop cameras.

The fact that good examples exist, prove that the bad reviews are mared by problems. The problems might be one or more of several, ranging from technique to get sharp images in the first place, focus inaccuracy, immature conversion software, using too small apertures, method of presentation, or Quality Control issues from Canon.

Good luck with whatever camera you get, all DSLRs are incredibly good these days

Eidorian wrote:

Peter 13 wrote:

You must be one of those who never heard that

  • the 7D is worse than a Rebel

  • The 7D is blah-blah-blah diffraction limited

Great test, thank you for sharing.

You totally confused me there. Now that I've almost settled over a 7D, I really don't know what to do or what to get...

I'm new to photography, in case you're wondering.

-- hide signature --

It depends on the eye

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter 13
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,301
Like?
Re: 7D vs 500D, a simple resolution test
In reply to Eidorian, Nov 25, 2009

That was sarcasm, indeed. If you have not read all those stupid threads, you have not missed anything.

If you are new to the dSLR world, you have to decide first on your budget and you need to have some idea about your future plans. Do not make the mistake of spending most of your budget on the otherwise great 7D and put a cheap lousy lens on it. The 50D is selling now for around $940, and for the difference you can get such a nice lens as the 10-22, in addition to everything else. If you can afford the 7D and have at least as much left for lenses (and this would be just the beginning), go for it then.

Eidorian wrote:

Peter 13 wrote:

You must be one of those who never heard that

  • the 7D is worse than a Rebel

  • The 7D is blah-blah-blah diffraction limited

Great test, thank you for sharing.

You totally confused me there. Now that I've almost settled over a 7D, I really don't know what to do or what to get...

I'm new to photography, in case you're wondering.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GeorgeML
Contributing MemberPosts: 574
Like?
What a difference 3mp make !
In reply to alundeb, Nov 25, 2009

Thanks for the comparison.

To put things into perspective, here's also Roland Lim's comparsion of the 7D vs 5DII.

The difference between the two is also 3mp but this time the 7D has less megapixels.

7D vs 500D (3mp difference):

7D vs 5DII (again, 3mp difference):

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alundeb
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
Re: What a difference 3mp make !
In reply to GeorgeML, Nov 25, 2009

I don't take the review by Roland Lim seriously.

He tests the 7D at aperture f/8, and as you can see from my original post, that smears detail and reduces microcontrast.

And his images are processed in DPP, known to make images from 7D much softer than other cameras at equal settings. CaptureOne processes RAW files from the 7D similarly to other cameras at equal settings.

I don't have a 5DII to compare with myself, but if you download some RAW files from imaging-resource.com (still at f/8 though) from the 1Ds3 (5DII misfocussed there) and the 7D, and process them in CaptureOne, You get the perspective right again.

GeorgeML wrote:

Thanks for the comparison.

To put things into perspective, here's also Roland Lim's comparsion of the 7D vs 5DII.

The difference between the two is also 3mp but this time the 7D has less megapixels.

-- hide signature --

It depends on the eye

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,710Gear list
Like?
Re: 7D vs 500D, a simple resolution test
In reply to alundeb, Nov 25, 2009

The biggest notice is to see the deterioration from f8 to f16 in both cams.

 jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,710Gear list
Like?
So where do N fans claim 12 is as good as 15/18 ???
In reply to GeorgeML, Nov 25, 2009
n/t
 jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alundeb
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
Re: What a difference 3mp make !
In reply to GeorgeML, Nov 25, 2009

Why should we trust the test by Roland Lim when 100% crops of RAW files from IR, processed with identical settings in C1 look like this:

(At first sight, the 1Ds3 looks ever so slightly out of focus, but if you look close, you'll find it resolves a tiny bit more detail than the 7D.)

GeorgeML wrote:

Thanks for the comparison.

To put things into perspective, here's also Roland Lim's comparsion of the 7D vs 5DII.

The difference between the two is also 3mp but this time the 7D has less megapixels.

7D vs 500D (3mp difference):

7D vs 5DII (again, 3mp difference):

-- hide signature --

It depends on the eye

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
Re: What a difference 3mp make !
In reply to alundeb, Nov 25, 2009

alundeb wrote:

I don't take the review by Roland Lim seriously.

He tests the 7D at aperture f/8, and as you can see from my original post, that smears detail and reduces microcontrast.

And his images are processed in DPP, known to make images from 7D much softer than other cameras at equal settings. CaptureOne processes RAW files from the 7D similarly to other cameras at equal settings.

I don't have a 5DII to compare with myself, but if you download some RAW files from imaging-resource.com (still at f/8 though) from the 1Ds3 (5DII misfocussed there) and the 7D, and process them in CaptureOne, You get the perspective right again.

Except that it's very difficult to be sure what the "right" perspective is. We don't know whether "equal" settings in CaptureOne really is equal or not (in DPP it obviously isn't).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alundeb
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
Re: What a difference 3mp make !
In reply to Steen Bay, Nov 25, 2009

Steen Bay wrote:

Except that it's very difficult to be sure what the "right" perspective is. We don't know whether "equal" settings in CaptureOne really is equal or not (in DPP it obviously isn't).

Agree.

I'll moderate my statement to:

In my normal workflow, the 500D behaves as a 15MP camera, the 7D as a 18 MP camera and the 1DsIII/5DII as 21 MP cameras.

That's my perspective

-- hide signature --

It depends on the eye

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads