Lens collar for tripod mounting heavy lenses

Started Nov 20, 2009 | Discussions
Kameraphil
Regular MemberPosts: 432
Like?
Lens collar for tripod mounting heavy lenses
Nov 20, 2009

As we know, these tiny micro cameras can be adapted to use many big legacy long lenses. Problems arise when on tripod, the front end with such a lens is to heavy, too unstable for the setup. I therefore wonder if some kind adjustable tripod mount rings are available for use with heavy lenses of variable diameters. Or anyone has other useful suggestions to get round this problem?

RoyGBiv
Senior MemberPosts: 1,956
Like?
Re: Lens collar for tripod mounting heavy lenses
In reply to Kameraphil, Nov 20, 2009

Kameraphil wrote:

As we know, these tiny micro cameras can be adapted to use many big legacy long lenses. Problems arise when on tripod, the front end with such a lens is to heavy, too unstable for the setup. I therefore wonder if some kind adjustable tripod mount rings are available for use with heavy lenses of variable diameters. Or anyone has other useful suggestions to get round this problem?

This is a common misconception. You do realize, the change in moment on a tripod due to the body size is actually near zero, right? Draw the force diagram on the system, and you'll see...having a thinner camera body actually improves your moment by drawing the lens a hair closer to the axis.

-- hide signature --

'I have no responsibilities here whatsoever'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,937Gear list
Like?

Kameraphil wrote:

Chances are a lens big enough to warrant a tripod collar should have one (I'm thinking of my experience with the Nikon line). That being said, it'd be a comical sight to see, say a GF-1 on the back of a 500 F4.
--
'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
BigBarney
Senior MemberPosts: 2,722
Like?
Tripod mounts
In reply to Nikonparrothead, Nov 20, 2009

Nikonparrothead wrote:

Kameraphil wrote:

Chances are a lens big enough to warrant a tripod collar should have one (I'm thinking of my experience with the Nikon line). That being said, it'd be a comical sight to see, say a GF-1 on the back of a 500 F4.

Yes indeed. The only really long lens I have come close to mounting on my G1 as a legacy lens is a Soligor 500mm mirror lens. This is considerably shorter and lighter than a solid glass long telephoto, but even this was supplied with its own tripod mounting collar. If you buy a long telephoto lens without the tripod collar the chances are you have not bought the complete package. I don't know of any vendor for an independent tripod collar. I believe the heaviest lens you can hang off the G1 without risk of distorting the lens mount is 1kg (approx 2.2 .lbs), but I cannot remember where I read that.

Kameraphil
Like?

I think the tripod bush on micro cameras (GF1, E-P1) seems weaker than those on traditional DSLRs (At least visually!). Adding to this, legacy lenses need a lens adapter to attach to these micro cameras, which makes them longer and heavier still (not to mention the possibility that you may want to add a teleconverter on top of all this to take photos of some flags on the moon!), which in turn makes the set up jitter or vibrate more easily (by wind or when you press the button). Don't you think this is the case? Don't you think that even a lens originally requires no tripod mount collar, in this new stuation it may now need one?

imagesmatter
Regular MemberPosts: 266
Like?
BJN
BJN
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,753
Like?
Here's a better link...Manfrotto 293
In reply to imagesmatter, Nov 20, 2009

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=manfrotto+lens+support&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

The other link shows collars and feet that fit specific lenses they're designed for.

I'm guessing the generic Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging 293 Telephoto Lens Support is more what the OP has in mind.

There's no generic collar that mounts directly to a lens that I'm aware of.

-- hide signature --

BJ Nicholls
SLC, UT

BJN
BJN
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,753
Like?
In reply to RoyGBiv, Nov 20, 2009

Ahem. You add an adapter that puts the lens just as far away from the sensor plane as it is in an Olympus DSLR. The real concern is that the plastic internal body of the MFT camera is less substantial than a cast metal body for both the lens mount and the tripod socket.

And it's not even about breaking the camera. Having a long lens cantilevered is a poor way to shoot on a tripod and much more prone to vibration and instability.

-- hide signature --

BJ Nicholls
SLC, UT

Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,218
Like?
In reply to Kameraphil, Nov 21, 2009

Kameraphil wrote:

Stick to buying long, heavy lenses that have their own tripod mounts or use a bean-bag system on the tripod head. I sold my Nikkor 180/2.8 because it was simply too awkward to use without a tripod mount, and none that I could find would fit it sensibly.

I can get the same focal length and quality by using the Pentax 135/3.5 on the Olympus EC14 teleconverter ... it's not as fast, but it's light and does not stress the camera's tripod mount.

Or I can simply use the Olympus ZD 50-200 which has a nice, rigid tripod mount.
--
Godfrey
http://godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com

sacundim
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111
Like?
In reply to Nikonparrothead, Nov 21, 2009

Nikonparrothead wrote:

Chances are a lens big enough to warrant a tripod collar should have one (I'm thinking of my experience with the Nikon line).

Not my experience with Minolta manual focus gear. There is a dire lack of tripod collars on some of those lenses. The ones I have that really need one:

1. Panagor 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro — fairly heavy all-metal macro lens that extends a lot. 1:1 with this guy on a G1 is not fun.

2. Minolta MD 70-210 f/4 — this lens is very long.

3. Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 — borderline case

RoyGBiv
Senior MemberPosts: 1,956
Like?
In reply to BJN, Nov 21, 2009

BJN wrote:

Ahem. You add an adapter that puts the lens just as far away from the sensor Ahh...you're right. I forgot about the adapters. It is just as far. But that was really the gist of my point...it's just as far, and the flanges on my l1 & my e-p1 are built to the same thicknesses.

BJN wrote:

The real concern is that the plastic internal body of the MFT camera is less substantial than a cast metal body for both the lens mount and the tripod socket.

Well, the lens mounts seem to be the same, as I said above. The tripod socket on the other hand...I wasn't thinking about them, and you're right on that count; they're not built nearly as as solidly. So, I stand corrected in that respect. I can definitely see a lens collar helping in relieving stresses on that component in a useful way.
--
'I have no responsibilities here whatsoever'

Kameraphil
Like?
Re: Here's a better link...Manfrotto 293
In reply to BJN, Nov 21, 2009

BJN wrote:

I'm guessing the generic Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging 293 Telephoto Lens Support is more what the OP has in mind.

There's no generic collar that mounts directly to a lens that I'm aware of.

-- hide signature --

BJ Nicholls
SLC, UT

Thanks BJN, yes the Manfrotto 293 is the kind of device I need, and I've found a review of it which some of us may find useful: http://www.rahsoft.net/m293_bracket/index.htm

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads