E-P1 with Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - some images to share

Started Nov 12, 2009 | Discussions
sheeshkebab77
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
E-P1 with Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - some images to share
Nov 12, 2009

Hi, been enjoying reading this forum for a while now and I've enjoyed the photos that have been shared. This is my first post, so thought I'd share some pictures taken from my E-P1 with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (all handheld, MF, some minor post-processing done on iPhoto).

I'm new to this hobby so C & C most welcome, pls! Tks!

F/4, ISO200, 1/500 sec, pinhole effect

F/4, ISO400, 1/1000 sec, pinhole effect

F/4, ISO400, 1/500 sec, pop-art effect

F/11, ISO400, 1/125 sec

F/2, ISO100, 1/180 sec

F/2, ISO200, 1/250 sec

F/2, ISO800, 1/20 sec

F/9.5, ISO640, 1/90 sec

kiri
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297
Like?
Re: E-P1 with Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - some images to share
In reply to sheeshkebab77, Nov 12, 2009

I think the one of the bench is the strongest from that set since it has a clear subject which draws the eye.

Most of the others seem to lack this, and so do not appear very exciting or draw the view in IMHO.

I've found that when taking pictures of something that looked interesting at the time, it does not always come out that way in the photo. I guess because a picture only captures a frame or part of a scene, so you really need to think about what you are trying to show in that frame.

On the other hand, sometimes something which does not seem very exciting can look great in a photo depending on how you compose it.

Just something to think about. Hope it helps.

Also, since you are using a 30mm f1.4 lens, you might have fun trying to take some shots which take advantage of the shallow DOF and focal length of that lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
William Gordon
Contributing MemberPosts: 510
Like?

I enjoyed viewing all of your images (south England perhaps?) however I am not a lover of the pinhole filter, in fact, I find them rather a distraction from the photos. I guess it is a personal thing. That appears to be a very good lens!

Bill Gordon

Brian Mosley
Forum ProPosts: 20,406Gear list
Like?
These look great...

Welcome to 'active duty' - you do realise we'll be looking out for more great photography from you now, don't you!

These look great on my 1920 x 1200 laptop display, but 1600 is a tiny bit wider than people normally post... I think that 1024 x 768 is the maximum people will tolerate

I really like the wide format seascape by the way. Did you say you'd been manually focusing your Sigma lens? why is that? the E-P1 should autofocus shouldn't it?

Well done, and thanks for sharing

Cheers

Brian
--
Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
cheddargav
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,490Gear list
Like?

Lovely stuff!

I have the Sigma in Nikon mount, great lens
--
Anything the kids can do, I can . . . . copy
http://www.twitter.com/gavphotography
http://gavin1977.blogspot.com/

cheddargav's gear list:cheddargav's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Mikee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,737Gear list
Like?
Can you post pictures of the ep1 with this lens on?
 Mikee's gear list:Mikee's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +3 more
sheeshkebab77
Like?
In reply to cheddargav, Nov 12, 2009

Kiri - thanks for the advice! Yes, composition is something I really need to work on. Will keep at it and bear your advice in mind.

Bill - these were all taken in St. Andrews, Fife. The coastal shots were taken along The Scores.

Brian - oops... my apologies to all for posting such large pictures! Yes, unfortunately, the Sigma 30mm (4/3 mount) doesn't autofocus properly with the E-P1 (I'm using the MMF-1 adapter). I've already brought it to the Sigma office to have a look and they've checked with "Japan" to confirm that it's only MF. I also independently checked with Sigma USA and according to them, they "do not fully support the micro 4/3’s mounts and with the use of the adapters it is recommended to use MF." It's such a pity though because I really like this lens.

Thanks again for viewing!

sheeshkebab77
Like?
Re: Can you post pictures of the ep1 with this lens on?
In reply to Mikee, Nov 12, 2009

Hi Mike,

Here'a a shot of the set-up.

I know it really does the compact nature of the E-P1 a disservice, and I was initially rather apprehensive about how mismatched and clumsy it all looked. But it soon grew on me, I guess...

Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 23,097Gear list
Like?
4-3rds matching simulation of any 4/3 and m4/3 camera with any lens

Requests like this come up every so often. Four-thirds.org has a matching simulation where you pick the body (such as E-P1) and the lens you want to see on the body, and it will show you multiple views of the combined camera + lens.
http://www.four-thirds.org/en/products/matching/index.html

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 23,097Gear list
Like?

These all look nice. I hope to try out my 30mm when I get the E-P2 and adapter. I noticed you manually focused the lens. Was this just personal preference, or was it due to the slowness of the E-P1 focusing? I tried out my classic 14-54mm in the store with the E-P1, but didn't try out the Sigma 30mm.

[edit]

Hmmm, I just read your post about the Sigma not auto focusing. Bummer. I suspect I need to start saving for the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 lens for a low light solution, or just learn to love MF'ing. It never ends, there is always something else we need to complete our set.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
Mikee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,737Gear list
Like?

Thanks for that!

sheeshkebab77 wrote:

Hi Mike,

Here'a a shot of the set-up.

I know it really does the compact nature of the E-P1 a disservice, and I was initially rather apprehensive about how mismatched and clumsy it all looked. But it soon grew on me, I guess...

Mikee's gear list:Mikee's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +3 more
Kirill_est
Regular MemberPosts: 358
Like?

Why did you take the photos in manual focus?
Can the E-P1 autofocus with this Sigma lens?
I am thinking of buying it too, but not MF only

-- hide signature --

Micro 4/3 is the system for me.
I only wish they started making better lenses.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads