Nikon software update available.......

Started Oct 20, 2009 | Discussions
antonoat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,574
Like?
Nikon software update available.......
Oct 20, 2009

For Vew NX and Transfer, both are apparenty compatable with snow leopard and include update for D3s.

No update as yet for Capture NX2, though it cant be far away.

Hope this is of some use !

Cheers
Tony

http://www.wildoat.zenfolio.com

jwalker019
Senior MemberPosts: 2,588Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon software update available.......
In reply to antonoat, Oct 20, 2009

antonoat wrote:

For Vew NX and Transfer, both are apparenty compatable with snow leopard and include update for D3s.

No update as yet for Capture NX2, though it cant be far away.

Hope this is of some use !

Cheers
Tony

I'm assuming you saw this on the UK website? Not available yet in the US.

-- hide signature --
 jwalker019's gear list:jwalker019's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
antonoat
Like?
jwalker019......
In reply to jwalker019, Oct 20, 2009

Hi

yes it's available on the Nikon Europe site, surprised you don't have it yet!
Here is the link

http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/list

cheers

Denis Van der Staey
Regular MemberPosts: 373
Like?
Re: Nikon software update available....... CAUTION?

Just updated to ViewNX 1.5.0 (Windows XP Pro SP3).

After the update, NEF image colors are displayed wrong... low contrast and purple cast in dark areas. Thumbnail colors however are fine.

Nothing wrong with my system's color settings or my calibrated and profiled monitor. Also verified color settings in ViewNX.

In Capture NX 2.2.2 and other color-managed applications, all is fine.

Anyone with a similar system wanting to give it a try and report back?

-- hide signature --

EDIT -- Went back to version 1.4.0. Sigh.

--
Denis

D200_4me
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,392Gear list
Like?
Me too
In reply to Denis Van der Staey, Oct 20, 2009

I have a heavy green shading over all the jpg's and nef's in view nx. I might have to see if I can revert to the old version to see if that fixes it. Capture NX sees the files correctly, it's just View NX that's screwed up.

D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +4 more
D200_4me
Like?
BUG!!!

Here's an example of what I'm seeing in View NX. See that heavy green cast? You can't even view the photos like this....not so you can see them correctly anyway.

Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +4 more
D200_4me
Like?
Where did you find the older release???

I can't find it online.

antonoat
Like?
Sorry guys.......

I posted this in good faith, I am also not having the problems you report.

Best regards
Tony

D200_4me
Like?
It's not your fault

Don't feel bad

deant
Contributing MemberPosts: 588
Like?

antonoat wrote:

Cheers
Tony

Actually View NX and Transfer are updated only for 10.5.8, not Snow Leopard. I just installed View NX on Leopard and it doesn't work. There are no menu buttons at all, just the pointers to the buttons.

I had the previous versions of View and Transfer on Snow Leopard and they worked fine.

I upgraded Transfer and it seems to work OK on Snow Leopard.

I wish Nikon would actually get a real Snow Peopard upgrade out before Apple goes to their next operating system.

-- hide signature --
Kaj E
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,919Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon buggy software update available.......

Apparently another buggy piece of software from Nikon. They need to get their software group straightened out (reorganized in corporate language).

It really is a pity. Nikon software does a superb job when it works, but the bugs are truly annoying and not acceptable for any company.
--
Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

Denis Van der Staey
Like?
In reply to Denis Van der Staey, Oct 21, 2009

Screen capture to show the problem:

Left: NEF viewed with Capture NX 2.2.2.
Right: same NEF viewed with ViewNX 1.5.0.

-- hide signature --

Denis

Peter Hayward
Contributing MemberPosts: 634
Like?
Re: Nikon buggy software update available.......
In reply to Kaj E, Oct 21, 2009

I couldn't agree more.

I find it inexcusable that a company with the reputation of Nikon could allow such gawd awful software onto the masses. And to think that they actually charge for this stuff!! Sheeze give me strength.

I'd seriously hate to have to use this software professionally... well I could not do it really. A great pity as NX does produce great images and I do like the control point technology but everything else ... well it just plain sucks. Period.

Although NX View and Capture both perform significantly faster under Win7 there are still far far too many bugs, wierd user interface, inconsistencies with usability and most importantly no native 64 bit versions.

Come on Mr Nikon please send a rocket up Nik to produce some decent software. At the very least enable public beta testing and a user based feedback path that almost every other software producer enables. It is really not that hard.

-- hide signature --
D200_4me
Like?
It's a new Picture Control setting :)

LOL Or not...

deant
Contributing MemberPosts: 588
Like?
In reply to deant, Oct 21, 2009

Man Nikon is really frustrating with its software. Almost makes me want to consider going to Canon.

In addition to its updates of Transfer and ViewNX not being updated for Snow Leopard (they recognize 64 bit OSes but operate as 32 bit software anyway -- which basically makes it a non-upgraded upgrade), on the Nikon US site, both the English and Spanish versions of ViewNX download the Spanish version of the software.

It seems to me Nikon has nothing but contempt for its loyal customers. First they charge you $8,000 for the D3x and now they can't even have a workable version of their software for Snow Leopard in a reasonable amount of time. It's not like the didn't know Snow Leopard was in the pipeline.

-- hide signature --
Denis Van der Staey
Like?
Update -- tracked down the problem

The latest ViewNX has troubles with my monitor profile which is LUT-based.

I generated a new monitor profile, now matrix-based, and the color problems are gone. I regard this as a temporary work-around, not a solution, so tomorrow I will report the problem to Nikon.

A LUT-based monitor profile should be NO problem for any decent imaging software.

FYI, my monitor is a Lacie 321; calibration/profiling software used is Lacie Blue Eye Pro.

I also got the problem with profiles generated with the GMB EyeOne Match 3 software.

-- hide signature --

Denis

ask4net
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Re: Update -- tracked down the problem

Same error (green color cast) with my Dell DELL 2007wfp (+ ATI 3850)

I tried on Windows 7 64 bit, ATI Catalyst driver + standard profile and on Vista 64 bit with EyeOne profile.

How to switch profile to "matrix-based"

Regards,
Anatoli

tomoo1000
Senior MemberPosts: 1,819
Like?

Hi I have no problems whatsoever win XP pro with sp3.

Phil.

-- hide signature --

NPS Member

One's life is not measured by the two dates upon your tombstone, but how you lived the dash in between them

tomoo1000
Senior MemberPosts: 1,819
Like?
In reply to deant, Oct 21, 2009

deant wrote:

Man Nikon is really frustrating with its software. Almost makes me want to consider going to Canon.

In addition to its updates of Transfer and ViewNX not being updated for Snow Leopard (they recognize 64 bit OSes but operate as 32 bit software anyway -- which basically makes it a non-upgraded upgrade), on the Nikon US site, both the English and Spanish versions of ViewNX download the Spanish version of the software.

It seems to me Nikon has nothing but contempt for its loyal customers. First they charge you $8,000 for the D3x and now they can't even have a workable version of their software for Snow Leopard in a reasonable amount of time. It's not like the didn't know Snow Leopard was in the pipeline.

-- hide signature --

Well it's not like Mac users are 99 percent of all pc users are they, just like any company they spend their resources on and for the biggest market share eventually getting round to the minority market share which unfortunately is Mac users.

Phil.

-- hide signature --

NPS Member

One's life is not measured by the two dates upon your tombstone, but how you lived the dash in between them

ask4net
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to tomoo1000, Oct 21, 2009

The BUG will appear when you apply ICM profile to the monitor.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads