Buying Leica in China

Started Oct 9, 2009 | Discussions
Denilj
Regular MemberPosts: 320
Like?
Buying Leica in China
Oct 9, 2009

For those who live in China or HK, can you give me website addresses of camera shops selling new Leica gear - as well as CV and Z lenses?

I've been visiting Tin Cheung's website a lot lately: any experience of dealing with that shop, good, bad or ugly?

The Leica passport, do you only get it if you buy from a dedicated Leica dealer?

Hope to hear from locals and/or expats.

Best regards,

-- hide signature --

Denis

hfy100
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Re: Buying Leica in China
In reply to Denilj, Oct 9, 2009

If i get it correctly, Tin Chung is an authorized dealer of Leica and Zeiss stuff in HK. I've bought couple things from them and the overall experience is quite OK. The only complaint is they will add 2%-3% of the price tag for accepting credit card.

Another shop you may consider is Man Shing which is also an authorized dealer. The service is better and no add-on for credit card.
http://www.wingshingphoto.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hfy100
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to hfy100, Oct 9, 2009

BTW, Man Shing has 2 sister shops named Wing Shing.
But you can only buy Leica stuff from Man Shing.
http://www.wingshingphoto.com/contact.php

polarabbit
Senior MemberPosts: 2,233
Like?
in Shanghai
In reply to Denilj, Oct 9, 2009

Denilj wrote:

For those who live in China or HK, can you give me website addresses of camera shops selling new Leica gear - as well as CV and Z lenses?

I've been visiting Tin Cheung's website a lot lately: any experience of dealing with that shop, good, bad or ugly?

The Leica passport, do you only get it if you buy from a dedicated Leica dealer?

You can check out buy360.com but I doubt they deliver overseas. It works quite well if you are a local. They work on COD terms most of the time and prices are quite competitive.

If you are physically in Shanghai, I would suggest you take a look at XinGuang photo plaza...forgot its english name. it is a five-storey photo "mall" located in Xuhui district (intersection of Xietu Rd and Luban Rd). There are three or four shops that carry new Leica equipment (bodies and lenses) and a large number carrying a good selection of preowned equipment. I've found some pleasant surprises and deals there a few times, for old and new stuff.

Best regards,

-- hide signature --

Denis

-- hide signature --

BODIES: M8, RD1s, EP1, DP1, DP2
------------------------------------------------
LENSES: Summilux Pre-Asph 50/1.4, ZM Biogon 35/2, Rollei Sonnar 40/2.8 HFT,
Rokkor 40/2, Nokton 50/1.1, 28/2, 40/1.4, Heliar 15/4.5 Asph II,
Hexanon 90/2.8, Summicron 90/2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GALLERY: http://galay.fotki.com

Denilj
Like?
Re: in Shanghai
In reply to polarabbit, Oct 9, 2009

Hi Polarabbit,

thanks for the tips. As to your offer of an M8, here's my email address: denilj@yahoo.fr. Can you specify the number of actuations, the age and price please? I have to say I'm more into buying new, but who knows.

Thanks to the others too for the info provided. I live in China, so no need to deliver abroad BTW.

Best regards,

-- hide signature --

Denis

ze897
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Leica dealers in China/Hong Kong
In reply to Denilj, Oct 10, 2009

Hi,
You can do a search of local dealers with the following link:

http://us.leica-camera.com/service/dealer_locator/

The search will display results by category: Leica Shop. Leica Premier Delaer, Leica Dealer, etc...

Where do you leave? In Beijing? Shanghai?

In Beijing I recommend you the Leica Shop (it's inside a residence compound, tricky to find but the owner is a passionate about Leica):
Leica Shop
Spring In Rhein Commercial Co.
North A No.109, No.5 Building, Regalcourt, No.28, Guangqu Road
100022 Chaoyang District, Beijing
Phone: 010-58631047
Fax: 010-58631047
E-mail: jinlei@leica-eshop.com
WWW: http://www.leicawindows.com

In Hong Kong, my preferred one is:
Leica Premier Dealer
L&H Photollection
Shop Nos. 35-36 &50-51, 11/F. Windsor House,
311 Glouster Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Phone: (852) 3907 0282
Fax: (852) 3907 0383

And also:
Leica Premier Dealer
New Francisco Photo Co.
62 Mody Road
Shop No. G50-51, Wing On Plaza Tsimshatsui, Kowloon
Phone: 2369 5677
Fax: 2739 8575

Hope this helps.

Ze897

Xiaomao
Senior MemberPosts: 1,153Gear list
Like?
In reply to Denilj, Oct 10, 2009

Hi, Denis,

You might be able to buy your M8 there (in Chongqing). I know you can talk in Chinese with them.
http://m.pconline.com.cn/shop347484/tid:42777/products.html
Good luck!
-------
Yang

Xiaomao's gear list:Xiaomao's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Leica M9 Pentax K-5 IIs
menos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,438
Like?
Re: in Shanghai
In reply to polarabbit, Oct 10, 2009

polarabbit wrote:

Denilj wrote:

You can check out buy360.com but I doubt they deliver overseas. It works quite well if you are a local. They work on COD terms most of the time and prices are quite competitive.

If you are physically in Shanghai, I would suggest you take a look at XinGuang photo plaza...forgot its english name. it is a five-storey photo "mall" located in Xuhui district (intersection of Xietu Rd and Luban Rd). There are three or four shops that carry new Leica equipment (bodies and lenses) and a large number carrying a good selection of preowned equipment. I've found some pleasant surprises and deals there a few times, for old and new stuff.

Best regards,

-- hide signature --

Denis

-- hide signature --

BODIES: M8, RD1s, EP1, DP1, DP2
------------------------------------------------
LENSES: Summilux Pre-Asph 50/1.4, ZM Biogon 35/2, Rollei Sonnar 40/2.8 HFT,
Rokkor 40/2, Nokton 50/1.1, 28/2, 40/1.4, Heliar 15/4.5 Asph II,
Hexanon 90/2.8, Summicron 90/2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GALLERY: http://galay.fotki.com

I have first hand experiences regarding Leica items with only 4 different dealers in the Shanghai photo mall at Luban Lu / Xietu Lu, as a live in Shanghai.

The new prices on items, I inquired though are mixed and approaches from foreigners are generally received skeptical, especially, regarding payments with foreign cards. I cannot describe the battles, I fought until I arrived at the more expensive gear items I bought in China.

As a customer, you have to earn your credit at the camera dealers in Shanghai - before that, they don't take you serious. There are too much tourists, coming along, asking for playing with an expensive camera and buying a 1.200 RMB point and shoot.

Be very, very careful with buying used items in China in general. You must know the item inside out. Know its down sides, points to check, and of course the going rate.

It is not considered unethical for Chinese dealers, to screw a customer (this is not meant ironic). Not only several times, I have found myself in a situation, where it clearly would have turned out a very bad deal. The worst case so far has been a 12.000 RMB used Leica 35 f2 Cron ASPH, that turned out, to have a splintered rear element after further inspection, which the dealer with his initial inspection clearly has been aware of before trying to sell it to me knowingly. It has been exchanged and I never step into his shop again. He greets me, every time, he sees me - he knows hopefully, he lost potential business, trying to pull such stunt.

If you want to share experiences with the Shanghai dealers, contact me.

I have no experience with buying new Leica bodies or used digital Leica bodies in China and do not really plan, to do so, as prices are outrageous.

33km
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
RE: Buying Leica in Beijing
In reply to menos, Oct 11, 2009

I bought my Nikon D3 and Leica M8.2 and a number of lenses in Beijing's famous WuKeSong camera mall. You must bargain. The final prices are rather equivalent to US prices and slightly above that of HK in general. Keep your receipts and warranty cards well, just in case (I've encountered no problems with the gears i bought so far, though).

You will have better treatment and luck at smaller shops in the giant mall, which has no equivalent in the US. The used item collection there, although scattered among many small dealers, is absolutely astounding.

Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,536Gear list
Like?
I agree. I visit the market monthly and picked up a DP2 well before it
In reply to 33km, Oct 11, 2009

was available elsewhere. As mentioned, prices are about the same as US after negotiation and there are many accessory shops that have things that are not carried by your normal shop in the US or the UK. Check out the second floor for the wedding dresses, make-up, Etc. Enjoy!

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +3 more
chanandrew
Regular MemberPosts: 355
Like?
In reply to Denilj, Oct 12, 2009

theres a dealer at winsdor house that sells new in cwb
--
http://chanandrew.com/gallery.htm
http://www.chanandrew.com/reviews.htm
http://www.chanandrew.com/trips.htm

'Once you learn to appreciate, everything is Photogenic.'

Denilj
Like?
In reply to chanandrew, Oct 14, 2009

Thanks everyone for your contributions. I bought my 1D3 + a few lenses both in Chongqing and HK, so know a few places and some of the possible things to look out for.

Good to hear there's hope for a Leica not too far. I'll check them out and will let (at least) the world know when I finally have my M8...

Best regards,
--
Denis

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads