Best Buy has the S90 ...

Started Oct 8, 2009 | Discussions
realgeek
Senior MemberPosts: 1,178
Like?
Best Buy has the S90 ...
Oct 8, 2009

... But won't sell it until Sunday! Grrrrr!

Teski
Forum ProPosts: 13,049Gear list
Like?
Depends which Best Buy
In reply to realgeek, Oct 8, 2009

There are 3 or 4 threads here where people got them from Best Buy last night. I called the store in Bellevue, WA and they said the same thing you're saying. "We have them in the store, but can't sell until Sunday."

-- hide signature --
 Teski's gear list:Teski's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Canon EOS-1D X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom Hoots
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,805
Like?
Re: Depends which Best Buy
In reply to Teski, Oct 8, 2009

Teski wrote:

There are 3 or 4 threads here where people got them from Best Buy last night. I called the store in Bellevue, WA and they said the same thing you're saying. "We have them in the store, but can't sell until Sunday."

Absolutely. My local Best Buy store had some punk kid who told me that they wouldn't sell me the camera even if they had it in stock, but at least he let me see that the Beaverton, Oregon store had some in stock -- again, the only store that had any in stock, at least on the screen of a dozen-or-so stores on his monitor.

So, again, I just ran back to my car, did a Google search for the Beaverton store, clicked on a phone-number link, and placed a call. The perfectly fine young gentleman there not only was willing to sell the camera to me, but also helped me get the sale initiated over the phone, and had the camera set aside, waiting for my arrival.

If anyone gives you that "we can't sell it" rot, you might ask for a manager, to see if he actually wants to make some money or not. Then, I suppose you could make a call to any other store that has the camera in stock, and ask if they will sell it to you, right in front of the punks who won't. I just find it unbelievable that any retailer in the current economy would turn away someone willing to fork over $430 right on the spot for something they've got in the store. Sheer insanity!

Tom Hoots
http://thoots.zenfolio.com

realgeek
Like?
In reply to Teski, Oct 8, 2009

Teski wrote:

There are 3 or 4 threads here where people got them from Best Buy last night.

Yeah, I know. I'm on the East Coast and it killed me to see those threads only after stores were closed. I had to wait until the morning to go check. I tried to get the guy to go to the back and check instead of looking on the computer, but he insisted on looking on the computer and, of course, it said not to sell until Sunday.

Again, Grrrrr!

blue rocket
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?

any of you guys notice if they got the G11's in yet or not?

BravoBrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,046
Like?

That's nuts! Ask for a manager and mention they've been selling them already in the west coast Best Buys.

realgeek wrote:

Teski wrote:

There are 3 or 4 threads here where people got them from Best Buy last night.

Yeah, I know. I'm on the East Coast and it killed me to see those threads only after stores were closed. I had to wait until the morning to go check. I tried to get the guy to go to the back and check instead of looking on the computer, but he insisted on looking on the computer and, of course, it said not to sell until Sunday.

Again, Grrrrr!

-- hide signature --

Dave Dyer
Regular MemberPosts: 462
Like?
Best Buy in Commack NY sold me one for $399

I told them they are available from online merchants for $429 with no tax and shipping so they matched the price. Call different stores for instock availability and find out if they will sell before the release date of Oct 11th.

PhotoJulie
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Re: Best Buy in Commack NY sold me one for $399
In reply to Dave Dyer, Oct 8, 2009

My local BB in Cambridge, MA got them in today (actually, they were putting it on display as I called to check on availability). They are holding one for me - nothing was said about not selling until Sunday. Cannot wait to pick it up after work!

gail
Forum ProPosts: 13,594Gear list
Like?
Got mine in GA this morning

I picked one up this morning in GA Best Buy. Their computer said they had four but it took them about 20 minutes to locate them. They were behind the FujiFilm cameras. LOL!

gail's gear list:gail's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Bryan Burton
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
In reply to BravoBrown, Oct 8, 2009

I was pretty excited when I called a local Nashville Best Buy and they said they were in stock and would hold one for me to pick up today. Went at lunch to find out no sale, at least until Sunday. Even after talking to the manager with the feedback they are selling at other BB still no deal. They are holding one for me until Sunday and are going to give me a 10% discount for the mix up.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Bryan

91bball
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Re: Got mine in VA this afternoon
In reply to gail, Oct 8, 2009

Sterling VA best buy has one less in stock. They had 5 total. I think it helped that I asked a total newbie who didn't try to look it up on the computer, he just went into the back to find it.

I hope this will be the replacement to my faithful S30 that I still use.

realgeek
Like?
Well, I got it!
In reply to realgeek, Oct 9, 2009

They said no to me this morning, but I went again at at night (when different people would be working) and managed to get it.

I tried to keep the employee away from the computer (which would tell him not to sell it until Sunday). But we couldn't find the camera very easily, so he did check the computer. In fact, we were having such a hard time finding it that two clerks checked the computer twice -- and they both missed it! I walked out with a nice, new S90. Woo hoo!

I'm charging the battery as I write this!

wa2n
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?
Re: Well, I got it!
In reply to realgeek, Oct 9, 2009

Just picked up an S90 at a best buy in Austin. After coming home late from work and seeing posts of best buy buyers I called and they held one at the will-call desk for me. I also managed to scramble-find a 10% off coupon on the web and out the door for $418.92 including tax.

They had G11's in the wire-frame cage too, but I restrained myself.

ANAYV
Forum ProPosts: 10,433
Like?
In reply to Tom Hoots, Oct 9, 2009

Wow...I'm canceling my therapy for 'impulsive buying disorders'....cause
I don't think I have a problem anymore...

thanks,Tom Hoots !!

within a few months,I'll have enough saved ,to buy the S90 ,lol !!

Just wondering what would of happened....had you waited....until... the next day ?

ANAYV

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads