8mm Samyang/Falcon/etc fisheye my results.

Started Sep 26, 2009 | Discussions
Elcheapo
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?
8mm Samyang/Falcon/etc fisheye my results.
Sep 26, 2009

Hey all. I don't post often, but I figured I'd share my findings on this neat little lens I bought off ebay, since I really wasn't able to find much info on this thing online. Based on a lenstip.com review, I decided to take the plunge on this affordable MF fisheye for my xsi.

Anyways, just some amateur samples here

f7.1, ISO 400, in the shadow, resized + unsharp mask:

100% crop center

100% crop edge

I'm quite happy with my results, just after playing around with it in my yard last night. MF is a non issue at 8mm, as just setting it to focus around 3 meters or so seems to get everything in focus, even wide open at f/3.5. My shots have been reasonably sharp, even near as you get close to the corners surprisingly. Certainly nothing that will blow your mind, but respectable nonetheless.

The build quality of this lens was surprising too, the focus ring is as great as any, it feels sturdy with its metal mount. The plastic on the pedal hood looks a bit bubbly and cheap though.

The lens seems to have a tendency to confuse my 450d into overexposing, possibly pilot error. I'm no expert. Peace.

Elcheapo
Like?
Re: 8mm Samyang/Falcon/etc fisheye my results.
In reply to Elcheapo, Sep 26, 2009

oh, and an absolute top corner result.

The 100% crops aren't sharpened or anything, just straight from camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jonas B
Forum ProPosts: 14,596
Like?

Not bad at all. The CA is there, as expected, but not more than what you get from other 8mm FE lenses (to my somewhat unexperienced eyes).

Thank you for sharing,

Jonas

photonius
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,104
Like?

Elcheapo wrote:

Hey all. I don't post often, but I figured I'd share my findings on this neat little lens I bought off ebay, since I really wasn't able to find much info on this thing online. Based on a lenstip.com review, I decided to take the plunge on this affordable MF fisheye for my xsi.

Yes, quite a decent lens, I enjoy it as well, tried to compile information on it here:
http://photonius.wikispaces.com/Fish-eye%2C+Panorama%2C+Stitching

The build quality of this lens was surprising too, the focus ring is as great as any, it feels sturdy with its metal mount. The plastic on the pedal hood looks a bit bubbly and cheap though.

The lens seems to have a tendency to confuse my 450d into overexposing, possibly pilot error. I'm no expert. Peace.

I noticed the same thing on the 400D. Perhaps the way Canon measures exposure, when no electronic feedback is available. (It's not just a question of having lots of sky, with my Canon 10-22, I rather get underexposure)

Regarding CA in corners, noticed as well. Can be corrected, however, I'd suggest to apply an inverted circular selection to select only the corners (at least in photoshop). Probably due to the non-linear nature of the lens, results further in from the edge got worse, when optimal CA correction was applied for the corner.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

Elcheapo
Like?
In reply to photonius, Sep 28, 2009

Thank you photonius for the advice. The CA, while obvious on a 100% crop, doesn't really bother me much when taking into account the size of the 12mp capture. This is my first fisheye lens, and I'm gushing at it.

eagle90
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
In reply to Elcheapo, Sep 28, 2009

Keep in mind that the reason the image quality of these falcon, samyang etc. lenses is good is that they are actually 10mm which is easier to design. True 8mm lenses are considerably wider.

photonius
Like?
In reply to eagle90, Sep 28, 2009

eagle90 wrote:

Keep in mind that the reason the image quality of these falcon, samyang etc. lenses is good is that they are actually 10mm which is easier to design. True 8mm lenses are considerably wider.

Before spreading misinformation, it would have been useful if you had read the links I gave in my link above. It is a 180 diagonal fish-eye on a 1.5x crop, but it
has a different projection, it comes closest to being a 8.7mm fish-eye.
http://michel.thoby.free.fr/SAMYANG/Early%20test%20report.html

-- hide signature --

Elcheapo
Like?

Well, I'm no expert, but I will say this lens is a fair bit wider than the sigma 10-20 I was using up to this point.

eagle90
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
In reply to photonius, Sep 28, 2009

My statement is correct. This lens has good image quality compared to other 8mm fisheyes because it isn't an 8mm fishyeye. Whether it's really a 9mm or a 10mm, it's still no where near as wide as a true 8mm. Try one out and see. It's much more informative than linking to a bunch of graphs.

Elcheapo
Like?

eagle90 wrote:

My statement is correct. This lens has good image quality compared to other 8mm fisheyes because it isn't an 8mm fishyeye. Whether it's really a 9mm or a 10mm, it's still no where near as wide as a true 8mm. Try one out and see. It's much more informative than linking to a bunch of graphs.

Weather it's 8mm, 8.7mm, 9mm, I can confirm it is less than 10mm, I have no way of measuring by how much.

I have no idea how this compares to other "8mm" fisheye lenses in terms of FOV or IQ. Frankly, if it's a mm wider than advertised, I'm not too worried about it considering it cost me 300$ which is 1/3 the cost of the sigma. The pelleng doesn't interest me because of the extreme vingetting which, in my opinion, makes pictures unusable without drastic ps.

oscarvdvelde
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?

It is supposed to be 180° over the diagonal which is the same as any fisheye. For Canon APS-C cameras, though, it is 167° as found somewhere in those links.

I like its projection, it does not compress things near the edges and magnify things in the center so much. I'm thinking of getting one for use on my 5D. It then would show a nearly rectangular area because of the sun hood. Based on cropping some example CR2 images I found, you would get 3000 x 2000 pixels (6 MP) images. One could also shave the hood and get a circular image which does not fit in the frame. From this one could make nice 2600x2600 pixel square crops also (6.7 MP). Of course, one would get more resolution from a 15mm diagonal fisheye, but the versatility of different crops after shaving would be a plus, certainly at 1/3rd the price of Canon/Sigma 15mm.

If only that hood could be taken off by design.
By the way, does anyone know if the front cap still fits after shaving?

-- hide signature --

Weather & Photography
http://www.lightningwizard.com

oscarvdvelde's gear list:oscarvdvelde's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 +1 more
photonius
Like?

eagle90 wrote:

In a way you're right, it doesn't matter if it's 8mm, 9mm or whatever.
However, your statement "it's not an 8mm fisheye" is not useful at all,
if the different lenses have different types of projection.
There is no such thing as a "true 8mm fisheye".

tokina 10-17, sigma 10mm, samyang 8mm, all give 180 degree diagonal on 1.5.x

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads