Problem Re: PMA and dpreview.com want your opinions

Started Sep 21, 2009 | Discussions
Tortellino
Senior MemberPosts: 1,330
Like?
Re: Same Problem but I want an EVF
In reply to RedFox88, Sep 22, 2009

RedFox88 wrote:

Then you haven't read much. Removing the mirror of an SLR vastly changes how a camera auto focuses. I remember PopPhoto only showing auto focus testing for the G1 down to as dim light of just EV8 when they usually test auto focus down to EV -1. That is their way of saying the G1 focuses poor in lower light levels. And EV7 isn't a dark room at all.

For accuracy's sake, PopPhoto said that in the field they were able to focus below EV0, although it was slower and wider area than in bright light. So yes, worse than phase detect, but not by 8 stops, and not a problem for a vast majority of shooting conditions.

What's more relevant, is that AF has nothing to do with EVF. Sony A350, 380, 550, Olympus E330 have live view off a secondary sensor and phase detect AF. So they are not mutually exclusive.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
teglis
Regular MemberPosts: 401Gear list
Like?
Same here
In reply to NIK11, Sep 22, 2009

My top two features (standard DNG and easy MLU) weren't in the list, so it has recorded two "others" for me.

I wondered if it was because I was using FireFox. Some Web designers think the whole world uses IE. But I tried it in IE as well, no difference.

I'd be embarrassed to have my logo on such a poorly tested survey.

-- hide signature --

• Rich

teglis's gear list:teglis's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 +9 more
Digital Dick
Contributing MemberPosts: 848Gear list
Like?
I love the EVF on my Konica Minolta A200
In reply to Tortellino, Sep 22, 2009

I shoot animals in the dark shadows near sunset with the EVF on my Konica Minolta A200. Yes, it's slower than a phase detection system but still very usable. It's real advantage is that I see what I'm going to get exposure wise before I shoot the frame.
Dick

Digital Dick's gear list:Digital Dick's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads