D700 Price Increase?

Started Sep 10, 2009 | Discussions
k427
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
D700 Price Increase?
Sep 10, 2009

Just talked to my local camera store. Apparently Nikon is charging more to retailers for the d700 causing the prices to increase. I also noticed that amazon has the d700 listed for $150 more from when I bought it approx. 2weeks ago.

Can anyone else confirm this? Could this be evidence towards a new camera (I don't mean to start another one of those threads), or the suffering Japanese economy? Im not familiar with the d3 and d3x prices so Im not sure if they have increased too.

HPW
HPW
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
Re: D700 Price Increase?
In reply to k427, Sep 10, 2009

The price increase is most likely caused by the declining value of the $. Prices for Nikon lenses have also increased over the last few month. And from what I hear from my friends with Canon equipment, their prices are also going up.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
B18
B18
Regular MemberPosts: 451Gear list
Like?
In reply to HPW, Sep 10, 2009

Australian $ is climbing but D700 price kept going up.

I bought it at $3500 back in December and now it cost $4200 from the same shop !

No wonder I can't persuade anyone from buying a900 and 5d mk2

-- hide signature --

• Nikkor on Nikon and Fuji -

B18's gear list:B18's gear list
Nikon D4
AlexanderVC
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
In reply to B18, Sep 10, 2009

In Japan, the price listed by various web shops has fallen 12,000 yen over the last month or so. Domestically, the international exchange rate would not be a factor on such vendors, while the recent Canon and Sony announcements have surely exerted downward pressure. I'd love to see it fall another 12,000 to just below 200,000.

Alex

DaveWo
Contributing MemberPosts: 777
Like?
In reply to k427, Sep 11, 2009

Where are you guys? And when will the price go up again? As far as I know it has dropped about two weeks ago. One local store is still sellling it at its lowered price from two weeks ago.

Nikon USA still lists it at $2699. CAD $3069 on Nikon Canada site. US$2449 on B&H website.

k427 wrote:

Just talked to my local camera store. Apparently Nikon is charging more to retailers for the d700 causing the prices to increase. I also noticed that amazon has the d700 listed for $150 more from when I bought it approx. 2weeks ago.

Can anyone else confirm this? Could this be evidence towards a new camera (I don't mean to start another one of those threads), or the suffering Japanese economy? Im not familiar with the d3 and d3x prices so Im not sure if they have increased too.

k427
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to DaveWo, Sep 11, 2009

Im in Souther California. Yeah, B&H was the same way, around two weeks ago it was just over $2300... weird.

DaveWo wrote:

Where are you guys? And when will the price go up again? As far as I know it has dropped about two weeks ago. One local store is still sellling it at its lowered price from two weeks ago.

Nikon USA still lists it at $2699. CAD $3069 on Nikon Canada site. US$2449 on B&H website.

k427 wrote:

Andre De Angelis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,191
Like?
In reply to B18, Sep 11, 2009

Nikon Australia are really screwing the legitimate Nikon outlets.

The D700 is going for US$2300 in the US and Canada, which translates to AUS$3000 even after you add GST, yet Nikon outlets are selling the D700 for around $4000. Meanwhile, the grey marketers are selling it for $3,300.

Europe also gets screwed. In spite of the Euro being much higher than the US dollar, Europeans pay the same price in Euros that Americans pay in US dollars.

I would rather give my money to my local Nikon sales guy, but when you can get a D700 and a SB900 for the going price of a D700 body alone, it's a no brainer.

B18 wrote:

I bought it at $3500 back in December and now it cost $4200 from the same shop !

No wonder I can't persuade anyone from buying a900 and 5d mk2

-- hide signature --

Jack2002
Regular MemberPosts: 264Gear list
Like?

B18 wrote:

I just checked the price for a D700, from ECS, an authorised Nikon dealer, and it has actually dropped. 2 weeks ago it was selling for around $4200 (AUD) now it is down to $3950 (AUD). Hopefully it will drop a little more...I just wish I had the money to get one while they were cheaper.

The grey market ones are today selling at $3299 (AUD) at D/D's; of course you get no Australian warranty with grey market cameras.

If I'm spending big bucks on a camera I would be a lot happier with a full Australian warranty.
--
Cheers,
Jack

Jack2002's gear list:Jack2002's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF
Andre De Angelis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,191
Like?
In reply to Jack2002, Sep 11, 2009

If you do the sums, you're still better off with the D/D option.

A body like a D700 isn't likely to break and even if it costs you $200 for a repair, you can have it repaired 4 times and still be better off.

What really angers me is that the price rose from $3,300 to $4000 when the AUS dollar was around 60 US cents. The Aus dollar is over 80 US cents but the D700 is still close to $4000.

Nikon are screwing Australia.

Jack2002 wrote:

The grey market ones are today selling at $3299 (AUD) at D/D's; of course you get no Australian warranty with grey market cameras.

If I'm spending big bucks on a camera I would be a lot happier with a full Australian warranty.
--
Cheers,
Jack

Mel
Mel
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,716
Like?
No increase here either . . .
Jack2002
Like?
In reply to Andre De Angelis, Sep 11, 2009

Andre De Angelis wrote:

If you do the sums, you're still better off with the D/D option.

A body like a D700 isn't likely to break and even if it costs you $200 for a repair, you can have it repaired 4 times and still be better off.

I see your point but in the unlikely event of something going wrong I would be far more comfortable with an Aussie warranty.

What about firmware upgrades? I don't know much about them but the Nikon site states;

-- hide signature --

Owners of grey items may not be able to download online software and firmware upgrades available from the Nikon site, due to incompatible serial numbers.

Cheers,
Jack

Knezz
Regular MemberPosts: 269
Like?
Re: It goes up and down....
In reply to Mel, Sep 11, 2009

Calumet had it listed at $2,349.99 usd about three weeks ago. Now it's $2,699.99 usd. A couple of months ago it was $2,349.99usd.

It's going back and forth.. Wait another 30 days at the most it will probably be back down.
--
Regards,
K. Nezz

CharlesWilson
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Re: D700 Price Increase? Australia

Dear All,

I don't know wherte you Australian guys are shopping but I can easily pick up a Nikon D700 with full Australian warranty for about $3300. Just look at ww.shopbot.com.au

Regards

Charles Wilson Sydney

Ilian K
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?

I feel that we have been ripped off for everything in Australia. Is it not the same with the price of the petrol...
I always looking for different options. I work for my money as anybody else...

Ilian K's gear list:Ilian K's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +1 more
Jack2002
Like?
In reply to CharlesWilson, Sep 11, 2009

CharlesWilson wrote:

Dear All,

I don't know wherte you Australian guys are shopping but I can easily pick up a Nikon D700 with full Australian warranty for about $3300. Just look at ww.shopbot.com.au

Regards

Charles Wilson Sydney

Thanks Charles for that link but what I can see on that site are dealers selling the cameras with an Australian warranty (not an authorised Nikon Aus warranty) that requires you to send the camera back to them for repairs, they then sent it...who knows where?

If I'm missing something or didn't see the right dealer please let me know.
--
Cheers,
Jack

RJSPhotography
Senior MemberPosts: 1,677Gear list
Like?

There is no reason for the Australian nikon prices being so high. As for grey import nikons aren't they still produced by the Nikon factories?

It's about time Nikon in Australia had some decent global competition.

Cheers

Ron

RJSPhotography's gear list:RJSPhotography's gear list
Adobe Photoshop CS6
lee lindquist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,751
Like?

DaveWo wrote:

I bought mine for $2249 last november, from B&H. I amazed that the price
has held up this well. Usually right after I buy something there is a $1000
instant rebate!

B18
B18
Regular MemberPosts: 451Gear list
Like?

That is not true.
One way of Nikon to scare people

Since the day Nikon DSLRs can be updated with our own PC / Mac , I been updating it by downloading the firmware from first available site that host it.
Whether its Nikon USA, Nikon EU or Nikon SG.
As the Nikon bodies sold in Australia comes from Nikon HK anyway and
Nikon AU sites are normally 24-48 hours behind its cousins in publishing it !

-- hide signature --

B18's gear list:B18's gear list
Nikon D4
gareth12468
Contributing MemberPosts: 628
Like?
In reply to k427, Sep 11, 2009

Just check the price of the D700 last night with the store I bought my equipment in Toronto and the price has dropped by CAD$325, tax included.....

Osku
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,985Gear list
Like?
In reply to lee lindquist, Sep 11, 2009

lee lindquist wrote:

DaveWo wrote:

I bought mine for $2249 last november, from B&H. I amazed that the price
has held up this well. Usually right after I buy something there is a $1000
instant rebate!

In Europe we are blessed since we do not get those rebates at all, ever. And we pay same amount in euros that you in USD (who cares about 1.45 exchange rate).

Osku's gear list:Osku's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads