I thought third party batteries didn't work for the G1?

Started Aug 28, 2009 | Discussions
Don
Don
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?
Re: Agreed
In reply to fsmith, Aug 29, 2009

What you guys say is true, in any case how many LI do I have sitting around at home and the house has not burnt down yet:)

Still I do not leave them on charge when the house is empty.

Cheers
--
Don

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
_MA
_MA
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
In reply to fsmith, Aug 31, 2009

Do you have a link to a 3rd party battery with the same safety features as the genuine Panasonic.

Its not that that long ago Sony Corp. had a nasty battery incident (laptops) so I guess safety is a wise approach in the case of Li-ion. The question is if Panasonic will allow OEM batteries with the same features as their genuine ones. Time will show..

-M

fsmith wrote:

I think it is silly to believe that Panasonic has done this for safety reasons. They simply want to boost their profits. There are plenty of 3rd party generics that have over-charging prevention and shorting circuitry so why ban all non-oem in the name of safety? If they are worried about safety they should just put a sticker on the camera saying that non-oem's can be hazardous......Does Nikon, Canon, Sony,etc have firmware blocking generics? NO!

Fran

Linh Nguyen
Regular MemberPosts: 244
Like?
In reply to fsmith, Sep 24, 2009

while I don't think canon has blocked 3rd party batteries, they have "crippled" the use of 3rd party batteries and certain features they've built into their new batteries for the 5dmkII/7D. I'm surprised they didn't take panasonic's approach.

fsmith
Senior MemberPosts: 1,148
Like?
In reply to Linh Nguyen, Sep 24, 2009

Linh Nguyen wrote:

while I don't think canon has blocked 3rd party batteries, they have "crippled" the use of 3rd party batteries and certain features they've built into their new batteries for the 5dmkII/7D. I'm surprised they didn't take panasonic's approach.

I thought that generics function fine in Canon,Nikon,Sony... except for fancy things like remaining power in minutes that require special ciruitry in the battery. Canon isn't actively trying to prevent 3rd party batteries while Panasonic probably relies on the profit. Panasonic actually locks out 3rd party batteries and they claim it is for safety reasons.

Fran

P. Kierstead
Regular MemberPosts: 280Gear list
Like?
Re: corporate greed
In reply to Harold66, Sep 24, 2009

Actually, I think their real reason is related to warranty returns; they got sick of fixing camera's damaged by third party batteries.

In any case, it isn't different then many printer cartridges, etc. It isn't admirable, but it isn't at all unusual either. Once can always choose a different vendor. Ideally, if you do, write them a letter and let them know; this goes miles towards a solution.

P. Kierstead's gear list:P. Kierstead's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
fsmith
Like?
In reply to P. Kierstead, Sep 24, 2009

P. Kierstead wrote:

Actually, I think their real reason is related to warranty returns; they got sick of fixing camera's damaged by third party batteries.

This came up in discussions before and is not the case. Damage caused by 3rd party batteries is not covered by warranty. In regards to safety, most of the cases of exploding laptop and cell phone batteries have been OEM batteries. Also, why would Panasonic lock out 3rd party batteries that have protection circuitry?

In any case, it isn't different then many printer cartridges, etc. It isn't admirable, but it isn't at all unusual either. Once can always choose a different vendor. Ideally, if you do, write them a letter and let them know; this goes miles towards a solution.

It is unusual for cameras. Panasonic looks to be a "trend-setter?"

Fran

P. Kierstead
Like?

fsmith wrote:

This came up in discussions before and is not the case. Damage caused by 3rd party batteries is not covered by warranty.

Well, yes, but everyone always claims to not be using a third party battery. "Oh no, I was using the battery that came with it". It is like the iPhone water detector; everyone always claims they didn't drop it in the pool. The circuitry makes the problem go away. Until someone duplicates it, of course.

I worked in a camera store for some years. There would still be cement dust embedded in the camera while the person was insisting they didn't drop it. I am sympathetic to manufacturers in this regard. Of course, I also look forward to a quality, cheap 3rd party battery that will work in my GH1

Also, why would Panasonic lock out 3rd party batteries that have protection circuitry?

Because it isn't verifiable.

fsmith
Like?
In reply to P. Kierstead, Sep 24, 2009

P. Kierstead wrote:

fsmith wrote:

This came up in discussions before and is not the case. Damage caused by 3rd party batteries is not covered by warranty.

Well, yes, but everyone always claims to not be using a third party battery. "Oh no, I was using the battery that came with it". It is like the iPhone water detector; everyone always claims they didn't drop it in the pool. The circuitry makes the problem go away. Until someone duplicates it, of course.

I assume Panasonic would just deny the repair until further examination of the offending battery (proof of OEM failure). I would think they would definately try to remove faulty equipment from circulation. This argument can go on forever and I don't work for Panasonic, nor have any loyalty towards Panasonic.

I worked in a camera store for some years. There would still be cement dust > embedded in the camera while the person was insisting they didn't drop it. I am
sympathetic to manufacturers in this regard. Of course, I also look forward to a

Are you saying that you can't trust some customers? There is just as likely to be an honest customer as a dishonest one. Only Panasonic is doing the battery thing (for cameras as you pointed out). Does the E-P1 work fine with generic batteries? Doesn't seem like they have been forced to make "so many repairs" caused by all those generic batteries....... How about Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony.... ?

quality, cheap 3rd party battery that will work in my GH1

If you can find a copy of the initial 1.2 upgrade before they reposted the crippled version, you could use 3rd party batteries. The Japanese website had the generic friendly version up longer and may still be up. Wouldn't it be nice to have 2 or 3 spare batteries for the price of one? At your own risk, of course. I for one am willing to take that risk.

Also, why would Panasonic lock out 3rd party batteries that have protection circuitry?

Like most car batteries? Laptop batteries? Phone batteries?

Fran

P. Kierstead
Like?

fsmith wrote:

Like most car batteries? Laptop batteries? Phone batteries?

The question is how many warranty repairs on those things are performed due to faulty batteries. I don't know, but I do know manufacturers have, on and off, claimed very high numbers. Of course, they may well be making excuses.

And no, you can't trust the customer blindly . Some customers will try to screw you. If enough of them try it, you might be inclined to protect yourself.

I'm not defending Panasonic; I think they have made the wrong decision here. However, its not like they are suddenly going to be making millions selling batteries. I think the characterization as it being purely to screw the customer on an extra battery purchase to be rather over-done, though I will admit the thought may have crossed their mind.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads