Anyone have any luck with third party wireless remote for D3

Started Aug 22, 2009 | Discussions
nudibranches
Regular MemberPosts: 314
Like?
Anyone have any luck with third party wireless remote for D3
Aug 22, 2009

After my cable release was purloined by a rotten (read rabid) monkey in Bali I decided to grab a wireless remote.

I only have myself to blame as I grabbed a Chinese Phottix (or some such garbage) wireless and it worked....twice....before cacking itself. Perfect timing during some glorious early morning light at Sydney Heads.

Yep, you get what you pay for.

I've had a look on line and can't seem to locate the "genuine" Nikon wireless remote.

Anyone having any luck with third party wireless releases? If not, I will grab the Nikon...when I find it.

Many thanks,

lordnikon
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?
Re: Anyone have any luck with third party wireless remote for D3
In reply to nudibranches, Aug 22, 2009

For such an expensive camera, I wouldn't want to risk it and get an aftermarket shutter release cable, let alone a wireless remote.

Just my 2 cents.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dapluke
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
In reply to lordnikon, Aug 22, 2009

The Phottix model works flawlessly on my D700. The build quality is excellent. I purchased it after getting recommendation from this site. Ordered on a Saturday arrived from Hong Kong on Tuesday. I think it cost about $59 US.

Pradipta Dutta
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,753Gear list
Like?
Nikon's ML-3 remotes are readily available nowadays
In reply to nudibranches, Aug 22, 2009

nudibranches wrote:

After my cable release was purloined by a rotten (read rabid) monkey in Bali I decided to grab a wireless remote.
[snip]

I've had a look on line and can't seem to locate the "genuine" Nikon wireless remote.

Nikon's ML-3 wireless remotes are readily available nowadays. Check out BH -

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37754-GREY/Nikon_4645_ML_3_Compact_Modulite_Remote.html

-- hide signature --
 Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
nudibranches
Like?
In reply to Dapluke, Aug 23, 2009

interesting Dapluke that you've had no problems, maybe I received a dodgy copy but either way it failed on the second outing.

Well, that's not entirely true. The wireless remote doesn't work any more, although I can still fire the shutter via the release button on the transmitter. But that kind of defeats the point of a wireless but at least I have that as a backup for tripod shots until I decide what to do about my next purchase.

I've always thought third party were the way to go and "genuine" Nikon were just overpriced for the "name". But after this and one or two other experiences I might cut the Chinese-made products out of the equation....seems to be just too hit and miss.

Sagittarius
Senior MemberPosts: 2,868
Like?
In reply to nudibranches, Aug 23, 2009

Hi,

I also have Phottix and it works without any problems. I remeber reading some reports about faulty units. When people contacted supplier, they exchanged it.
--
Best regards

Yamil R. Sued
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,526
Like?

Well...

I have been doing Remotes for over 15 years!!

I used to use the Nikon ML-2 with the MC-25 conversion, not bad but needs to be Line of Sight, it's INfrared!!

Now I use the Tamrac MicroSynch!

I like the Paul C Buff CuberSynch but.... You can't run your Camera on Continuous, it has to be Single Frame only!! And for Sports, not an option!! I'm not that good!!

If you're looking for the NIkon, LMK, I sold my kit to a buddy and now he's looking to dump it, he's into the MicroSynchs too!!

I have two sets of MycroSynchs and they ROCK!!

Y

nudibranches wrote:

I only have myself to blame as I grabbed a Chinese Phottix (or some such garbage) wireless and it worked....twice....before cacking itself. Perfect timing during some glorious early morning light at Sydney Heads.

Yep, you get what you pay for.

Anyone having any luck with third party wireless releases? If not, I will grab the Nikon...when I find it.

Many thanks,

ChicagoNikonGuy
Regular MemberPosts: 208
Like?
Pocket Wizard for me.
In reply to Yamil R. Sued, Aug 23, 2009

I know they are a bit pricey but I use the Pocket Wizard. They just work and work and work. And from almost 1000 feet away.

If you use a transceiver on the camera you can also remotely fire flashes if you want to.

My only complaint is the almost $100 (sometimes more) cost of the remote to Nikon cable.

Jay J Hector
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
The real Nikon wireless remotes are the MW 1 & 2 . . .

This from a post I made on photo.net a few years ago . . .

Some other alternatives using Nikon MC adapters from 2 or 3-pin to 10-pin:

Spiratone sold a small radio remote for 3-pin bodies (like the F2) in the late '70s/early '80s. I still have mine and with adapters works up to about 100yds on any current 10-pin body. It requires two pushes of the button, one to turn the metering/AF on, and one to fire the shutter. It's very light.

Nikon MW-1: The big boy, aluminum cases and can fire off up to three bodies using MC-5 cables from the receiver to the cameras. Range up to 700 meters. You can find them on ebay for anywhere from 200-400 bucks. As with the Spiratone, it requires adapter MC cables for 10-pin use and requires two pushes to fire, the first to turn on metering/AF. I have one MW-1 set. Transmitter and receiver each require eight AA batteries.

Nikon MW-2: The most recent radio remote from Nikon, plastic cases and only use four AA each for the transmitter and receiver. Slightly shorter range with the lower power, maybe 500 meters. Since this was designed for F3 and later cameras, it requires only one push of the button to fire, but it is stepped, so the half-push turns on metering/AF. This unit requires MC-18 cables and can fire up to three bodies also. I have two sets of MW-2s, and usually these go on ebay for up to 600 bucks. I bought an MW-2 transmitter off of ebay for ten bucks, and then two years later I got the receiver for fifty off of ebay. Not too bad for a total of sixty bucks (I did have to get a cable later which wasn't cheap, but kept the total under 100 bucks). The second set was an ebay as-is purchase from Adorama, where they said it didn't work, but it came with three sets of cables and the cases and looked perfect so I bid and got it for 157 bucks. When I got it I took apart the transmitter and cleaned the battery contacts and it worked perfectly to match the perfect looks of the set. I can fire six cameras at once using one transmitter with both receivers.

Both the MW-1/MW-2 work great with my MT-1 intervalometer for unmanned time-lapse at a distance.

You should also look at at the ML-1/ML-2 IR remotes.

nudibranches
Like?
Re: The real Nikon wireless remotes are the MW 1 & 2 . . .
In reply to Jay J Hector, Aug 23, 2009

thanks for the replies...once bitten twice shy. I am going to splurg on the Nikon, probably made in China any way!

lordnikon
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?
Re: The real Nikon wireless remotes are the MW 1 & 2 . . .

I really doubt where it's made matters. You probably were unlucky and got yourself a dud.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads