S90: Has lens cap?

Started Aug 19, 2009 | Discussions
Carl Lumma
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
S90: Has lens cap?
Aug 19, 2009

I bought an LX3 and returned it. Because it had a lens cap (and because it arrived right around the time of the micro 4/3 announce, and I wanted to wait and see what would come of that). Now, you may say I'm completely unreasonable and weird, but I think the idea of a removable lens cap on a compact digicam is really primitive.

None of the images of the S90 show a lens cap, but none show the lens in a closed position either. And none show the side profile of the camera all closed up. So, can dpreview staff say a word about this?

Really, if I wanted to fumble to remove a lens cap, I'd carry a DSLR. If I wanted to have to worry about putting it somewhere that dirt won't get in it (and subsequently on my lens), I'd carry a DSLR.

-Carl

Lord of the Badgers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,726
Like?
Re: S90: Has lens cap?
In reply to Carl Lumma, Aug 19, 2009

Carl Lumma wrote:

I bought an LX3 and returned it. Because it had a lens cap (and because it arrived right around the time of the micro 4/3 announce, and I wanted to wait and see what would come of that). Now, you may say I'm completely unreasonable and weird, but I think the idea of a removable lens cap on a compact digicam is really primitive.

no not weird, that's preference

None of the images of the S90 show a lens cap, but none show the lens in a closed position either. And none show the side profile of the camera all closed up. So, can dpreview staff say a word about this?

Really, if I wanted to fumble to remove a lens cap, I'd carry a DSLR. If I wanted to have to worry about putting it somewhere that dirt won't get in it (and subsequently on my lens), I'd carry a DSLR.

Well tbh, a hard lens cap probably offers better protection than the usual shutter-type protection surely. If the shutter-type of protection fails it's a big bill or replacement & i'm not convinced that many of them protect lenses as well as they purport

I don't think that's an argument for choosing to pack the SLR or the compact to be honest

-Carl

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Richard Butler
dpreview AdminPosts: 1,969
Like?

Carl Lumma wrote:

The S90 doesn't require a separate lens cap - it has metal blades that close over the lens when it's powered-down. Wouldn't have put me off an LX3, personally but, there you go.

Richard - dpreview.com

Peter G
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,944
Like?
No Cap, closed pic here:

Closed lens pic here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=19210#ModelFeaturesAct

Click on the second feature item:

"This compact and pocket-sized camera is a must-have for everyday use for the advanced amateur."

You can then see it with closed lens with shutters in place.

DrewS40
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
In reply to Richard Butler, Aug 19, 2009

Richard, can you comment on the profile of the S90 with the lens closed? I am looking at the side picture posted in your news article and it shows the lens body surrounded by a serrated ring. Does the lens go beyond this ring when it is fully powered off?

DrewS40
Like?
Re: No Cap, closed pic here:
In reply to Peter G, Aug 19, 2009

Good find, it looks nice and compact.

Carl Lumma
Like?

Peter G wrote:

Closed lens pic here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&
fcategoryid=144&modelid=19210#ModelFeaturesAct

Click on the second feature item:
"This compact and pocket-sized camera is a must-have for everyday use
for the advanced amateur."

You can then see it with closed lens with shutters in place.

Thank you! I also tried the 360deg viewer to get an idea of the side profile of the camera. Simply stunning. The long, long wait for a real digicam is finally over (speaking not only a former LX3, but also a former DP1, owner).

-Carl

Carl Lumma
Like?
In reply to Richard Butler, Aug 19, 2009

Thanks for your reply, Richard! -Carl

mamallama
Forum ProPosts: 31,271Gear list
Like?

Peter G wrote:

Closed lens pic here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=19210#ModelFeaturesAct

That's an interesting link to the Canon site. The link has the very first review of the camera that's just announced today. It's signed by a "Canon employee", and it a scathing review. Interesting.

-- hide signature --

mamallama

sherwoodpete
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,761
Like?
In reply to mamallama, Aug 19, 2009

mamallama wrote:

Peter G wrote:

Closed lens pic here:

That's an interesting link to the Canon site. The link has the very first review of the camera that's just announced today. It's signed by a "Canon employee", and it a scathing review. Interesting.

-- hide signature --

mamallama

Chances are the whole review is fictional, made up by a fan of some other brand.

T3
T3
Forum ProPosts: 17,725
Like?
In reply to Lord of the Badgers, Aug 19, 2009

Lord of the Badgers wrote:

Carl Lumma wrote:

no not weird, that's preference

No, I think it's primitive. Heck, I'd love it if my SLR lenses had built-in auto-closing lens caps, if only it were technologically feasible!

Well tbh, a hard lens cap probably offers better protection than the usual shutter-type protection surely. If the shutter-type of protection fails it's a big bill or replacement & i'm not convinced that many of them protect lenses as well as they purport

I've have half a dozen compact cameras with shutter-type lens protectors. I've used them, abused them, and have never had any issues. They protect fine, and I've never heard of anyone ever saying that their shutter-type protector wasn't able to adequately protect their lens. It's just one of those things that works. And given the countless numbers of P&S cameras out there with shutter-type closures, being around for years now, even since the days of film P&S cameras, if these closures really were inadequate protection, we would have heard plenty about it by now. Shutter-type protectors have withstood the test of time and quantity.

T3
T3
Like?
In reply to mamallama, Aug 19, 2009

mamallama wrote:

Peter G wrote:

Closed lens pic here:

That's just one guy's opinion. For me, the specs and handling look right on: G10-sized sensor, full manual control, not too many megapixels, RAW, fast lens, great size, stealthy black finish, cool lens control ring. And the street price will probably be lower.

DrewS40
Like?
In reply to T3, Aug 19, 2009

It hardly qualifies an an opinion. He just says it "feels cheap". Nothing about the image quality, speed, etc.

I have used quite a few Powershots and none of the higher end ones have felt cheap. I doubt this one will either.

T3
T3
Like?
In reply to DrewS40, Aug 19, 2009

DrewS40 wrote:

It hardly qualifies an an opinion. He just says it "feels cheap". Nothing about the image quality, speed, etc.

I have used quite a few Powershots and none of the higher end ones have felt cheap. I doubt this one will either.

Agreed. Besides, I had a Canon SD550. Very solid feeling, but that thing was heavy-feeling like a smooth rock. Plenty solid feeling for me. The SD550 was 192 grams, with battery. The S90 is 175 grams without battery, so it looks like it'll probably be just about as heavy as the SD550, maybe slightly lighter. That's fine by me. I'm using a Fuji F40 right now, which weighs 181g with battery. If the S90 comes in around that weight, I'm happy. I actually prefer the slightly lighter weight of the F40 to the heavier weight of the SSD550.

craytonmccant
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
In reply to T3, Aug 19, 2009

I have a G10 that has several abrasions on the front lens due to the "shutter lens protector" rubbing on the lens when the camera is in the off position.

I am going to send it back to Canon to have the abrasions/lens fixed.

T3
T3
Like?
In reply to craytonmccant, Aug 19, 2009

craytonmccant wrote:

I have a G10 that has several abrasions on the front lens due to the "shutter lens protector" rubbing on the lens when the camera is in the off position.

I am going to send it back to Canon to have the abrasions/lens fixed.

I'd say that's still in the extreme minority considering how many auto closing lens digicams are out there in circulation. A properly designed one, with enough space between the closing cover and the lens surface, shouldn't have that issue. And obviously, it also depends on the size of the front of the lens. Just because a particular camera, or lens, or design might have created an issue with a certain person certainly isn't an indictment of all auto-closing lens covers. Besides, how many people get lens abrasions because they forget to put their external lens cap on their lens when they are not using the lens? Probably lots. If most digicams had external lens caps, we'd probably be seeing a lot more stories of lens scratches and lens dirtying because people failed to put their lens cap on every time , or because they mis-placed their cap, or whatever.

johnparas11zenfoliodotcom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,194Gear list
Like?
In reply to T3, Aug 20, 2009

I think one of the reasons that I got the G10 over the LX3 was because the G10 had a built in lens cap-- while the LX3 doesn't have it...

it would have been nice if the G10 had a 24mm though or the LX3 had a built in lens cap/shutter lens cap and the lens goes inside the body more like the G10 does...

so I guess my ideal camera would be a G11 (the newly announced one) ---with a 24mm starting wide angle

johnparas11zenfoliodotcom's gear list:johnparas11zenfoliodotcom's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D90 Nikon D300S Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 +6 more
mjsneddon
Regular MemberPosts: 218Gear list
Like?
In reply to johnparas11zenfoliodotcom, Aug 20, 2009

If I may speculate a little...I suspect that how one feels about a camera having a lens cap is a function of the person's age or how long they have been using cameras. Speaking as one who is past 60, I am used to a camera having a lens cap. When I use a camera today that has a lens cap, I do the same thing I have done for 40 years...I take it off and put it in my pocket. When I am done using the camera, I reach in my pocket and pull out the lens cap, blow off any pocket lint and put it back on the camera. Seems simple.

Have a great day!
--
Respectfully,
Mike Sneddon
Mattoon, IL USA

mjsneddon's gear list:mjsneddon's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D
T3
T3
Like?
In reply to mjsneddon, Aug 20, 2009

mjsneddon wrote:

If I may speculate a little...I suspect that how one feels about a camera having a lens cap is a function of the person's age or how long they have been using cameras. Speaking as one who is past 60, I am used to a camera having a lens cap. When I use a camera today that has a lens cap, I do the same thing I have done for 40 years...I take it off and put it in my pocket. When I am done using the camera, I reach in my pocket and pull out the lens cap, blow off any pocket lint and put it back on the camera. Seems simple.

Have a great day!

Well, that's probably true. And when you walk up to a television to change the channel, you probably want to reach for a knob to turn. Yeah, I remember those days.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads