D5000 Letter to send back for additional & enhanced procedure

Started Aug 13, 2009 | Discussions
Moges
Senior MemberPosts: 1,620
Like?
D5000 Letter to send back for additional & enhanced procedure
Aug 13, 2009

As a reminder, I'm a D5000 owner who has already sent and received their repaired camera for the power control issue as per the Nikon service advisory.

This morning I noticed a [very light] box at my front door. It was from Nikon Inc., Enfield CT. Inside was a letter and packaging material. According the letter Nikon is requesting I return my D5000 to them for "an additional and enhanced procedure."

I don't mind sending it back as I have no major events for a few weeks.

Anyone else get the letter?

Malinda

JoKing
Senior MemberPosts: 2,087
Like?
Re: D5000 Letter to send back for additional & enhanced procedure
In reply to Moges, Aug 13, 2009

Oh boy, Nikon really isn't handling this D5000 recall well!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Patco
Forum ProPosts: 11,455
Like?

"Recall - Part Deux"???

Looks like Nikon may have perhaps found other problems with the D5000, and has also added more serial numbers to their list:

"Important:

As of August 12, 2009 additional product serial numbers have been added to the list of “Affected Product Serial Numbers”. If you have previously checked your camera’s serial number prior to August 12, 2009 we recommend that you try again with the updated list."

http://nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/D5000-Service-Advisory.page

Moges wrote:

As a reminder, I'm a D5000 owner who has already sent and received their repaired camera for the power control issue as per the Nikon service advisory.

This morning I noticed a [very light] box at my front door. It was from Nikon Inc., Enfield CT. Inside was a letter and packaging material. According the letter Nikon is requesting I return my D5000 to them for "an additional and enhanced procedure."

I don't mind sending it back as I have no major events for a few weeks.

Anyone else get the letter?

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

Moges
Like?
Yes, Patco. Part Deux Re: D5000 Letter to send back for additional
In reply to Patco, Aug 13, 2009

I'm about to drop it off at UPS for part deux.

When I first contacted Amazon (where I ordered the D5000 from) about possibly returning to Amazon as I mentioned in a post, they told me when I sent the D5000 in to Nikon I was going to get a new one. It seemed unlikely to most of us.

I see at least one person here posted a new body was returned to them and now another person got back their D5000 with a different serial number (maybe a new one also?).

Maybe the fix is a new body?

Time will tell.

Patco wrote:

"Recall - Part Deux"???

LKD
LKD
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
Re: D5000 Letter

Malinda. How long have you had your camera back? I wonder how many will be asked for again?

qbo
qbo
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?

I had received my D5000 back after Nikon had it for a week. It was a fast turn around service. My camera works fine. I tried it under different lighting, so far no problems. I'm heading to Las Vegas for Labor Day Weekend. I hope I don't encounter any problems. I will report back, if any problems. I almost forgot, I did not receive a note from Nikon for additional repair.

Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,176Gear list
Like?
I don't mind, but.....(and this is a big BUT) -

This may turn out to be a marketing fiasco for Nikon. Like you, I was one of the first ones to send in my D5000 and I got it back within a week - albeit with a smashed Schott LCD Protector, which wound up scratching my articulating LCD slightly. I was not a happy camper when I got my D5000 back like this.

But now, to get this letter (which I got today), telling us to send it back again - to the same goons (Precision), to do another update - well, it is turning out to be a frustrating inconvenience.

On the positive side one could argue that Nikon cares and wants to ensure we get the best work possible, however, on the other hand, it results in a tremendous inconvenience to the owners of the D5000 who are having to play a running game back and forth to the UPS stores to ship these things in (not to mention the time not having the D5000 for shooting purposes) to have them serviced and reserviced.....c'mon Nikon.

-- hide signature --

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 +27 more
bper
Regular MemberPosts: 178
Like?
Re: I don't mind, but.....(and this is a big BUT) -
In reply to Ben Herrmann, Aug 13, 2009

Malinda - I would be a little leary on this. What if someone is impersonating Nikon and sending these letters and boxes out to get free cameras. I think I would call Nikon service and make sure this is legit. I guess I'm a little jumping about these things with all the scams going on these days - bper

Bejersey
Forum ProPosts: 11,650
Like?
Please email rhoughton@nikon.net with your comments...

Please let him know that this is unacceptable if you're so inclined.
Here's his info...
Richard Houghton Jr.
Sr. Customer Relations Manager

Nikon Inc.
841 Apollo Street
Suite 100
El Segundo CA 90245-4721

Office: 310-414-5150
Fax: 310-414-5160
rhoughton@nikon.net http://www.nikonusa.com

-- hide signature --
ocrampix
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,706
Like?
Re: I don't mind, but.....(and this is a big BUT) -
In reply to bper, Aug 13, 2009

bper wrote:

Malinda - I would be a little leary on this. What if someone is impersonating Nikon and sending these letters and boxes out to get free cameras. I think I would call Nikon service and make sure this is legit. I guess I'm a little jumping about these things with all the scams going on these days - bper

Are you kidding!

The mailing address is legitimate:
http://www.nikon-instruments.jp/eng/service/after/nexiv_contact.htm#AS

Marco
--
http://www.flickr.com/front_curtain

Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,176Gear list
Like?
Ah Ohhhhh....the new conspiracy theories arise :-)

Sigh - it's legit, in fact, they send you a next day air UPS shipping label, so they want to get it quickly. The biggest inconvenience is packing it and traveling to and from the UPS place - especially for those folks who live in the country and not near any type of shipping facility.

Oh well, I'll play this game one more time - am shipping mine out today.

-- hide signature --

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 +27 more
tansenpai
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
Re: Please email rhoughton@nikon.net with your comments...
In reply to Bejersey, Aug 13, 2009

hmmmm maybe that's why mine is taking a little longer to get repaired. I just hope so.... I would be very upset if I had to send it in again. I didn't even get to use mine yet : (

Bejersey
Forum ProPosts: 11,650
Like?
In reply to tansenpai, Aug 13, 2009

Well, again there is no way that camera is going back until I have another in my possession. And the rub is: the people who sent their camera right away so they would get it back as soon as possible are getting the short end and that people like me who haven't sent it will not have to go thru this two part fiasco...
Rick
--
http://bejersey.smugmug.com/

Steve
Contributing MemberPosts: 573
Like?
Re: Ah Ohhhhh....the new conspiracy theories arise :-)

If you have a friendly business nearby that has a daily UPS pick-up you could ask them to put your package with theirs. Unless you need packing materials there's no reason you HAVE to take it to a UPS facility.

-- hide signature --

Steve Hagensieker
Jack's Camera Shop

Moges
Like?
In reply to LKD, Aug 13, 2009

LKD wrote:

Malinda. How long have you had your camera back?

I had my camera back for almost 10 days.
UPS delivered Aug. 3, 2009, 6:34 PM

I wonder how many will be asked for again?

Good question.

nurbzulu
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?

They shipped mine yesterday and the guy told me that the second repair should be done on it, that i would receive a phone call if i need to send it back.
I should receive it today, i sent it the 27th of july.

Moges
Like?
bper thnaks for the concern Re: I don't mind, but.....(and this is a big BUT) -

I dropped off the box to the UPS Store a short while ago. Packages are not picked up from that location until 6:30 PM. I had a little concern myself. Tried tracking online but its too early to display info. Called the UPS store asking the exact address the camera was being shipped to. It is going to the correct address:
Nikon
9 Anngina Drive
Enfield, CT.

Looks legit

bper wrote:

Moges
Like?
nurbzulu Re: D5000 Letter
In reply to nurbzulu, Aug 13, 2009

That is a long time. I recall you're working with Nikon repair in Canada. Hope you receive your camera today and the additional procedure is complete.

nurbzulu wrote:

They shipped mine yesterday and the guy told me that the second repair should be done on it, that i would receive a phone call if i need to send it back.
I should receive it today, i sent it the 27th of july.

Moges
Like?
A little more info Re: Ah Ohhhhh....the new conspiracy theories arise :-)

I was pleased to see "UPS Next Day Air" instead of ground shipping this time.

The package I received was shipped from Farmingdale, NY. This would be the closest UPS Customer Center to Nikon in Melville, NY. The camera is being shipped back to Precision Camera in Enfield, CT.

Ben Herrmann wrote:

Sigh - it's legit, in fact, they send you a next day air UPS shipping label, so they want to get it quickly. The biggest inconvenience is packing it and traveling to and from the UPS place - especially for those folks who live in the country and not near any type of shipping facility.

Oh well, I'll play this game one more time - am shipping mine out today.

Steven W. Bennett
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,684
Like?
In reply to Bejersey, Aug 13, 2009

Bejersey wrote:

Please let him know that this is unacceptable if you're so inclined.
Here's his info...
Richard Houghton Jr.

So, you'd be happier if they didn't fix the cameras?
I don't know what all the bitching is about. They're
doing the right thing and all people do is whine.
Is it unfortunate? Yes. Is it a hassle? Yes. Are they
making it right? Yes. Sh*t happens.

Steve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads