African Weaver Bird Courtship.

Started Aug 9, 2009 | Discussions
ER_ Wizard
ER_ Wizard Forum Pro • Posts: 10,663
African Weaver Bird Courtship.

Greetings All. A number of year back Jill planted a thorn tree in our garden, now it is a massive tree & home to many birds, of which the masked weaver is the main tenant.

This little bird is a master in weaving the perfect nest, no help from the females. He gathers long grasses & palm tree fronds that he has stripped into long thin pieces. these he weaves into a round next with a hole on the bottom. Once completed he will sit on a branch shivering his little wings trying to attract a lady to check out his work.

If she is comfortable with his work, she will move in :-). If not she destroys his work & he starts again. Last season he had 13 nests going & defended his territory like a Sheik his harem.

This morning I was out just after sunrise hoping to get the benefit of the golden hour in Jill's garden. I heard a commotion at the top of the garden, went to see what it was about and found our little friend hard at work.

I had the 500mm on the A700, all set on my tripod, so I grabbed a few shots. These I share now.

1. 1. Checking out the Talent.

1. 2 & 3 . Final Inspection.

1. 4.Invitation Flutter.

1. 5. Lady Inside.

1. 6. Removing a Thread.

1. 7. Lady Rocket Exit.

Regards.

Ernest.
--

May the Focus be with you
707,717,828,R1,P8,H9,A700

ER_ Wizard's gear list:ER_ Wizard's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD
technophile Veteran Member • Posts: 3,337
Re: African Weaver Bird Courtship.

Excellent shots of a beautiful bird, well composed. We don't have anything with intricate nests like that around here. I'd certainly say it was time well spent getting out early and catching the light. Thanks for sharing these.
--
http://araasch.zenfolio.com/

technophile's gear list:technophile's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
busch
busch Forum Pro • Posts: 32,805

Wonderful series, Ernest! Thanks for the briefing on these birds; very interesting. I guess the females expect a penthouse.

-- hide signature --

Busch

Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.

http://www.pbase.com/busch

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +12 more
Benoz
Benoz Veteran Member • Posts: 6,241

Amazing! I would like to see what the inside looks like! Obviously there must be a flat section where the eggs would lay without rolling down and out.
Thank for sharing this great series Ernest!
--

Ben.
C & C always welcome.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benoz/

Benoz's gear list:Benoz's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-70 Pentax KP Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +4 more
Velvet Ant Senior Member • Posts: 1,909

Amazing photos and a great intro. One of the finest threads I've seen at DPR.
--
Jada

Hutchman Veteran Member • Posts: 8,487

Nice work Ernest, a very interesting post and a fascinating subject

Thanks for posting.
--
John
'Hutchman'

Galleries at http://hutchman.smugmug.com/

ER_ Wizard
OP ER_ Wizard Forum Pro • Posts: 10,663
Hi Tech.

Thank you. as they say the early worm catches the bird

Regards.
--

Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD
ER_ Wizard
Hi Gary.

it is the same in our world LOL. last year he had all 13 nests destroyed by his ladies. but this guy is very persistent & he did manage his bakers dozen wives LOL. He must be a glutton for punishment.

regards.

Ernest
--

ER_ Wizard
Hi Ben.

I have taken many a nest apart when I was a kid with no brains or understanding of life. The inside is very well constructed & the eggs & chicks rest in the bulb part. These little nests are water tight & can survive the worst of storms. I will try to find a discarded nest and cut it in half & post it for your info.

Regards.

Ernest
--

ER_ Wizard
Hi Jada.

Welcome to the Sony forum. Glad you enjoyed the pics & thank you for your kind words.

Regards.

Ernest.
--

ER_ Wizard
Hi John.

Thank you. these little birds are among our favorites in the garden. The little male is feisty & fears none of the other birds, a real little fighter. Jill feeds the birds & he is always the first at the seed. The sad thing is farmers destroy these little birds as they are very destructive when it comes to wheat. They will sit on the top of the ear & break off the wheat. Still as I am not a farmer, I am very fond of them & they are always welcome in our garden.

Regards.

Ernest
--

Yehuda Katz Forum Pro • Posts: 25,916
Ernest,

Very wonderful photos and interesting story.
Thank you,
Yehuda

ER_ Wizard wrote:

Greetings All. A number of year back Jill planted a thorn tree in our garden, now it is a massive tree & home to many birds, of which the masked weaver is the main tenant.

This little bird is a master in weaving the perfect nest, no help from the females. He gathers long grasses & palm tree fronds that he has stripped into long thin pieces. these he weaves into a round next with a hole on the bottom. Once completed he will sit on a branch shivering his little wings trying to attract a lady to check out his work.

If she is comfortable with his work, she will move in :-). If not she destroys his work & he starts again. Last season he had 13 nests going & defended his territory like a Sheik his harem.

This morning I was out just after sunrise hoping to get the benefit of the golden hour in Jill's garden. I heard a commotion at the top of the garden, went to see what it was about and found our little friend hard at work.

I had the 500mm on the A700, all set on my tripod, so I grabbed a few shots. These I share now.

1. 1. Checking out the Talent.

1. 2 & 3 . Final Inspection.

1. 4.Invitation Flutter.

1. 5. Lady Inside.

1. 6. Removing a Thread.

1. 7. Lady Rocket Exit.

Regards.

Ernest.
--

Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,908

The little fellow is as industrious and skilled as a Beaver in home construction. What a heartbreak it must be if his lady friends reject and dismantle his hard work.

This is an excellent series, portraying a master crafter. That folded-wing dive out the bombbay door was a well-timed catch.
--
Steve McDonald
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22121562@N00/
http://www.vimeo.com/user458315/videos

http://video.yahoo.com/people/4019627

OTD Forum Pro • Posts: 18,701
The chicks wear nest belts to keep from falling out?

Photos so good they must be Charles Bikeguy's.
--
Marion

http://www.pbase.com/stf

bikeguy
bikeguy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,600

Great lookin' boids and an interesting lesson. "A man's work is never done"

cheers,
charles

bikeguy's gear list:bikeguy's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony a6300 +9 more
B Gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,588

Absolutely amazing pictures Ernest!

But that poor little guy! It's not enough to be rebuffed? She had to shred his work too? There's no pleasing some women!!

BG
--
A squirrel in the hand is much harder to shoot than two in the bush!!

Duck44 Senior Member • Posts: 2,261

Ernest,

Nicely done. Love the red eyes.

His life sounds hectic.

Rich

Duck44's gear list:Duck44's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a6500 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
ParietalPenguin
ParietalPenguin Senior Member • Posts: 2,963
Thanks for sharing . . .

the story as well as the pictures. Beautiful shots of a handsome and interesting bird. I, too, was wondering about the eggs.

p.s. Don't you think you could nip those nasty thorns off so your birds don't get speared?
--

Karen

ParietalPenguin's gear list:ParietalPenguin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
depleted Senior Member • Posts: 1,323
Nature is amazing.

Many thanks for sharing these.

ER_ Wizard
Shalom Yehuda.

Thank you. We are delighted with our tenants :-).

Regards.

Ernest
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads