Sigma 18-250 vs Canon 18-200/Tamron 18-270 (?)

Started Jul 22, 2009 | Discussions
Photofreak7
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,703
Like?
Sigma 18-250 vs Canon 18-200/Tamron 18-270 (?)
Jul 22, 2009

... well I'm finding very little 'real life' comparisons (or reviews for that matter) anywhere showing which of these lenses is the better one to have. I am leaning toward the Sigma due to the HSM -but- the Canon has a slightly brighter long end and of course the Tamron has a slightly longer reach. Is there any 'new' 'vital' info available now that these lenses have been out for a bit? (not that it makes a difference but this is for a Rebel T1i)

• Matt

PhillipA
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,505
Like?
Re: Sigma 18-250 vs Canon 18-200/Tamron 18-270 (?)
In reply to Photofreak7, Jul 22, 2009

There is an excellent comparison between the Canon 18-200, The Tamron 18-270 and the Sigma 18- 200 here http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/superzoomtest This was published before the Sigma 18-250 was released, but the few comments I have seen here haven't been too positive about the newer lens

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Photofreak7
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,703
Like?
In reply to PhillipA, Jul 8, 2010

thanks for the info ... very interesting 'nod' in the Tamron's favor from what I've read. I just purchased a Canon 17-55 f/2.8 lens and am now leaning toward pairing it with a Canon 55-250 IS instead of getting a 'superzoomer' ... the 55-250 is around $200 and has better optics altough the Tamron is tempting to try out.

PhillipA wrote:

There is an excellent comparison between the Canon 18-200, The Tamron 18-270 and the Sigma 18- 200 here http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/superzoomtest This was published before the Sigma 18-250 was released, but the few comments I have seen here haven't been too positive about the newer lens

BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 19,199
Like?
In reply to Photofreak7, Jul 8, 2010

Go look in the reviews section of Digital Photography Review, under superzooms.

The link is probably at the very top of the screen you are looking at right now.

BAK

aVolanche
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,553Gear list
Like?

Photofreak7 wrote:

... well I'm finding very little 'real life' comparisons (or reviews for that matter) anywhere showing which of these lenses is the better one to have. I am leaning toward the Sigma due to the HSM -but- the Canon has a slightly brighter long end and of course the Tamron has a slightly longer reach. Is there any 'new' 'vital' info available now that these lenses have been out for a bit? (not that it makes a difference but this is for a Rebel T1i)

• Matt

I recently went through a purchasing decision for a superzoom for my wifes' T2i.We ended up with the Tamron 18-270 VC.The Canon 18-200IS was a very close 2nd in our decision.I'd be happy with either.

In the end,the extra reach and better image stabilization of the Tamron won out over the slightly better handling Canon.The Canon also focuses slightly better in very low light.Tamron's rebate made the prices equal.

The Sigma gets poor reviews,and my previous experience with a couple of long Sigma zooms put it out of the picture.

The Tamron 18-250mm (non-VC) was another lens we saw.But I just can't go without image stabilization!The image quality was dead even with the 18-270mm.

I'd suggest trying out a couple of these lenses.It's the only way to really get a feel for the differences and see the true image quality(which is really very close among all the lenses we tested).The reviews seem to be all over the place on which is best,which makes me wary.We have been VERY happy with the 18-270mm VC......You may prefer another.

Good luck! Fred

Giuseppe Gallo Maresca
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to BAK, Jul 8, 2010

There is a review about those lenses:

http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/canon_18-200_sigma18-250_tamrom18-250_18-270.htm

I had a Sigma 18-200mm OS HSM, but it didn't satisfy me about sharpness at 35mm and 200mm (maybe due to front-focus problem).
Now I have a Canon 18-200 IS. I found better resolution, autofocus and bokeh.

jrarsenault
Senior MemberPosts: 1,143
Like?
In reply to aVolanche, Jul 8, 2010

I agree with the statement below..... The reviews have been all over the place with these lens'. I have read many reviews in the British magazines as well as various on line sites. Each review has come up with different results.

Personally, I bought the Tamron 18-270 about 2 years ago in Hong Kong. I haven't regretted it. I use it as my travel lens and it has performed very well. It is not up to the standard of "L" class lens' but I didn't expect it to be. The two things I like most about the Tamron is its longer reach and its Vibration Control. I also like the wide side of the Tamron. It is truly a "one-fit-all" solution.

aVolanche wrote:

Photofreak7 wrote:

• Matt

I recently went through a purchasing decision for a superzoom for my wifes' T2i.We ended up with the Tamron 18-270 VC.The Canon 18-200IS was a very close 2nd in our decision.I'd be happy with either.

In the end,the extra reach and better image stabilization of the Tamron won out over the slightly better handling Canon.The Canon also focuses slightly better in very low light.Tamron's rebate made the prices equal.

The Sigma gets poor reviews,and my previous experience with a couple of long Sigma zooms put it out of the picture.

The Tamron 18-250mm (non-VC) was another lens we saw.But I just can't go without image stabilization!The image quality was dead even with the 18-270mm.

I'd suggest trying out a couple of these lenses.It's the only way to really get a feel for the differences and see the true image quality(which is really very close among all the lenses we tested).The reviews seem to be all over the place on which is best,which makes me wary.We have been VERY happy with the 18-270mm VC......You may prefer another.

Good luck! Fred

vvume
Regular MemberPosts: 400
Like?

I have the Tamron 18-270mm, which is a wonderful lens optically speaking, but would recommend the Canon 18-200mm solely on the basis of AF. Tamron hunts in anything but excellent light and it can be very frustrating. The difference between 200mm & 270mm can be managed with cropping (particularly on a 7D/550D), but missed shots due to slow AF may not be. Unless you plan on taking static objects in bright light, Tamron is not the way to go. The Canon would also work well with recent bodies that have automatic lens based JPEG corrections.

Photofreak7 wrote:

• Matt

aVolanche
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,553Gear list
Like?
In reply to vvume, Jul 8, 2010

vvume wrote:

I have the Tamron 18-270mm, which is a wonderful lens optically speaking, but would recommend the Canon 18-200mm solely on the basis of AF. Tamron hunts in anything but excellent light and it can be very frustrating. The difference between 200mm & 270mm can be managed with cropping (particularly on a 7D/550D), but missed shots due to slow AF may not be. Unless you plan on taking static objects in bright light, Tamron is not the way to go. The Canon would also work well with recent bodies that have automatic lens based JPEG corrections.

Photofreak7 wrote:

• Matt

Matt,

My Tamron focuses very well in anything but very low light on both a T1i and a T2i.It's a bit noisier than the Canon 18-200IS focus.We used it the other night to shoot high-caliber women's basketball(Tennessee Lady Vols in a high school gym with typically poor lighting).It was really good at locking focus and these women are elite athletes that flat out MOVE!

What body is yours on?Have you tried another copy?

Fred

vvume
Regular MemberPosts: 400
Like?
In reply to aVolanche, Jul 8, 2010

I use it primarily on a 7D which is a top body for fast AF. I also primarily use the center focal point, so it should be relatively easy for the lens/body.

Your situation might be one in which you are taking pictures from far away and there is very little need for focus travel. I am referring to situations where you might need to focus something from near to far in cloudy or indoor situations. I am not saying its unusable, but its nowhere near USM speeds. Perhaps I have been spoilt by my other USM lenses.

The 18-270 AF noise is a huge improvement over my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 which is screetchy. And its VC is spectacular. If only we could switch the AF motor on that lens to USM it would be one heck of a lens.

My Tamron focuses very well in anything but very low light on both a T1i and a T2i.It's a bit noisier than the Canon 18-200IS focus.We used it the other night to shoot high-caliber women's basketball(Tennessee Lady Vols in a high school gym with typically poor lighting).It was really good at locking focus and these women are elite athletes that flat out MOVE!

What body is yours on?Have you tried another copy?

Fred

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads