Black Rapid destroys my D700 and 80-200m

Started Jul 6, 2009 | Discussions
astwood1285
Senior MemberPosts: 1,108
Like?
Re: Impressive work...
In reply to RHeath, Jul 10, 2009

You have a very good site with some wonderful images.
--
albion

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
roger123
Regular MemberPosts: 322
Like?
Re: BlackRapid Rules!
In reply to photonerdcom, Jul 10, 2009

photonerdcom wrote:

That is great customer service... and they did it without hassle.

Thanks to this forum for pointing out the problem, but they seem to really stand behind their product!

• Noah

-- hide signature --

8^D

I'll believe this when they make the OP whole again. I don't think he should hold his breath.

-- hide signature --
Suntan
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,116
Like?
Re: Black Rapid destroys my D700 and 80-200m
In reply to Troye413, Jul 10, 2009

Jeez you guys! Why don’t you just go ahead and kick his dog while you are at it. Or maybe you could call his fiancée a fat cow to boot.

To the OP, might it be possible to borrow/rent gear in the mean time?

-Suntan

markmark
Senior MemberPosts: 1,646
Like?
never happen
In reply to roger123, Jul 10, 2009

the OP will never in his life be whole again...he has unrealistic expectations...

his life (wedding), professional business model and probably his ego are all wrapped up in the d3..he is an equipment weenie....

even if the camera strap people replace his equipment, he will still be derailed by the "lost opportunity" caused by the loss...and he has probably read that " nikon roadmap" thread and will hold off on his life until the d4 arrives..

ActArtPhotog
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?
Re: never happen
In reply to markmark, Jul 10, 2009

markmark wrote:

the OP will never in his life be whole again...he has unrealistic expectations...

his life (wedding), professional business model and probably his ego are all wrapped up in the d3..he is an equipment weenie....

even if the camera strap people replace his equipment, he will still be derailed by the "lost opportunity" caused by the loss...and he has probably read that " nikon roadmap" thread and will hold off on his life until the d4 arrives..

The D3? I have no desire for a D3... what are you talking about? An equipment weenie? Explain. Unrealistic expectations? I love how you seem to just feel you know me so well. My biz model is going to do just fine. I will do my mass mailing to my client base in 2 months, regardless. Until then, I will continue to perform, as I am booked for 2 more shows and a gig with the Jacksonville Symphony. I have purchased a backup manual lens to use till the 80-200mm situation is cleared up. Keep your smart-@&% to yourself.

http://www.wcgreen.net

ActArtPhotog
Like?
In reply to Suntan, Jul 10, 2009

Suntan wrote:

Jeez you guys! Why don’t you just go ahead and kick his dog while you are at it. Or maybe you could call his fiancée a fat cow to boot.

To the OP, might it be possible to borrow/rent gear in the mean time?

-Suntan

Thanks Suntan. There are some real D&%#@es around this forum... people that make this world a pain in the but for the decent folks. The D700 is banged to heck, but is working... just lost a ton of cosmetic value as it looks like it was drug behind a car and is only a couple of months old. The 80-200 is crushed in pretty badly, but I am told it can be repaired for about $150, plus the cost of a new filter... the chipped glass is there for good, but prob will not effect images much... it will certainly, however, kill any resale value, and I will have to keep it, instead of getting the 80-200mm AF-S or the 70-200mm. However, I will make out alright. I bought a mint 105mm 2.5 AIS manual lens to get me through for now.

photonerdcom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,635
Like?
Dude I feel for you... have they contacted you? Will they make good?
In reply to ActArtPhotog, Jul 10, 2009
-- hide signature --

8^D

Suntan
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,116
Like?

Well, I have always been fond of the quality of the 105 AIS. If the manual focus doesn’t slow you down, you should be good to go.

-Suntan

ActArtPhotog
Like?
Re: Dude I feel for you... have they contacted you? Will they make good?
In reply to photonerdcom, Jul 10, 2009

Right now, I feel like they are trying to be fair. I would never expect them to just give me new gear. I like to keep my gear in pristine condition, but I will probably just hang on to this stuff as a backup camera, and perhaps add one of the new Nikons down the road. I usually keep them mint, and trade them in, but this stuff is probably too banged up to hold enough value. Hopefully, the lens will be repaired soon. Till then, I will experiment with the 105mm manual and bone up on my old school focusing.

ActArtPhotog
Like?
In reply to Suntan, Jul 10, 2009

Suntan wrote:

Well, I have always been fond of the quality of the 105 AIS. If the manual focus doesn’t slow you down, you should be good to go.

-Suntan

Hopefully, it will primarily be a backup... I also wanted a portrait lens with a shorter min. focus for tighter quarters... the 80-200mm has 5' min, and the 105mm has a 3' min, I believe. I thought, with things as they are, better to go with the high image quality, and low price, of the 105mm manual, vs. the much higher pricetag of the autofocus version. Considered the 85mm 1.8, but that's a little bit short for the majority of my shots.

PS- thanks to all for their kind words. I will let you know how things work out the end of the month, when I try to repair the 80-200mm.

Sam Striano
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
Re: never happen

Seriously... The guy had a bad deal happen to him and you guys kick him when he is down. Give the guy a break, maybe some of the people with a lot of $$ could help him out, and if not, resit the Reply/Post button.

Some people just amaze me...

Good luck with your wedding, business and situation with the equipment.

Sorry to hear your loss.

Regards,
Sam

ActArtPhotog wrote:

markmark wrote:

The D3? I have no desire for a D3... what are you talking about? An equipment weenie? Explain. Unrealistic expectations? I love how you seem to just feel you know me so well. My biz model is going to do just fine. I will do my mass mailing to my client base in 2 months, regardless. Until then, I will continue to perform, as I am booked for 2 more shows and a gig with the Jacksonville Symphony. I have purchased a backup manual lens to use till the 80-200mm situation is cleared up. Keep your smart-@&% to yourself.

-- hide signature --

Sam Striano

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads