Camera for Traveling

Started Jul 5, 2009 | Discussions
theplanetd
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Camera for Traveling
Jul 5, 2009

I have a dilemma. I am going on the road for at least a year and am at a loss of what camera's to bring with me. Currently I have a 10D with a 16-35L, 70-200L IS 2.8 and a 50mm 1.8. They are all great but it is just too much to bring. I want something that takes great photo's in RAW, is somewhat compact and lightweight and has lots of user controls. I am also looking at bringing a point and shoot like the optio W80 as I will climbing mountains, cycling , trekking etc.

I would love some feedback of what works for people and if it is worth it to bring a new SLR or go for something like the GH1.

thanks in advance,

Dave

BobTrips
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,848
Like?
Re: Camera for Traveling
In reply to theplanetd, Jul 5, 2009

I'm using a Pentax K2000D with a Tamron 18-250 zoom. And I pack a Pentax 10-17 which I may or may not carry during the day (carry mostly when I'm in urban settings).

I found this to be about as small and light a package as possible while still giving me a very wide lens range, full features, and excellent image quality.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hjr13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,243Gear list
Like?
In reply to theplanetd, Jul 5, 2009

I visited Munich last month, and bought a canon g10 for the trip. It wasn't as good as my dslr, but I had it with me at all times and it was easier to pack than a camera and a bunch of lenses. I was satisfied overall going that route.

gigabloke
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
In reply to theplanetd, Jul 6, 2009

I suggest you look at a Fuji Film S100fs. I have one and also a Canon 40D. The Fuji is so versatile I almost always take it with me when I am out and about. I have never actually 'traveled' since I got the S100fs so I can't speak from first-hand experience. However, it was voted as travel camera of the year when it came out in 2008(?)

The S100fs is a camera that 'punches way above it's weight.' Image quality is amazing considering it is a small-sensor mega zoom of 28-400mm equivalent focal length.

I have used it to capture images in dimly lit theater conditions. Even at ISO 6400 it will produce results that can be acceptable for certain purposes. It has similar dynamic range to the 40D. You don't need to carry any extra lenses, the lens is fixed to the body anyway -- so no-dust-on-sensor problems. It shoots RAW and features as many user-controls as many DSLRs.

It's the 3rd mega zoom I've owned. I sold the first two as each was replaced by a better model. When I bought my 40D, no way was I going to sell my S100fs. It's too good to let go.

Check out the review on this site and many others on the web. There are always lots of sample images in the Fuji forum.

Best,
Max
--

True art heals. True art restores equanimity. Art must regenerate the sense of well-being. That is its true purpose. When art is really useful, it serves this ultimate process of healing, well-being, higher sympathy, and Spiritual Awakening.

Adi Da Samraj

http://www.daplastique.com

GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,931Gear list
Like?
In reply to theplanetd, Jul 6, 2009

Go lighter and smaller and go for a one lens system. I use the Nikon D90 with the 18-200VR lens (27-300 mm equivalent) It really does it all and does it well. For your situation, I recommend the D5000 instead. Canon has the Rebel series and the new 18-200IS lens, and all the others use some version of the Tamron 18-250 as they have stabilization in the body. The new Pentax K-7 looks really good as it's smaller and ruggedized. Alternatively, go with the Panasonic GH1 with the 14-140 lens (28-280 equivalent) and then get the 20 f/1.7 for it when it's available, as the GH1 doesn't do high ISO nearly as well as the Nikon or Pentax.

After that, you'll want some kind of small pocketable camera like the Canon SD series. I use the SD880IS and it takes excellent pictures.

Since you are currently a DSLR user, you'll probably want to stay with that. The improvement in the cameras since your 10D is enormous.
--
Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
BobTrips
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,848
Like?
Forgot to include...
In reply to BobTrips, Jul 6, 2009

BobTrips wrote:

I'm using a Pentax K2000D with a Tamron 18-250 zoom. And I pack a Pentax 10-17 which I may or may not carry during the day (carry mostly when I'm in urban settings).

I found this to be about as small and light a package as possible while still giving me a very wide lens range, full features, and excellent image quality.

I really, really tried to make the Panasonic G1 work for me. I really wanted live histogram and the ability to frame difficult angle shots on the LCD.

But the price difference between the G1 and K2000D was just too great. Especially when I added in a second battery for the G1.

The K2000D is only slightly larger, about the same weight (with big zoom), offers more DR with a larger sensor. And Pentax lenses are real bargains.

JoeDaBassPlayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,583
Like?
Re: Forgot to include...
In reply to BobTrips, Jul 6, 2009

BobTrips wrote:

BobTrips wrote:

I really, really tried to make the Panasonic G1 work for me. I really wanted live histogram and the ability to frame difficult angle shots on the LCD.

But the price difference between the G1 and K2000D was just too great. Especially when I added in a second battery for the G1.

The K2000D is only slightly larger, about the same weight (with big zoom), offers more DR with a larger sensor. And Pentax lenses are real bargains.

I looked at a G1. It really does not compare to the actual photo quality of the K2000 and size is not all that different either. I shoot primes and so that keeps the size down. Currently, I carry a Zenitar 16 for wide angle, an FA35/2 for a normal, an F50/1.7 for portraits and a DAL50-200 for tele work. All 4 lenses together are a little more than a pound and a half and the whole travel kit fits in a rather small 4 million dollar home. The antishake means I do not need a tripod which can add a lot of weight and expense.
--
Variance is Evil!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads