Deleting unused Canon software programs--please advise

Started Jul 3, 2009 | Discussions
Idoc82
Regular MemberPosts: 275
Like?
Deleting unused Canon software programs--please advise
Jul 3, 2009

Hi,

I have a 30D and a 300D (original Rebel). I'm trying to free up some disc space on my computer. I have a bunch of Canon programs, some of which came on the discs with the cameras, and some of which I think were downloaded when ZoomBrowser and DPP were updated online.

I use ZoomBrowser and DPP all the time, but am not sure if I've ever used these other programs. In fact, I don't even know what most of them are. I would appreciate it if anyone could make a brief comment about what any or all of these programs are for, and whether I can safely uninstall them without interfering with the operation of ZoomBroswer and DPP.

Here are the programs in question:

-- hide signature --

Canon MovieEdit Task for ZoomBrowser EX

--Canon ZoomBrowser EX Memory Card Utility

--Canon Utilities CameraWindow

--Canon Utilities CameraWindow DC

--Canon Utilities CameraWindow DC_DV6 for ZoomBrowser EX

--Canon Utilities MyCamera

--Canon Utilities MyCamera DC

--Canon Camera Access Library

--Canon Camera Support Core Library

Thank you very much, Jim.

RLH1861
Senior MemberPosts: 1,828
Like?
similar question
In reply to Idoc82, Jul 3, 2009

I had the 300D and upgraded to the 20D. the software for those era models was apparently the same except for camera driver itself. But they had the same version of zoombroswer and DPP.

Now I bought the 40D and have to load the software. Does anyone know if I have to uninstall the older stuff first
OR will it automatically overwrite???

Thanks

-- hide signature --

RLH

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MisterPootieCat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,062Gear list
Like?
Does this help?

Idoc82 wrote:

Hi,

I have a 30D and a 300D (original Rebel). I'm trying to free up some disc space on my computer. I have a bunch of Canon programs, some of which came on the discs with the cameras, and some of which I think were downloaded when ZoomBrowser and DPP were updated online.

I use ZoomBrowser and DPP all the time, but am not sure if I've ever used these other programs. In fact, I don't even know what most of them are. I would appreciate it if anyone could make a brief comment about what any or all of these programs are for, and whether I can safely uninstall them without interfering with the operation of ZoomBroswer and DPP.

-- hide signature --

This allows editing video, if you don't have a video capable camera this could probably be safely removed.

-- hide signature --

Canon ZoomBrowser EX Memory Card Utility

This allows ZB to see and download pictures from your memory cards. ZB will not allow direct viewing of pictures while they are on memory cards attached to your system. If you use a card reader this could be removed but you will need to download the images using desktop applications (File Explorer). DPP can directly access memory cards, ZB forces you to download to a folder on your disk drive first. I always thought this was retarded.

-- hide signature --

Canon Utilities CameraWindow

This is used with P&S cameras and serves basically the same function as the EOS Utility. This provides support for remote tethered shooting. If you don't have any Canon P&S cameras this could be removed.

-- hide signature --

Canon Utilities CameraWindow DC

I'm not sure what this is but I'm guessing it's a plug-in for the CameraWindow utility above.

-- hide signature --

Canon Utilities CameraWindow DC_DV6 for ZoomBrowser EX

Another plug-in for CameraWindow?

-- hide signature --

Canon Utilities MyCamera

This allows installing custom sounds and backgrounds on P&S cameras. I'm pretty sure EOS cameras have no use for this. I have a couple PowerShots and use this to modify the shutter sound among other things.

-- hide signature --

Canon Utilities MyCamera DC

This is part of the MyCamera utility and can probably be removed.

-- hide signature --

Canon Camera Access Library

Not sure what this does.

-- hide signature --

Canon Camera Support Core Library

Not sure what this does either.

Keep in mind most of the items you list here are part of the ZB installation and might render ZB unstable if removed. In the worst case scenario you would simply remove all the Canon software and re-install from scratch. I've removed the Canon software several times on various systems with no problems.

And your welcome!

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +19 more
MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,384
Like?
Re: Unused Canon software
In reply to MisterPootieCat, Jul 3, 2009

Are you desperately short of hard drive space?

I have several Canon cameras, compact and SLR, and I've also managed to accumulate a similar list of Canon utility programs (plus a few more). I've never installed any of those files you mention intentionally, they have all been as a result of installing either Zoombrowser or DPP.

My attitude is, if they are not doing any harm, why remove them? Deleting programs at random without fully knowing what they do seems a little risky, even if they don't directly appear to relate with programs that you are using.

By choice, I always use Zoombrowser to download image files from all of my cameras (via a card reader, not direct), and I like to have DPP available for things like lens correction, although it's not my preferred RAW editor. I always keep up to date on Canon software, and Zoombrowser is currently at 6.3.1. and DPP is at 3.6. You can update any version on Canon software from their support web sites, but you need to have an earlier version already installed in order to perform the update. (There is a "fix" to install an update without having the original program resident, but that's another story). Most of those programs don't take up very much disk space, so you must ask yourself if the benefit is worth the risk of deletion.

Your situation may be different, but disk drives are cheap so I don't worry about a few surplus programs on my hard drive, and who knows, you may need to use them at some time in the future.

-- hide signature --

To Err is Human, To really foul things up you need a computer.

MisterPootieCat
Like?
Not me.
In reply to MisterBG, Jul 3, 2009

I'm just providing information about the programs in question. I'm assuming you really wanted to reply to the OP and ended up replying to my post by mistake?

As I said, removing various applications tied to ZB could result in instability or complete malfunction. No worries though, reloading the software from scratch is easy.

MisterBG wrote:
Are you desperately short of hard drive space?

I have several Canon cameras, compact and SLR, and I've also managed to accumulate a similar list of Canon utility programs (plus a few more). I've never installed any of those files you mention intentionally, they have all been as a result of installing either Zoombrowser or DPP.

My attitude is, if they are not doing any harm, why remove them? Deleting programs at random without fully knowing what they do seems a little risky, even if they don't directly appear to relate with programs that you are using.

By choice, I always use Zoombrowser to download image files from all of my cameras (via a card reader, not direct), and I like to have DPP available for things like lens correction, although it's not my preferred RAW editor. I always keep up to date on Canon software, and Zoombrowser is currently at 6.3.1. and DPP is at 3.6. You can update any version on Canon software from their support web sites, but you need to have an earlier version already installed in order to perform the update. (There is a "fix" to install an update without having the original program resident, but that's another story). Most of those programs don't take up very much disk space, so you must ask yourself if the benefit is worth the risk of deletion.

Your situation may be different, but disk drives are cheap so I don't worry about a few surplus programs on my hard drive, and who knows, you may need to use them at some time in the future.

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +19 more
MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,384
Like?
Re: Not me.
In reply to MisterPootieCat, Jul 3, 2009

My reply was directed at the OP. Sorry for any confusion.
--

delete
Regular MemberPosts: 283
Like?
Re: Deleting unused Canon software programs--please advise

Hello,

I have only DPP and EOS utility installed, nothing else, works perfectly fine. But then, I never used ZB.
--
Some of my Photographs: http://photo.net/photos/various%20things

draposo
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?

MrPootiecat gave a nice thorough explanation of all the programs. If you want to delete them, go ahead and don't worry about it. You can get most of them back from the canon website. However, I don't think any of them will free up that much space. DPP and ZB are probably the biggest two apps.

If it is space you are trying to get back you should run a disk cleanup utility and defrag your hard drive. (assuming this needs to be done) ... This will help you get rid of a lot of unwanted temporary files.

Here is a link with an explanation on how to run the cleanup utility of you are running XP.
http://www.theeldergeek.com/disk_cleanup_utility.htm

Here is the usa link to current versions of the canon software. You just need to answer the three questions in the drop-down box.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=DownloadIndexAct

Good luck

Idoc82
Like?
In reply to draposo, Jul 4, 2009

Thank you very much for the helpful replies.

Jim

Wayndom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,928Gear list
Like?
Re: Does this help?
In reply to MisterPootieCat, Jul 5, 2009
-- hide signature --

This is used with P&S cameras and serves basically the same function as the EOS Utility. This provides support for remote tethered shooting. If you don't have any Canon P&S cameras this could be removed.

My own experience indicates this is wrong -- CameraWindow is the program that loads your pictures from your camera to your computer. I messed with mine once, and had to re-install the software before I could download pics into my 'puter. A big pain in the rear...

I have to agree with the poster who asked if you're desperately short of disc space, and add that hard-disc memory is incredibly cheap these days. You can pick up a one terabyte HD for around 100 USD -- that's a TRILLION bytes, for considerably less than the cheapest lens on the market.

-- hide signature --

Wayndom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,928Gear list
Like?
In reply to delete, Jul 5, 2009

delete wrote:

Hello,

I have only DPP and EOS utility installed, nothing else, works perfectly fine. But then, I never used ZB.

As long as we're here (and my question doesn't merit a separate thread), does anyone know why ZB displays at "100%" about half the size as DPP or PS?

What up with that?
--

MisterPootieCat
Like?
Does this help?
In reply to Wayndom, Jul 5, 2009

Here's what the CameraWindow looks like when I connect my PowerShot. Downloading images is one option available, remote shooting is another one.

I think the easiest way to free up space would be to remove ZoomBrowser and all of the plug-ins it uses. Personally, I think DPP is better for editing images anyway.

Wayndom wrote:

-- hide signature --

My own experience indicates this is wrong -- CameraWindow is the program that loads your pictures from your camera to your computer. I messed with mine once, and had to re-install the software before I could download pics into my 'puter. A big pain in the rear...

I have to agree with the poster who asked if you're desperately short of disc space, and add that hard-disc memory is incredibly cheap these days. You can pick up a one terabyte HD for around 100 USD -- that's a TRILLION bytes, for considerably less than the cheapest lens on the market.

-- hide signature --

MisterPootieCat
Like?
In reply to Wayndom, Jul 5, 2009

There are three buttons used for setting image display size. Full Screen, 100%, and Fit to Window. Is it possible you're using Full Screen or Fit to Window instead of 100%?

Wayndom wrote:

delete wrote:

Hello,

As long as we're here (and my question doesn't merit a separate thread), does anyone know why ZB displays at "100%" about half the size as DPP or PS?

What up with that?
--

Colossus
Regular MemberPosts: 327
Like?
In reply to Idoc82, Jul 5, 2009

Idoc82 wrote:

Hi,

-- hide signature --

--Canon ZoomBrowser EX Memory Card Utility

--Canon Utilities CameraWindow

--Canon Utilities CameraWindow DC

--Canon Utilities CameraWindow DC_DV6 for ZoomBrowser EX

--Canon Utilities MyCamera

--Canon Utilities MyCamera DC

--Canon Camera Access Library

--Canon Camera Support Core Library

How many forums do you need to ask this on?

Idoc82
Like?
In reply to Colossus, Jul 6, 2009

Just two--the 30D forum and the 300D forum, since I have both and wasn't sure if the software was the same for both. Again, with the exception of the post above, I do appreciate the advice.

Jim.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads