New Pocket Wizards & 5DII

Started May 31, 2009 | Discussions
XeroJay
Contributing MemberPosts: 971Gear list
Like?
New Pocket Wizards & 5DII
May 31, 2009

Okay, here's a weird one...

I've received the new PW's, and have been trying to set them up with the 5DII. Out of the box, they seemed to work pretty well, but needed some tweaking. So I plugged them in, ran the software, updated the firmwares, and set the model as 5DII (as opposed to auto).

Nothing.

The units wouldn't fire. I plugged them back in, and applied some of the recommended settings that others have found work with the same combo as mine...

Nothing.

After playing around, I've discovered that I have the inverse problem of, apparently, every other PW/5DII owner; My units ONLY work with my 5DII if the model is set to AUTO. Every other forum I've read has people claiming that their units will only work (with the 5DII) if the model is set to "5D mkII", and not Auto.

Anyone else experiencing this?

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,611Gear list
Like?
Yes me too
In reply to XeroJay, May 31, 2009

I got mine Friday----two flex TT5s. Tried them outdoors today with the 5DMKII. It did not work. When I got home I tried it with my 1DMKIII and it works----ETTL II and HSS. I will try and use it in an actual shoot tomorrow but will leave the 5DMKII home.

José

XeroJay wrote:

Okay, here's a weird one...

I've received the new PW's, and have been trying to set them up with
the 5DII. Out of the box, they seemed to work pretty well, but needed
some tweaking. So I plugged them in, ran the software, updated the
firmwares, and set the model as 5DII (as opposed to auto).

Nothing.

The units wouldn't fire. I plugged them back in, and applied some of
the recommended settings that others have found work with the same
combo as mine...

Nothing.

After playing around, I've discovered that I have the inverse problem
of, apparently, every other PW/5DII owner; My units ONLY work with my
5DII if the model is set to AUTO. Every other forum I've read has
people claiming that their units will only work (with the 5DII) if
the model is set to "5D mkII", and not Auto.

Anyone else experiencing this?
--

-- hide signature --
 José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
XeroJay
Like?
Re: Yes me too
In reply to José B, May 31, 2009

Are your PW's set to "Auto" or "5D MKII" for model?

As I mentioned, mine won't with the 5DII if the model is set to 5DII... but they work if they're set to "Auto"

José B wrote:

I got mine Friday----two flex TT5s. Tried them outdoors today with
the 5DMKII. It did not work. When I got home I tried it with my
1DMKIII and it works----ETTL II and HSS. I will try and use it in an
actual shoot tomorrow but will leave the 5DMKII home.

José

Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
SageTCR
Regular MemberPosts: 421
Like?
Re: New Pocket Wizards & 5DII

Make sure you have selected 5D mark II as camera in settings for both the TT1 and Flex. If that dosnt work reset the units. And if that still wont work reinstall the firmwares for both units.
I have the TT1 and Flex5 for my 5Dmk2 and its working waaaaay over expectations.

XeroJay
Like?
In reply to SageTCR, May 31, 2009

Done, and still nothing.

They won't fire with the 5DII if they're set to 5DII. I have to use AUTO. The problem with this is that I don't get the benefits of the firmware update that apply to the 5DII this way.

SageTCR wrote:

Make sure you have selected 5D mark II as camera in settings for both
the TT1 and Flex. If that dosnt work reset the units. And if that
still wont work reinstall the firmwares for both units.
I have the TT1 and Flex5 for my 5Dmk2 and its working waaaaay over
expectations.

José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,611Gear list
Like?
Thanks Jay, finally got it to work sans Speedlight on top of TT5...

acting as a transmitter. It keeps on boucing back to 1/200 sec. However, if I take out the 580EXII on top of the TT5 (as transmitter) it triggers the other 580EXII on top of the other TT5 with ETTLII/HSS.

BTW, both Auto and 5DMKII works as per above.

José

XeroJay wrote:
Are your PW's set to "Auto" or "5D MKII" for model?
As I mentioned, mine won't with the 5DII if the model is set to
5DII... but they work if they're set to "Auto"

José B wrote:

I got mine Friday----two flex TT5s. Tried them outdoors today with
the 5DMKII. It did not work. When I got home I tried it with my
1DMKIII and it works----ETTL II and HSS. I will try and use it in an
actual shoot tomorrow but will leave the 5DMKII home.

José

-- hide signature --
 José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Richard
Regular MemberPosts: 448
Like?
I set mine to auto
In reply to XeroJay, Jun 1, 2009

on the tt1 and the flex5. It worked great for a little while then the flex5 just stopped firing.

Also, I get blownout shots WAY too often....these things seem way to finicky to rely on for a wedding.

FWIW, 580exII and TT1 on a 5DII, 550ex on remote flex5

concept I love....reliability is not good though.
--
-- richard

XeroJay
Like?
Wow, we're all getting mixed results
In reply to Richard, Jun 1, 2009

I'm kind of shocked at the different problems we're all having. The strangest thing is that the equipment is pretty much the same, yet the PW's are acting very different for many of us...

Mine seem pretty consistent and reliable, but refuse to work at all when set to 5DII. Everyone else is reporting too many inconsistencies with exposure, or unreliable triggering, or mixed result with regards to range, even with the same speedlites...

Does anyone else here feel like they just paid to be a beta tester for these things?

Richard wrote:

on the tt1 and the flex5. It worked great for a little while then the
flex5 just stopped firing.

Also, I get blownout shots WAY too often....these things seem way to
finicky to rely on for a wedding.

FWIW, 580exII and TT1 on a 5DII, 550ex on remote flex5

concept I love....reliability is not good though.
--
-- richard

XeroJay
Like?
Update: I Think I've Got it
In reply to XeroJay, Jun 1, 2009

Okay, so I can't get the PW's to work in the "5DII" specific mode, but skipping that setting, I've FINALLY managed decent reliable results. In fact, I'm getting GREAT results now in both rang, and reliability:)
Check it out: (yes, I know the 1st shot is OOF)

I setup the 580ex (original) directly on the FlexTT5, and the Mini TT1 on my 5DII:

Stepping back a few feet:

...And a few more:

across the street:

I probably could have gone even further, but it started to rain, and I was begining to trespass:) I'll try again & update once the rain passes.

XeroJay
Like?
2nd Update: NOPE.
In reply to XeroJay, Jun 8, 2009

After spending now two weeks with the new PW's, I have come to this conclusion: These things are NOT reliable.

Problem 1: They don't work when first turning them on. Yesterday, I triple checked the settings on both units with the supplied software to make sure the channels were all the same. I connected everything, and...nothing. All with no change, and only 3 feet away from each other. Being persistent, I decided to keep trying with the same settings. 98 shots later, they began to fire!!!! NINTY-EIGHT! They then worked for about an hour.

Problem 2: They stop working at random, even in basic trigger mode. This is the most frustrating. They can't even function as old reliable Pocket Wizards. Last night I was triggering my strobe at the reception, problem-free for about 3 hours...then, all of the sudden, nothing. Actually, they would fire, but rarely. There was nothing I could do from there. They just stopped being reliable. Boo.

Problem 3: They have terrible range. even with a standard strobe. Period.

If anyone has any experience, please share.

Shangrila
Forum MemberPosts: 92
Like?
Re: 2nd Update: NOPE.

unfortunately I have to agree with all your findings. i made the same experience, even with the 550ex which should have this range-issue .... I only get about 30ft max.

also the whole thing very unreliable without any consistency. i tried the same shots with a friends cheap chinese triggers - they worked better than my expensive pw.

of course it was my fault, that I trusted pw would come up with a solution and was too late to return them. but now I am having those units that I can't use for any commercial shooting - they are just unreliable and don't work.

I am a little desperite, but I don't think that this can be the business model of pw to have only frustrated customers. their up to now very good reputation has gone down the drain within a short time.

so they must something do about it I guess, some people even suggested to call back all units.

f64manray
Contributing MemberPosts: 728
Like?
In reply to Shangrila, Jun 8, 2009

My old Pocket Wizard Plus works just fine with the 5DII.

UncleMikey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,023
Like?

My experience with the new PWs is exactly as yours - erratic performance with no clear reason as to why they would work and then suddenly stop working. I just purchased radio poppers and I will be selling the PWs. I had the opportunity to try RPs a few days ago and then used them at a wedding yesterday. Not a single misfire.

XeroJay
Like?
3rd Update: WHAT!?
In reply to Shangrila, Jun 8, 2009

On top of the unreliable performance, I've also noticed that my units seem to have physical defects. The test/learn button on my miniTT1 sticks like crazy, staying depressed most of the time. On the FlexTT5, I've noticed a slight rattling inside, like a loose piece...

...I've lived with these things until today. With an "I can't make it any worse" frame of mind, I took a screwdriver to them.

The stuck button on the mini was stuck at the circuit board level; in other words, the actual button underneath the plastic casing was sticking. I WD40'd it, and no more stick:)

The rattling on the Flex5 was pathetic. Believe it or not, there was a loose screw floating around inside the unit, right from the factory! I matched it with the only hole missing a screw, and put it all back together. No more rattling:)

What kind of crappy quality control is this?

I tested the units, and they work...so far. I don't know for how long, but it'll be a LONG TIME before I will trust them, and that's the best case scenario.

XeroJay
Like?
4th Update

PATHETIC.

I'm trying to dumb these things down to plain old Basic triggers. I've killed all settings, except just standard channel 1, basic trigger mode on both units, all config's.

The only thing they have to do is act as a basic old manual trigger on channel 1. There's no other channels active on either unit/config...

AND THEY CAN'T EVEN DO THAT!!!

How on earth could PW release these?!

millerrh
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
In reply to UncleMikey, Jun 9, 2009

Wow, so you guys aren't even getting these to work in manual trigger mode like the old Plus II's? I figured all the issues people were having were in ETTL mode.

I really want to get some Pocket Wizards and was hoping to get this new system, even if I could only use it like you could use the Plus II's cause I like the form factor better. But if they don't even work like that, I'm thinking Plus II's are the way to go maybe....

XeroJay
Like?
In reply to millerrh, Jun 9, 2009

Stick with the Plus II's.
At least with them you turn them on, set the channel, and shoot.

With the new ones you have to say a little prayer before switching them on. Sometimes they'll talk to each other, some times they won't. Sometimes they'll talk to each other with the test button, but won't trigger with the camera. Sometimes they indicator LED says they're working, but they don't trigger the flash...

...And every once in a while...they will work on the first try; just to taunt you.

millerrh wrote:

Wow, so you guys aren't even getting these to work in manual trigger
mode like the old Plus II's? I figured all the issues people were
having were in ETTL mode.

I really want to get some Pocket Wizards and was hoping to get this
new system, even if I could only use it like you could use the Plus
II's cause I like the form factor better. But if they don't even
work like that, I'm thinking Plus II's are the way to go maybe....
--

weddingphoto
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
In reply to XeroJay, Jun 9, 2009

Try this...update all units...then reset all units to default. When using you must follow the following step in order.
Step #1. all flash/camera on off
Step #2. Turn all pocket wizard on to the same channel
Step #3. Turn all flash units on along with the camera.
do not touch the test or learning key.
Must have new batteries in the flash units.
This works for me..
Your comments are greatly appreciated.

surftom
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
In reply to weddingphoto, Jun 9, 2009

I think I'll be looking at radipoppers

XeroJay
Like?
In reply to weddingphoto, Jun 9, 2009

This is the order that I follow. That's pretty much what the instructions say too. The problem is that it doesn't always work for me. I've discovered a couple of things that help though:
-I can't have the two units too close to each other when I turn them on.

-If the aperture indication on the screen of the flash doesn't show/change, then it's not communicating.

-I, for some reason, can't use the 5DII setting on the PW's with my PW. I may be the only one with this issue! Oh well.

weddingphoto wrote:

Try this...update all units...then reset all units to default. When
using you must follow the following step in order.
Step #1. all flash/camera on off
Step #2. Turn all pocket wizard on to the same channel
Step #3. Turn all flash units on along with the camera.
do not touch the test or learning key.
Must have new batteries in the flash units.
This works for me..
Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads