Like?
D300s Specs is here
May 30, 2009
Pat Joh
Contributing MemberPosts: 903
Like?
Re: D300s Specs is here
In reply to DanHua, May 30, 2009

So what its just a d300 with video and dual card slits. Nothing to get excited about.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
scouter075
Contributing MemberPosts: 932
Like?
In reply to Pat Joh, May 30, 2009

The dual slots are interesting, don't have a need for the video.
--
Dennis Esler
http://www.eslerphoto.com
'Painting with light since '68...just using new brushes now.'

thomas2279
Forum ProPosts: 10,876
Like?
In reply to Pat Joh, May 30, 2009

Looks like a normal 's' small upgrade that Nikon offered before in the d70s; increase of Lcd to 2.0, fix for famous green memory card access lamp blinks continuously fault..

What I like with the rumours are the Quiet Mode, dual slots (maybe will be d700 type of slide door) and we may get subtle improvements like retouche options from d90 and slight improvement to noise suppression; hopefully improvement to the flat battery lens syndrome, etc.

Video is useful but would like 1080p...
--

My Pictures & Web Site: http://www.dltp.co.uk

Thom Hogan
Forum ProPosts: 13,659
Like?
In reply to thomas2279, May 30, 2009

thomas2279 wrote:

What I like with the rumours are the Quiet Mode,

Just a comment. If "quite mode" means what Nikon did on the D5000, it really isn't useful. Basically, this allows you to hold the shutter release down and you don't get the mirror slapping back down. But you also can't take another picture until you release the release, so you're going to get that sound, just delayed. I'm not even sure it would be useful for golf events (the initial mirror up makes plenty of sound).

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan
author, Complete Guides to Nikon bodies (19 and counting)
http://www.bythom.com

Vic Chapman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,987Gear list
Like?
Hey Thom.....
In reply to Thom Hogan, May 30, 2009

The answer to mirror noise at golf matches is to stand behind a Canon photographer.

Vic Chapman's gear list:Vic Chapman's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
Ixon
Regular MemberPosts: 489Gear list
Like?
Re: D300s makes sense
In reply to Vic Chapman, May 30, 2009

I think the reason for the D300s is that Sony has to release the follow up to the A700 before Nikon can use the Sensor for the D400, so it could mean that the D400 won't see the light of day till sometime first/second quater next year.

So bring out an slight update in the D300s, to keep up with the the market with other DSLR's that offer Video, until the D400 ready to launch.

Genix
Senior MemberPosts: 1,444
Like?
Re: Hey Thom.....
In reply to Vic Chapman, May 30, 2009

LOL...

Vic Chapman wrote:

The answer to mirror noise at golf matches is to stand behind a Canon
photographer.
--

Genix
Senior MemberPosts: 1,444
Like?

Really the only thing I see that is of interest is the dual card slot.
For those using the body in a professional capacity, this is almost
a must have.

DanHua wrote:

Here is link for D300s specs:
http://nikonrumors.com/2009/05/28/nikon-d300s-specs.aspx
Have fun.
Dan
http://dhstudios.zenfolio.com/

SNRatio
Regular MemberPosts: 339
Like?
May well be the real thing...

Nikon chooses to wait with more substantial upgrades, realizing more of the potential in D300 instead. But they should have done more, the downres thing for high ISO in particular. Or, maybe, that's one of the things they have put in.. Not clear from the specs..

If high ISO is significantly improved, and processing is snappier, this s not only a cosmetical improvement.

I think this may be a very good move, if they fix most of the jelly-effects in video, that is..

photonut2008
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,522
Like?
Rumors are a waste of time

The "D300s" is not there, and the specifications for it are not either. What is there is a rumor intended to fuel idle speculation.
--
Anthony Beach

lee lindquist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,751
Like?

DanHua wrote:

That's a strong statement, for something posted on a rumor site.

I notice on the same site, "D400 specs", posted 12/10/2008
Six months later, nada.

I never thought I'd say this, but these rumor posts make the
ken rockwell lovefest posts look like genius.

Thom Hogan
Like?
In reply to Ixon, May 30, 2009

Ixon wrote:

I think the reason for the D300s is that Sony has to release the
follow up to the A700 before Nikon can use the Sensor for the D400,

Somehow I doubt that. We've been through that discussion here many times before. Basically, if Sony Imaging has managed to force Sony Semiconductor in who they can and can't do business with and when, Sony is toast as a company.

The more likely thing is that Sony doesn't have a followup sensor ready yet. Indeed, I can find none of the precursors that usually are visible before a new sensor generation starts to appear in cameras. That would imply that we're easily six months and probably much more away from any next generation sensor. (This also implies that I don't think we'll see prosumer cameras with the current Sony 14mp sensor.)

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan

RonHrl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,794
Like?
So, which part of NikonRUMORS don't you understand?(nt)
-- hide signature --

Ron
CP5700, D70, D300
http://www.pbase.com/ronhrl

Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts. --Bernard Baruch

Thom Hogan
Like?
In reply to lee lindquist, May 30, 2009

lee lindquist wrote:

DanHua wrote:

That's a strong statement, for something posted on a rumor site.
I notice on the same site, "D400 specs", posted 12/10/2008
Six months later, nada.

Well, there's an entirely different discussion about what some rumor sites consider worth publishing as a rumor or not. However, having dealt with anonymous emails and information sent to me about Nikon (and other) equipment for decades, you start to recognize which things have some grounding in reality and which are idle speculation. Let me just say that I'm pretty sure that a D300 followup is being tested in the field right now (and I think being built in Thailand already). From what I've heard to date, that followup is not what most people would think of as a D400, but something with fewer changes than everyone seems to expect.

Eventually, at least one rumor proves to be true ; ). The question is whether you have the detection ability to properly assess which ones are rooted in something real and which ones are complete fantasy. The Mac rumor sites, for instance, have started to get this nailed down. That's because the leaks tend to come out of the same places in similar ways each time, so you can start to weight likelihood just on source.

For a long time there was someone consistently sending me via email something (yes, I'm being vague for a reason) that had some telltale signs in it that gave me more confidence in the accuracy of the information in the email.

Finally, there's some thought that Nikon themselves may be leaking information intentionally. Originally, I discounted that. I'm almost convinced that it's true at this point. Why would they do that? Well, the D3x introduction was a good example. I knew what the price was going to be well before the announcement, which is one reason why I started writing about price expectations for a high-rez FX body. I was pretty sure that the price would not be well received. Within minutes after the announcement, my in box had enough rants in it to prove that I was right. So why would Nikon leak that info? Perhaps because they were trying to assess how much to play up the camera. You'll note that Nikon's launch and immediate marketing for the D3x was extremely restrained.

It's entirely possible that if the next D300 is a D300s with video and an extra card slot as the primary changes, Nikon wants to test reaction to that, too, before actually doing the launch. Leaking is not the way I'd test, but it's a way that's been done by many companies in the past.

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan

Svein Eriksen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,642
Like?

Maybe a bit off topic, but what do you think about the A-700 successor. I can't really see it without Live View function and probably not without a video mode. Sony's current Live View (A-3xx) mode doesn't seem particulary suited for video mode as you need video stream from the main sensor to compete with the other videoenabled dslrs. So, any opinion on the next A-700. Will they scrap the A-3xx system or go for a Olympus E-330 like system with two Live View modes?

Crabby Guy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,418
Like?

Two highly speculative questions on this general subject:

(1) I wonder if Nikon would continue to sell D300's at a lower price as well as a D300s-type of camera at a higher price. (Yes, I know the rumors that the D300 is out of production.) In any case, dropping the street price of D300's will only save me money buying a spare body.

(2) Will the next D400 (or whatever it's called) simply have a tradeoff of resolution vs. noise or will its sensor show improvement over today's technology, i.e., more resolution with the same noise, less noise with the same resolution, or more resolution and less noise? Is this what Nikon is waiting for?

-- hide signature --

Adrian

lee lindquist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,751
Like?

Thom Hogan wrote:

Well, there's an entirely different discussion about what some rumor
sites consider worth publishing as a rumor or not. However, having

What I have observed here...

Someone will post a comment like -- my brother-in-law's uncle's doorman
held the door for the ups driver who told him he had just heard about
the upcoming Nikon D8000.

This comment will get picked up and posted on a rumor site.

Then, one of the deep thinkers here will post a link to it,
and say "here are the specs of the new D8000"

...all based on nothing.

Shortly after that, someone will ask "How much would you pay for the new D8000?"

And, then there will be a humorous post about the first reports of banding
in the D8000.

After a while, even chicken little is disgusted.

Thom Hogan
Like?
In reply to Svein Eriksen, May 30, 2009

Svein Eriksen wrote:

Maybe a bit off topic, but what do you think about the A-700
successor. I can't really see it without Live View function and
probably not without a video mode. Sony's current Live View (A-3xx)
mode doesn't seem particulary suited for video mode as you need video
stream from the main sensor to compete with the other videoenabled
dslrs. So, any opinion on the next A-700.

Well, they may have designed themselves into an interesting corner ; ). I imagine the internal politics at Sony these days is beyond intense. Sony Semiconductor's best customer for large sensors is Nikon, so Sony Imaging is. The Sony DSLR folk now need HD video in their cameras, so Sony's camcorder folk are going to get upset. Of course, the Japanese don't get "upset," they have more subtle ways of dealing with internal politics ; ).

The interesting thing is that ALL of the Japanese consumer electronic companies are nearing some real soul searching about who they are, what they do, and why. It feels a bit like Detroit to me all over again, where you get into this mentality that you can keep pushing metal by just reshaping it a bit. I don't think it's a coincidence that camera companies now want us to upgrade our cameras about as often as our cars. What happens if we're happy with what we've got? After all, except for the pros, most people aren't putting the wear and tear on their cameras the same way they do cars.

But, as to the A700. Someone at Sony seemed to have an epiphany, and I hope that it holds. Sony has to build upwards. That means compacts beget consumer DSLRs which in turn beget prosumer DSLRs, which in turn beget pro DSLRs. It isn't as important for Sony to iterate their two higher end cameras (A700 and A900) very fast. It IS important for them to get consumer models that pull up compact camera users and compete well against Nikon/Canon/Panasonic/et.al. Thus, all the activity at the low DSLR end that Sony has done seems correct, to me. If an A700 takes another six months or ten months, that's not as important. On the other hand, they have to give the more serious folk a treat once in a while. About once a year seems right to me.

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan

Thom Hogan
Like?
In reply to lee lindquist, May 30, 2009

lee lindquist wrote:

Thom Hogan wrote:

Well, there's an entirely different discussion about what some rumor
sites consider worth publishing as a rumor or not. However, having

What I have observed here...

Someone will post a comment like -- my brother-in-law's uncle's doorman
held the door for the ups driver who told him he had just heard about
the upcoming Nikon D8000.

This comment will get picked up and posted on a rumor site.

Then, one of the deep thinkers here will post a link to it,
and say "here are the specs of the new D8000"

...all based on nothing.

Yes, that's true. And those rumor sites that do that in order just to have a story will eventually hurt themselves if they continue to do that, as it's the Boy Who Cried Wolf problem in a different form.

However, what I'm trying to tell people is that those rumor sites, like me, DO get real information from time to time via anonymous sources. The value of a rumor site to me would be that they have the skill and patience to vet such information enough that they have some confidence in it.

If you go back through those rumor sites and look at whether or not they did have an accurate rumor or not, you'll find that they did. The problem is that it was one of twenty things they published and there was no way to tell what might be a more legitimate piece from the fantasy stuff.

If you look at MacRumors, for instance, and track their record against reality, I'd bet you that half of what they publish turns out to have some basis in fact (i.e., it might not be perfectly accurate, but the gist was correct). That's a good rumor site, because it acts as a filter on all the stuff that floats around the Internet looking for its 15 nanoseconds of fame.

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads