Lumix FX150 black spot on images? Aperture problem?

Started May 29, 2009 | Discussions
pkjr703
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Lumix FX150 black spot on images? Aperture problem?
May 29, 2009

Hi,

I am getting a small faint black dot on images and on the LCD. I dont think it is dust, and its not on the lens, I believe it is coming from a small hole in the aperture. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thank you.

Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 13,309
Like?
Re: Lumix FX150 black spot on images? Aperture problem?
In reply to pkjr703, May 29, 2009

pkjr703 wrote:

Hi,

I am getting a small faint black dot on images and on the LCD. I dont
think it is dust, and its not on the lens, I believe it is coming
from a small hole in the aperture. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thank you.

Sounds a whole lot more like something on the sensor, or if it's out of focus, on an internal lens surface.

A 'hole in the aperture" if I understand what you are saying - would produce a faint double image if anything & is very unlikely.

Could you post an example?

-Erik
--
DP Review Supporter.

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
http://www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pkjr703
Like?
In reply to Erik Ohlson, May 30, 2009

Yea I dont think I was explaining it well at all. I spent some time trying to find out more about this with no luck, and spoke to customer service at Panasonic and I might have to send it back which I really do not want to do.

I have had this less than a year, and have babied it the whole time.

It doesnt seem to be dust because it is transparent, hence why I only started to notice it now. Depending on how much I zoom or my focus range the spots gets larger/smaller/darker/lighter.

I shined a light in front of the camera and recorded it and I do see a small double exp. and the light seems to shoot through which made me think it was a aperture problem.

I love the this camera, probably more than my last sony which I dropped a few times, took to the beach, and even got a little wet which still never had any problem like this.

Hope you can help. Here is a link to my sample shots of the spot and the video.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boombap/

Erik Ohlson
Like?
In reply to pkjr703, May 30, 2009

Yep, looks like dust in there somewhere.

There have been numerous posts by folks who have opened their cameras and solved problems like this, but it's probably safer to let Panasonic do it.

If I may: I know I make myself a real "bore" on this, but I suggest that from now on, you carry the camera in a plain, simple plastic bag. It will keep this from happening.

My Minolta Xi was ruined by dust - I took it apart and the dust was inside the sealed lens unit.

Since then I always use a plastic bag [I get a whole box of "Sandwich Bags" at the grocery store for about a buck] and I've never had another problem like this + the camera looks prand new, body & LCD.

So easy, so cheap. Keeps sweat & such out, too.

-Erik
--
DP Review Supporter.

nnye
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?

I had exactly the same problem on my FZ30. I assumed it was dust on the sensor, however unlikely that would be with a camera that was all sealed up and had never been opened. My solution was to replace it with an FZ50 because the cost of sending it to Panasonic was more than the camera was worth. You can view it as a tragedy, or as an excuse to buy something better.

pkjr703
Like?
In reply to nnye, May 30, 2009

Thanks,

If its dust I have no idea how dust got inside a compact non slr camera. Although it might be dust it was dust from when they made it. I took a look at the first images I took and its there. It might be an excuse to buy a new one, but from only having it one year I dont want to make the jump so soon. I guess Ill have to send it back to hope for the best.

Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,800Gear list
Like?
Dust

It's dust on the sensor, or really it's on the anti-alias and IR filter that always sits in front of the sensor.

With smaller apertures it appears more distinctly.

My wife had a Pentax camera that developed a few dust spots during a trip to (dusty) outback Australia, despite extreme care to avoid dust.

We managed to get it to Pentax service on the very last day of the 12 month warranty and they fixed it no problems and no charge.

With normal use dust should not get into the sensor, so it could have been factory dust that finally fell into a bad place.

Regards......... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Erik Ohlson
Like?

pkjr703 wrote:

Thanks,

If its dust I have no idea how dust got inside a compact non slr
camera. Although it might be dust it was dust from when they made it.
I took a look at the first images I took and its there. It might be
an excuse to buy a new one, but from only having it one year I dont
want to make the jump so soon. I guess Ill have to send it back to
hope for the best.

Dust can easily get inside non-waterproof cameras.

The lens, going in & out acts as a pump.

In my Minolta Xi, mentioned above, there was no such pumping action, but when I took the covers off the camera, a remarkable amount of dust was packed in the nooks & crannies. And some particles had worked their way into the lens unit - even though the front lens element was cemented in place.

If it was on the first image on a new camera - yep, manufacturing slipped up, but dust WILL get in. Think of stories of desert sandstorms: the dust is very pervasive.

A plastic bag works wonders - by actual test.

-Erik
--
DP Review Supporter.

pkjr703
Like?
In reply to Erik Ohlson, May 31, 2009

thanks.

when i get it back i will be investing in some zip locks... any idea how long a repair will take. guessing like most things 4-8 weeks, which means i might have to buy a new camera or wait it out and use my cell phone or lug around a 40d...

spicerpro
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to pkjr703, Jun 1, 2009

Although the procedure below is specific for the Lumix DMC-FX37, it may be similar for other Lumix models. All you need is a small jewelers Philips screwdriver and a can of compressed air.

Procedure: Remove the five exteriors screws and remove the side panels. Then gently pull off the back cover, being careful not to yank on the ribbon cable. Remove the four screws that holds the aluminum cover plate and put aside. Underneath is the image sensor, remove the three screws. Lift the sensor up gently so not to harm the ribbon cable. Use a can of compressed air or other low-pressure source to blow dust off the surface of the sensor. Do use your mouth or moister can adhere to the sensor. Reassemble the camera and you are done. The image will be as clean as the day you bought the camera.

By the way, I now prevent dust from entering the camera by keeping it in a Ziploc or sandwich bag. This is a low-tech solution, but the results are amazing. Good luck!
--

pkjr703
Like?
In reply to spicerpro, Jun 2, 2009

Thanks... looks dangerous.

but i think i might try.

hopefully ill be following with a greater thanks and not a aw f*k.

pkjr703
Like?
In reply to spicerpro, Jun 2, 2009

i thought i had a major problem when the images were recording, but somehow i fixed it. i got some of the dust spots off, but some remain. where should i try focus the air? Under the metal plate or the area around the lens? So far so good. I ended up putting more dust in it while trying to clean it the other day, but those are gone. I would like a fresh start again.

spicerpro
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to pkjr703, Jun 2, 2009

I realize your camera model is different than mine, but the principle of construction is similar. It is good idea to blast dust away from inside the camera everywhere you can with your air source. Then remove the aluminum cover plate. The screws that hold the image sensor are underneath the plate. Gently flip the image sensor frame up just enough to expose the actual sensor screen area (the surface is rectangular and about the size of your little finger nail). A good blast of air across the surface should clear the dust. Then reassemble quickly enough to prevent more dust from re-entering the sensor.

Remember, even if you accidentally destroy the camera, your alternative is to pay for repair and waste two months, or buy a new camera. Tackling the cleaning yourself is probably worth the risk.

pkjr703
Like?
In reply to spicerpro, Jun 3, 2009

any other tips... i tried a few times, but there are still two spots which i can not seem to get off.

oblina53
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to spicerpro, Apr 17, 2011

Just tried this last night on my Lumix DMC-FS25 and it worked great!! It was a bit more labor intensive but several screws later the camera was back together and working perfectly. The bonus- No Spots on the pics!! Thank you for taking the time to post this option.

oblina53
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Spicepro's Instructions get rid of particles that show up on pics!!
In reply to oblina53, Apr 17, 2011

oblina53 wrote:

Just tried this last night on my Lumix DMC-FS25 and it worked great!! It was a bit more labor intensive but several screws later the camera was back together and working perfectly. The bonus- No Spots on the pics!! Thank you for taking the time to post this option.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads