Does Best Buy know something we don't?

Started May 1, 2009 | Discussions
Jane Anderson
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?
Does Best Buy know something we don't?
May 1, 2009

I got all revved up with the el cheapo price on the d200 but the local (60 miles) Best Buy didn't have any in stock just online when I called. So I asked about the D300. They said yes they had it in store, then they said they can match the online price due to the d300 being discontinued. I had to ask again to make sure I heard right - the Nikon d300 is discontinued? Yes, by the manufacturer. I haven't heard anything about that so am asking here. If it comes from Best buy then I would want to verify with someone else.

I asked if my lens from the d50 would fit the d200. Yes, it should they seem to have the same groove. I asked if he was sure. Yep it should. Then I asked if the d200 is a full frame camera. Yes, it should have that option to take a full frame. Well I better try to explain to him exactly what a full frame camera is - that on a d50 a 50mm lens would be multiplied by 1.5 but on a full frame it would be 50mm. The light bulb must have finally went on for this guy but his wattage must be dim as he still said well it should have the option to take a full frame.

Maybe I should have titled this thread My Adventures in Best Buyland
Jane

Matthew Ernest
Contributing MemberPosts: 544
Like?
Best Buy does not know jack
In reply to Jane Anderson, May 1, 2009

1. the d300 is not even 2 year old yet and Nikon has a 2 year cycle.
2 Best buy doesn't no jack about any thing
3 Once the d300 get hard to find you know something new is coming.
the early will be in Aug of 09

All of this is my opinion
--
http://www.matthewernest.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
larryh655
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Re: Best Buy does not know jack
In reply to Matthew Ernest, May 1, 2009

The D200 will support any Nikon lens you're using with the D50, plus a ton of lens the D50 won't support. Read the dpreview (among many reviews out there) of the D200. If you're looking to buy, I wouldn't wait long. Who knows how long the BB sale will last?

JTatyosian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,635
Like?
Re: If you haven't figured it out yet...

Best Buy employees are not hired based on experience. I'd rather pay $1000 for a D200 than buy it on a ridiculous, garbage sale from Best Buy. I can't believe they are still in business over Circuit City... shows you how much society knows about Best Buy. I've had nothing but awful experiences when I've shopped there, and the last time that happened was about eight years ago.

-- hide signature --

John Tatyosian
Check out my site: http://sites.google.com/site/JTatyosian

larryh655
Like?
In reply to JTatyosian, May 1, 2009

I purchased a BB D200 two months ago. It's authentic, complete with USA warranty and working great. I wouldn't pay $1000.00 for a D200 when it's still on sale at BB for $599.00 The product is fine. Just don't rely on a local BB salesman to convince you, or be turned off because of local incompetence.

Jane Anderson
Like?
In reply to larryh655, May 1, 2009

I would never trust Best Buy to buy online. My first digicam was purchased from BB and I got it home and my brand new cam came with the smart media card already in, and filled with pictures of a family. It was obviously a return. A friend of mine got a hard drive at BB, got it home and opened it. Empty box. I would only buy at BB if I could do the hot pixel tests right there in the store with my brand new unit. And if I could find another store, I would definitely choose that one over BB.
Jane

roblarosa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,119Gear list
Like?
In reply to larryh655, May 1, 2009

larryh655 wrote:

I purchased a BB D200 two months ago. It's authentic, complete with
USA warranty and working great. I wouldn't pay $1000.00 for a D200
when it's still on sale at BB for $599.00 The product is fine. Just
don't rely on a local BB salesman to convince you, or be turned off
because of local incompetence.
--

Exactly. BB is fine a store, but their floor employees are almost useless when it comes to knowing technical specifications of any product. Do your homework and know what you want before you get there.

bwigg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,166
Like?

I wouldn't hesitate to order from BB online. I ordered a D200 Sunday night and it arrived Thursday afternoon in perfect condition. Brand new with 0 actuation's. Now I would be wary of Ebay dealers. Most are a shady lot. I would only deal with known dealers and only after checking resellers ratings.

My D300 has hot pixels as well as my Canon 40D. It doesn't bother me as you have to view it at 100% and look for them. I haven't bothered to check my D200 yet. I may just for giggles and grins to see if it does.

larryh655
Like?

Jane,

Based on your experience, I can't say I blame you for not wanting to do business with Best Buy online. However, my experience purchasing the D200 from BB (and countless other comments regarding the D200 blowout in this forum) have been positive. Too bad the closest BB store can't accomodate your needs.

fastglass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,780
Like?

Jane Anderson wrote:

I would never trust Best Buy to buy online. My first digicam was purchased from BB and I got it home and my brand new cam came with the smart media card already in, and filled with pictures of a family. It was obviously a return. A friend of mine got a hard drive at BB, got it home and opened it. Empty box. I would only buy at BB if I could do the hot pixel tests right there in the store with my brand new unit. And if I could find another store, I would definitely choose that one over BB. Jane

Can't say I blame you.

Any store like BB that would empower employees to JUDGE customers by classifying some as "devil customers" has the wrong ATTITUDE about "customer service" ... for starters. Devil customers, or devil store?

The problem began with NY's "lower price is best for ME" mentality & "grow or perish" pressures (big buyer = lower cost = more business = bigger buyer), making it very difficult for small & independent operators to compete.

The philosophies of greed & selfishness have so permeated our world today it's difficult anymore to find a decent establishment worthy of ones business.

Best.
--
Vaya con Dios
imo
(c) fastglass

w4rmk
Contributing MemberPosts: 571
Like?
Re: Does Best Buy know something we don't?

None of the stores likely have any D200's left, I suspect that Nikon USA cleaned out a warehouse with a truckload of unsold D200's and chose Best Buy as the conduit to unload them at a firesale price. They trust Best Buy because who is left that Nikon can rely upon to pay thier invoice? Circuit City screwed them out of millions, Ritz Camera is in backruptcy, and Best Buy is in pretty good shape. Obviously they wanted to choose a dealer that could pay a large invoice with hundreds D200's on it. For all of Best Buy's faults they are relatively strong and stable in the marketplace unlike their failed competition.

The employees at the local stores are mostly teenagers hired at a low wage and I wouldn't rely on them for any camera advice. As an example I was in a store the other day and overheard a salesman tell a lady that she should but a camera that has the most megapixels she can afford. And we wonder why the megapixel race continues.

I bought a D200 about a month ago from bb online and the transaction was flawless, next day air was cheap, and the camera was brand new in the box. This is one of those occasions where sometimes a tough economic sitation benefits the consumer, we got a rock solid DSLR at a screaming deal.

Jane Anderson
Like?
In reply to w4rmk, May 1, 2009

I read something in the news about Best Buy issuing coupons to customers then they had police there to arrest them as they tried to use these coupons. It sounds way out there but I definitely read this in the news.
Jane

junior
Regular MemberPosts: 371
Like?
Jane
In reply to Jane Anderson, May 2, 2009

Jane Anderson wrote:

I read something in the news about Best Buy issuing coupons to
customers then they had police there to arrest them as they tried to
use these coupons. It sounds way out there but I definitely read
this in the news.
Jane

Jane,Don't take this the wrong way but, sounds a little bizarre

REBlue
Senior MemberPosts: 1,925Gear list
Like?
Re: Jane

Actually, it is not as far fetched as it might sound. Law enforcement has often run stings where they round up wanted fugitives by leading them to believe that they have won a prize and need only come to a certain location to claim their prize. Of course when they arrive, they are arrested on the outstanding warrant. I could see them lending a little more credence to the stings by utilizing a cooperating merchant. The only thing that causes me to hesitate is the fact that no law enforcement agency would be too comfortable running such an operation in an area occupied by the general public, in the event that an arrest were to go bad.

To the OP, I would agree that you can't put too much credence into the information that you get from the average clerk at Best Buy or most any big box store. I think the clerk more than demonstrated his lack of any knowledge regarding photography or the equipment.
--

http://community.webshots.com/user/REBlue01
http://www.flickr.com/photos/reblue/sets/

REBlue's gear list:REBlue's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
LensEnvy
Contributing MemberPosts: 510
Like?

Jane Anderson wrote:

So I asked about the D300. They said yes they had it in
store, then they said they can match the online price due to the d300
being discontinued.

Yes, it's loony, and yes, the guy was wrong. But big box stores are known for some nutty policies at times.

Instead of being worried about whether the D300 was discontinued, I'd have asked him to ring it up right then over the phone at the D200 price, then driven to pick it up (confirming the deal with his manager first). There's a chance you could have gotten an amazing deal.

REBlue
Like?
Deal or Steal?
In reply to LensEnvy, May 2, 2009

I don't know that knowingly exploiting another's mistake is really getting "an amazing deal."
--

Nikon D50 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
junior
Regular MemberPosts: 371
Like?
Steal
In reply to REBlue, May 2, 2009

REBlue wrote:

I don't know that knowingly exploiting another's mistake is really
getting "an amazing deal."
--

A steal! Janes story sounds fishy to me, I was offerd a d300 for 599., come on.

JTatyosian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,635
Like?
Re: Another BB story!

Holy moly Jane! Anything else you want to tell me about BB? I have a story myself actually. I once bought a "white" oven from BB, and they delivered a black one. The 23 year old store manager punk ordered me a new one, and told me it costs $50 more. I took him back to the stick where it stated that the black and white ones were the same price. He had the nerve to say I was saving $50 dollars. I didn't think of it at the time, but really, I saved BB a couple million in false advertisement. Thought I'd scare my BB experience too. I can't just tell people I would buy the same item for $400 more elsewhere and let them think I'm made of money! Like I said, I'll never step foot into BB again.

Jane Anderson wrote:

I would never trust Best Buy to buy online. My first digicam was
purchased from BB and I got it home and my brand new cam came with
the smart media card already in, and filled with pictures of a
family. It was obviously a return. A friend of mine got a hard
drive at BB, got it home and opened it. Empty box. I would only buy
at BB if I could do the hot pixel tests right there in the store with
my brand new unit. And if I could find another store, I would
definitely choose that one over BB.
Jane

-- hide signature --

John Tatyosian
Check out my site: http://sites.google.com/site/JTatyosian

Jane Anderson
Like?
In reply to junior, May 2, 2009

And it is even more bizarre when you follow the link. I found the story. This isn't the one about the guy being arrested when he paid in two dollar bills. (Legal, the government had to tell Best Buy a two dollar bill is legal tender when BB had the poor customer arrested). This is yet another episode in the continuing goofups of Best Buy.
http://www.geek.com/articles/news/best-buy-is-having-people-arrested-20020424/
Jane

junior wrote:

Jane Anderson wrote:

I read something in the news about Best Buy issuing coupons to
customers then they had police there to arrest them as they tried to
use these coupons. It sounds way out there but I definitely read
this in the news.
Jane

Jane,Don't take this the wrong way but, sounds a little bizarre

REBlue
Like?

Oh my, this is something entirely different than what I thought. Mistaken ads raise some rather sticky questions of contract law.
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads