I read this about the 5DmkII (Comment by Jeff Ascough)

Started Apr 18, 2009 | Discussions
Tario
Senior MemberPosts: 1,401
Like?
I read this about the 5DmkII (Comment by Jeff Ascough)
Apr 18, 2009

In a photo magazine which listed top ten wedding photogs. with their tips etc etc for a successful start..Jeff Ascough ( I gather needs to introduction)

Said that with the new Canon 5DmarkII he uses , it being so great in the high ISO settings. said he'll never have to use flash again with having this camera. ..unless he's shooting in complete darkness...

His work is awesome (all by available light - maybe EVEN VIDEO LIGHT...WHO KNOWS..AND THIS WORKS FOr him. Then you see great works with flash by Ghionis and of course Annie Leivbovtiz sp. and you say wow..how is it possible..to go use such different extremes and yet get such great works of art....Kinda makes it hard to determine what you really want to excel in..strobist, or available light...iI do and try both..succeffully too however stuido lighting has such a VAST array of possibilities - enough to drive you nuts.....you really can't know it all in this field..

But I'm am surprised that the 5D mark II is that much better than the original 5D in lowl light..

I use my 5D in low light allthe time and I think it's great...and to read that the new 5DMarkII is THAT good...that flash (in wedding work....let's not get excited here) is not needed, (according to Jeff Ascough - who's work I adore) is really something..I just may look into selling one of the 5D's for this markII afterall.
--
Canon 20D
Canon 5D

BMinton
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
Re: I read this about the 5DmkII (Comment by Jeff Ascough)
In reply to Tario, Apr 18, 2009

The 5d2 is a great camera in many ways, after a couple of more firmware updates it might work as advertised.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jackkurtz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,298Gear list
Like?
Re: I read this about the 5DmkII (Comment by Jeff Ascough)
In reply to Tario, Apr 18, 2009

High ISO with the Mark II is astonishingly good. I've had my 5D Mark II bodies since they became available (got the second one shipped into the Phoenix market) and everytime I go above 1600 ISO I am blown away.

This photo: http://web.mac.com/kurtzjack/jacks_joint/My_Occasional_Blog/Entries/2009/3/16_Call_to_Prayer.html was made at ISO 6400, exposure of 1/10th at f1.8. It really was more visible darkness than visible light.

(And my 5D Mark II bodies have worked right out of the box).

jack

 jackkurtz's gear list:jackkurtz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus PEN E-P5 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BMinton
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
Re: I read this about the 5DmkII (Comment by Jeff Ascough)
In reply to jackkurtz, Apr 18, 2009

If you got working bodies you are lucky.

Mine is going to have to go back, as are hundreds of others, to fix banding and hot pixel problems.

I thought after the 1d Mark III debacle Canon would have learned but I guess not.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Curator
Contributing MemberPosts: 868
Like?
Hundreds being returned?
In reply to BMinton, Apr 18, 2009

BMinton wrote:

If you got working bodies you are lucky.

Mine is going to have to go back, as are hundreds of others, to fix
banding and hot pixel problems.

How do they fix this banding issue?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BMinton
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
They don't have a fix for it yet.
In reply to Curator, Apr 18, 2009
-- hide signature --

They do not have a fix for it yet.

You have two choices.

You can either accept it and wait until they come up with a fix for it, or not buy the camera until it's been addressed. They are aware of the problem, they just don't have a solution for it.

I should be used to this coming from Canon, since I've owned my 1d Mark III for 2 years and they still are finding things wrong with it, all design flaws. It just peeves me that my 5d Mark II now has to go through the same process.

I like Canon gear but by the same token, a little more thorough field testing before they sell thousands of cameras would save everyone a lot of headaches.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Leo100
Regular MemberPosts: 152
Like?
Re: They don't have a fix for it yet.
In reply to BMinton, Apr 19, 2009

I have a 5D 11 and still have not updated the firmware. It was one of the first batch into the UK.

It's fine with no banding at all. Can't say about the small black dots when shooting into bright lights, guess why?

I have not updated my 40D either as the main reason seems to be language support.

I have updated in the past on other Canon bodies successfully but do not feel compelled at this time as both bodies are performing very well.

I have had Hot pixels on many cameras, easy to deal with in PP but irritating non the less.

So far not an issue with my current bodies.

I an cautious, one reason is that these updates can go wrong, lets not talk about my Macbook's three month holiday or the GUI scrambled on a new Mac Pro.

If anyone thinks this is an invite to a PC/Mac rant they are mistaken.

But it's true that manufacturers are rushing out products leaving the customers to do the shake down cruise.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BMinton
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
Re: They don't have a fix for it yet.
In reply to Leo100, Apr 19, 2009

I had one of the first 5d2's in the U.S. I never saw the black dots on mine even though I shot dozens of night shots with points of light. But I noticed the banding and excessive shadow noise at low ISO's almost immediately. The newest firmware did not fix this. Updating DPP to 3.6 helped a lot with the shadow noise but the banding is still there.

Now that the camera has been out for awhile and more people are able to get one, the banding problem is becoming more apparent. There is another thread on here from today from another 5d2 owner who is seeing it on his.

If you aren't seeing it you are lucky.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
xtoph
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,601Gear list
Like?
the big difference
In reply to Tario, Apr 19, 2009

isn't with lower noise levels but with far better color in poor light.

my 5d did amazingly well in low light, but you had to dial back the saturation and make allowances, and shadows completely fell apart. i really didn't like to ever go above 1600. my 5d2 is far better; i am getting overall noticeably better results at iso 3200 than i did before a full stop slower.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vibrio
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,004
Like?
odd
In reply to BMinton, Apr 19, 2009

mine works, it take pictures as advertised.

BMinton wrote:

The 5d2 is a great camera in many ways, after a couple of more
firmware updates it might work as advertised.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vibrio
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,004
Like?
how do you know
In reply to BMinton, Apr 19, 2009

never heard of any being returned.

I had a hot pixel and fixed it with the mirror clean fix.

I only get banding at iso 25600 which is irrelavent.

BMinton wrote:

If you got working bodies you are lucky.

Mine is going to have to go back, as are hundreds of others, to fix
banding and hot pixel problems.

I thought after the 1d Mark III debacle Canon would have learned but
I guess not.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
natureman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,979
Like?
Re: how do you know
In reply to Vibrio, Apr 19, 2009

Vibrio wrote:

never heard of any being returned.

Apparently you haven't been reading this forum for long, or any of the other forums on the internet where people discuss the 5D2. As is typical with Canon, some of the cameras apparently work fine, while a good number of others don't.

I had a hot pixel and fixed it with the mirror clean fix.

I only get banding at iso 25600 which is irrelavent.

BMinton wrote:

If you got working bodies you are lucky.

Mine is going to have to go back, as are hundreds of others, to fix
banding and hot pixel problems.

I thought after the 1d Mark III debacle Canon would have learned but
I guess not.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BMinton
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
Dozens and dozens of reports are coming out
In reply to Vibrio, Apr 19, 2009
-- hide signature --

Dozens of reports are coming out now about banding at ISO 100 and 200, stuck pixels (there's another new thread on here today about that), just do some searches and you'll find the complaints.

Clearly Canon did not properly test the camera before it was released, and things like stuck pixels right out of the box are such an incredibly obvious quality control problem - unbelievable that they would do this again after fighting the 1d and 1ds Mark III's for two years now.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JonAngelo
Contributing MemberPosts: 697
Like?
flash is not only about low light
In reply to Tario, Apr 19, 2009

for me it is mostly about controlling the light.

-- hide signature --

Jon Angelo Gjetting
Website: http://www.gjetting.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JimW
Regular MemberPosts: 253Gear list
Like?
Canon's 5DmkII (Comment by Jeff Ascough), I line-up in agreement
In reply to Tario, Apr 19, 2009

Tario wrote:

In a photo magazine which listed top ten wedding photogs. with their
tips etc etc for a successful start..Jeff Ascough ( I gather needs to
introduction)
Said that with the new Canon 5DmarkII he uses , it being so great
in the high ISO settings. said he'll never have to use flash again
with having this camera. ..unless he's shooting in complete
darkness...

His work is awesome (all by available light - maybe EVEN VIDEO
LIGHT...WHO KNOWS..AND THIS WORKS FOr him. Then you see great works
with flash by Ghionis and of course Annie Leivbovtiz sp. and you say
wow..how is it possible..to go use such different extremes and yet
get such great works of art....Kinda makes it hard to determine what
you really want to excel in..strobist, or available light...iI do and
try both..succeffully too however stuido lighting has such a VAST
array of possibilities - enough to drive you nuts.....you really
can't know it all in this field..
But I'm am surprised that the 5D mark II is that much better than the
original 5D in lowl light..
I use my 5D in low light allthe time and I think it's great...and to
read that the new 5DMarkII is THAT good...that flash (in wedding
work....let's not get excited here) is not needed, (according to Jeff
Ascough - who's work I adore) is really something..I just may look
into selling one of the 5D's for this markII afterall.

I freely adit that the 5D2 is a wonderful camera.

We have not experienced any of the problems one often hears from the particiants here at dpreview.

Note this, if the complainers do not disclose who they are...
they could be 10 year olds, or Nikon owners, envious of our possessions.

The high ISO results has never before been available to photographers In the film-world 15 years ago, once one passed 400 ISO, the results were terrible..

With the 5D2 when you enter 12,800, applying some "noiseware" makes the images amazingly smooth and detailed. You can visit our site and thousands of examples.

JimW

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vibrio
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,004
Like?
Re: how do you know
In reply to natureman, Apr 19, 2009

never had a problem with any of the 4 canon cameras I've had and I've never seen hundreds of people complain about the 5D2. sounds like someone jsut making numbers up

natureman wrote:

Vibrio wrote:

never heard of any being returned.

Apparently you haven't been reading this forum for long, or any of
the other forums on the internet where people discuss the 5D2. As is
typical with Canon, some of the cameras apparently work fine, while a
good number of others don't.

I had a hot pixel and fixed it with the mirror clean fix.

I only get banding at iso 25600 which is irrelavent.

BMinton wrote:

If you got working bodies you are lucky.

Mine is going to have to go back, as are hundreds of others, to fix
banding and hot pixel problems.

I thought after the 1d Mark III debacle Canon would have learned but
I guess not.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BMinton
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
Re: Canon's 5DmkII (Comment by Jeff Ascough), I line-up in agreement
In reply to JimW, Apr 19, 2009

Note this, if the complainers do not disclose who they are...
they could be 10 year olds, or Nikon owners, envious of our possessions.

Just so you know, I have have been a Canon user for over 25 years and a photographer for 40 years. I am a PPA member - http://www.ppa.com feel free to check or visit http://www.bobminton.com . I have no qualms about disclosing who I am The issues that I am talking about are very, very real. If you have not seen them, then great for you. There are two threads here on DPReview TODAY talking about stuck pixels on brand new 5d2s. There is a huge thread on fredmiranda.com talking about the low iso banding. This is not something that people are making up, this is really happening.

If you remember for a long time people said there was nothing wrong with the 1d Mark III AF system as well. Canon STILL hasn't got it right. I have one and it's been recalled for a THIRD time. First for the submirror fix, second for cold weather mirrorbox problems, now a third time for another AF fix. The 1ds Mark IIIs also had QC problems with misaligned sensors. These are not things I am making up out of thin air to make Canon look bad. I am simply trying to hold Canon accountable for sending out faulty equipment.

There is absolutely no question in my mind that the 5d Mark II (and yes I own one, I can email you a copy of my Adorama receipt if you would like me to prove it) has a design flaw in the sensor or the processor. Maybe not every single one of them but a great many of them. There are far too many complaints coming out now about low ISO banding, excessive shadow noise and hot pixels to be a coincidence.

Again, if you have a 5d2 and it is working great for you, that is wonderful. There are many 5d2 owners that are not sharing your experience. Canon claimed that the sensor in the 5d2 would outperform the sensor in the 1ds Mark III and that has not proven to be true for many of us.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
Re: how do you know
In reply to Vibrio, Apr 19, 2009

Vibrio wrote:

never had a problem with any of the 4 canon cameras I've had and I've
never seen hundreds of people complain about the 5D2. sounds like
someone jsut making numbers up

. . . . Exactly.

. . . DPR's forums are not representative of the real world experiences of the overwhelming majority of Canon users. This place is a magnet for people who have problems.

 Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David Hull
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,555Gear list
Like?
Mine seems to work fine
In reply to Tario, Apr 19, 2009

I did a check for hot pixels shortly after I got it and found none, not a single one. I have not seen this banding issue either. Now, creaking plastic around the battery door -- yep I have that. Today I will be at a Canon sponsored event and I plan to let them have it about that one.

 David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
Re: Mine seems to work fine
In reply to David Hull, Apr 19, 2009

David Hull wrote:

I did a check for hot pixels shortly after I got it and found none,
not a single one. I have not seen this banding issue either. Now,
creaking plastic around the battery door -- yep I have that. Today I
will be at a Canon sponsored event and I plan to let them have it
about that one.

. . . . Tell them that you want a written apology and a free neck strap.

lol

 Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads