which adapter pentax lens to nikon body?

Started Apr 15, 2009 | Discussions
spikew
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
which adapter pentax lens to nikon body?
Apr 15, 2009

hello,

i have three pentax lenses, i really like them, i have been using them for years. i have only recently gone digital by acquiring a Nikon D70. is there an adapter ring out there i can use to fit these pentax lenses to my D70?
here are the specs for each:

• SMC Pentax-M 1:2.8 28mm

• SMC Pentax-M 1:2.8 100mm

• SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm

very grateful for any help.
thanks.

markkuk
Contributing MemberPosts: 570Gear list
Like?
Re: which adapter pentax lens to nikon body?
In reply to spikew, Apr 15, 2009

You should have bought a Pentax digital body if using your old lenses is important to you. The Pentax lens mount has shorter flange distance ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_depth ) than the Nikon mount, so a simple adapter without optics isn't possible.

markkuk's gear list:markkuk's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ringwraith69
Senior MemberPosts: 2,407
Like?
In reply to spikew, Apr 15, 2009

spikew wrote:

hello,
i have three pentax lenses, i really like them, i have been using
them for years. i have only recently gone digital by acquiring a
Nikon D70. is there an adapter ring out there i can use to fit these
pentax lenses to my D70?
here are the specs for each:

• SMC Pentax-M 1:2.8 28mm

• SMC Pentax-M 1:2.8 100mm

• SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm

very grateful for any help.
thanks.

I'm not really that familiar with Pentax lenses in general, so my first question would be: are these screw mount (M42) lenses or are they PK bayonet versions?

If they're screw mount, there are two different types of adapters. One is just a simple metal ring without any optics. With many lenses, that won't give you infinity focus because of the differences between the Pentax-mount and the Nikon F-bayonet. These adapters are cheap, but have a severe limitation in usefullness.

The second type of adapter has a corrective optic element fitted, and will allow infinity focussing. They're more expensive, but are much more usefull, I'd advise you to go for this type of adapter.

If these lenses are PK bayonet mount, I have no idea if there are adapters that will allow using them on Nikon bodies. It might be an option to sell the lenses, and get a comparable set of MF Nikkors.

-- hide signature --

'We are only immortal for a limited time'

spikew
Like?
In reply to Ringwraith69, Apr 15, 2009

thanks a lot for your help, i took a second look at the lenses, and they are indeed the bayonnet PK type mount, so like you said i don't think there's much i can do, apart from selling them. thanks again.

spikew
Like?
In reply to spikew, Apr 16, 2009

hi,
yes maybe i should have bought a Pentax body instead of the Nikon D70.

but just out of curiosity could you tell me which digital Pentax bodies are compatible with my three lenses? any recent SLR's such as the K20D perhaps?
thanks for letting me know.

Kribu
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
In reply to spikew, Apr 16, 2009

As far as I know, all Pentax DSLRs should be compatible with those lenses. Best check in the Pentax DSLR forum though - people there have more experience with older lenses!

Skip Landsmann
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to spikew, May 4, 2009

I think all old pentax lenses are backward compatible with the K20. You only need an adapter with the screw mount.

Olaf Marzocchi
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ringwraith69, Mar 22, 2010

Actually there are adaptors with a corrective lens, so that you can use pentax k lenses on nikon f cameras.
The question is: will the quality of the pictures be affected heavily?

Olaf Marzocchi's gear list:Olaf Marzocchi's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +1 more
Ringwraith69
Senior MemberPosts: 2,407
Like?
In reply to Olaf Marzocchi, Mar 22, 2010

Are you really sure about that? I only know about adapters that allow the use of M42 screw mount lenses on a Nikon F-mount body...

-- hide signature --

AnandaSim
Forum ProPosts: 13,422Gear list
Like?
In reply to spikew, Mar 22, 2010

Those three lenses would be fun to use as manual focus - the focal length and the max f/no are useful. Pentax K manual focus lenses work on all current Pentax digital bodies (but manual focus and manual aperture) - they can also fit with adapter on Four Thirds (Olympus & Panasonic) and Micro Four Thirds bodies.

spikew wrote:

hi,
yes maybe i should have bought a Pentax body instead of the Nikon D70.

but just out of curiosity could you tell me which digital Pentax bodies are compatible with my three lenses? any recent SLR's such as the K20D perhaps?
thanks for letting me know.

-- hide signature --
 AnandaSim's gear list:AnandaSim's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +15 more
Brian D. Schneider
Forum ProPosts: 16,024
Like?
In reply to Ringwraith69, Mar 22, 2010

Ringwraith69 wrote:

Are you really sure about that? I only know about adapters that allow the use of M42 screw mount lenses on a Nikon F-mount body...

-- hide signature --

Heres a PK to nilon adapter, it has a glass element which would act as a weak teleconverter. Quality probably not be very good.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/adapter-for-Pentax-PK-K-lens-to-Nikon-AI-adapter-D700D3_W0QQitemZ370340824119QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLens_Accessories?hash=item563a088437
--
Brian Schneider

Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,455Gear list
Like?
No, don't bother
In reply to spikew, Mar 22, 2010

No, don't do it. Using adaptors are a pain in the tush. You won't get the best image out of them anyway.

Look, if you're serious about photography, sell those and buy a Nikon lens. Didn't that D70 come with something? Or, sell that D70 and buy a Pentax. If those will fit on a Pentax Kx, that would be great.

If you're not that serious about photography, sell the lenses and the D70 and get a little point and shoot and be happy. Personally, I'd get a Pentax body. I love Nikon but for fun, using those lenses on a Pentax body might be a ball.
--
Cheers, Craig

Equipment in Plan via Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads