Like?
PocketWizard pauses shipments of MiniTT1 and FLexTT5
Mar 26, 2009
adam klarer
Regular MemberPosts: 276
Like?
Another reason-
In reply to phila_guy, Mar 26, 2009

To never be amongst the earliest of adopters. There's no better test bench than what we all do with our gear on a day-in, day-out basis.
--
Adam Klarer

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shangrila
Forum MemberPosts: 92
Like?
Re: Another reason-
In reply to adam klarer, Mar 27, 2009

adam klarer wrote:

To never be amongst the earliest of adopters. There's no better test
bench than what we all do with our gear on a day-in, day-out basis.
--
Adam Klarer

generally agree.

but whats the problem with updating the units by a few mouseclicks and a couple of minutes time?

adam klarer
Regular MemberPosts: 276
Like?
Response-
In reply to Shangrila, Mar 27, 2009

You're assuming that this will be the only issue with this new product, and I appreciate the positive attitude! Although I love new gear as much as anybody, it's always been my philosophy to first wait until some time passes re new technology, allowing others to do the field testing. Then I'll spend a bit more to get quality gear IF I need it. BIG emphasis on the IF. IF I can make money off of it, my clients pay, not me.

All that said, I'll probably by this PW product once its had its shakedown cruise.

Thanks!
--
Adam Klarer

UncleMikey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,023
Like?
Re: PocketWizard pauses shipments of MiniTT1 and FLexTT5
In reply to phila_guy, Mar 28, 2009

I would like to hear from others who actually have the new PWs to see if they are having similar experiences as me...

I have both the TT1 and TT5 and I would have to say that they do not operate anywhere close to the solid reliability of my older PW units. There are lots of glitches - at least that has been my experience. Here are some of the problems I have encountered.

• The TTI does not work as a simple 'pass through' unit. If you turn the TT1 off, the flash will not work. If the TT1 is turned on, the flash will not work exactly as it would if only the flash was in the hotshoe. This is something of a problem because it does not allow you to keep the TT1 on the camera and switch to wireless use when you want it.

• Using the TT1 on camera ( or the TT5 on camera) many of the flash functions are erratic. FEC that is set on the main flash has little/no effect on the flash power with the PW system but it does work when just using the Canon ETTL wireless system.

• I have had several situations in which the slave flashes just don't fire. I am not sure why - I have checked everything, batteries are good, PWs/flash/camera turned on in the proper sequence, but the slave will sometimes just not fire.

• any adjustments made to the system seem to throw it off. IF for example, you set an A-B of two flashes between the on-camera flash and the off camera slave, the slave may stop firing if you change that ratio on the Master flash. I have found that it sometimes requires a shut down of the slave flash and the attached TT5 along with the on camera parts of the system. Fire it up again and it works.

Bottom line - I have loved PWs because of their total rock solid dependability. Some of what I am experiencing could be due to lack of experience with this specific equipment but I am also not a newbie and I know how to set things up.

UncleMikey
Like?
In reply to UncleMikey, Mar 28, 2009

I have since found out that FEC does work if set on the camera, FEC does not work if set on the master flash.

JJ Simpson
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?
and...
In reply to UncleMikey, Mar 29, 2009

Which camera are we talking about here?...

UncleMikey wrote:

I have since found out that FEC does work if set on the camera, FEC
does not work if set on the master flash.

JJ Simpson's gear list:JJ Simpson's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +6 more
Don Krauss
Contributing MemberPosts: 706Gear list
Like?
In reply to UncleMikey, Mar 30, 2009

I have to agree that the reliability is questionable. The TT1 and TT5 system seems to work better in shorter ranges, but when the TT1 used with several Multimax's at longer ranges, sometimes the TT1 doesn't trigger.

Some of the problem could be me. I notice if you put your hand over the TT1, it seems to block the RF. I use portrait orientation a lot, and it is hard to keep my hand away fron the hotshoe area.

I was shooting a wrestling event last night with three large monolights around the ring at a good distance. Each had a PW multimax. With the TT1, I kept losing triggers on a 1DmIII set to manual 1/125 @f/5.6 iso 100. Eventually, I just switched to another multimax and never lost another trigger. Better yet the multimax allowed me to select which monolights to fire.

I will stick to the simple wireless configuration with close proximity from now on with the TT1. It seems to work pretty good that way. I will leave the big jobs to the old faithful PW's.

-- hide signature --

Don

Don Krauss's gear list:Don Krauss's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +3 more
k_strecker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,121
Like?
In reply to phila_guy, Mar 30, 2009

whoops, added to wrong thread

UncleMikey
Like?
Re: and...
In reply to JJ Simpson, Mar 30, 2009

Was using Canon 5D I.

UncleMikey
Like?
Don -
In reply to Don Krauss, Mar 30, 2009

Don - I used the TT1 / TT5 setup for a wedding on Saturday. First setting was with TT1 on the camera ( 5D) no on-camera flash, and a 580 off to the side firing into an umbrella for fill light. It worked very well - distance was very close - maybe 10 feet from camera to slave.

Second location ( dance floor) had mixed results. I have a 580 on the camera with a TT1 on camera and another 580 on a light stand aimed up at the white cieling, triggered by a TT5. When it worked it created a nice light, but I kept loosing the connection or something and the slave would not fire. Also, setting the FEC on camera seemed to have no effect. When the slave failed to fire, I would press the Test/Learn button and most of the time that would reestablish the connection, but in one situation I had to power off the camera, TT1, and 580 and then restart.

Yesterday I did some tests, using two flashes on a 5D, first with the Canon wireless system and then with PW. The Canon system consistently gave better and more consistent exposure. THe PWs would underexpose and setting FEC on camera seemed to have no effect. I have several bodies, several flashes, etc and I mixed things up to see if perhaps it was one piece of the equipment, but it was not. The PWs just were not consistent

Jesus Padilla
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
Re: use radiopoppers!!!
In reply to UncleMikey, Apr 1, 2009

I had the dilemma between radiopoppers and the new pocketwizard, i choose radipopers and do not regret, they just work i used them a few weeks ago i shot a 1200 pictures zero fails..zero problem with distance in the large hall, radiopoppers are the best investment for my job..
if you have time i invite you to see these mega post using the radio poppers
warning a lot of images!!
http://www.forodefoto.com/index.php?topic=7504.0

lockandload
Contributing MemberPosts: 518
Like?
Re: use radiopoppers!!!
In reply to Jesus Padilla, Apr 2, 2009

Awesome pictures, beautiful quinceanera! --

http://www.pbase.com/ronkeele

Shangrila
Forum MemberPosts: 92
Like?
great images, and first disappointing pw-test
In reply to lockandload, Apr 2, 2009

agree, great images.

I tested my 2 new flextt5 yesterday, did not have a lot of time, and only indoors: placed remote in the floor and shot from living room. but around 20ft the 580ex already stopped working. will have to test more, but this initial one was very disappointing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads