Camera strap around Wrist

Started Mar 13, 2009 | Discussions
nileshbhise
Regular MemberPosts: 266
Like?
Camera strap around Wrist
Mar 13, 2009

No. I am not looking for Wrist straps. I want to know how you guys wrap your camera straps around your wrist? Somehow it loosens when I try it.

I have a hand grip but I find it limiting when I am not shooting and it's awkward to slip my hand into and shoot

Any tips/photos/video links for better use of strap is greatly appreciated.

-- hide signature --
Hyun Yu
Contributing MemberPosts: 716
Like?
Re: Camera strap around Wrist
In reply to nileshbhise, Mar 13, 2009

This isn't strictly what you asked about, but I use Hakuba and Opteka wrist grip straps with my DSLRs. Basically, it's a baseplate that screws into the camera's tripod socket that lets you use hand straps that normally requires a battery grip to attach. Here's the Opteka version:

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Professional-Wrist-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00166EUI0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236957577&sr=8-1

And the Hakuba version:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/194968-REG/Hakuba_KGP02_Camera_Grip_LH.html

Personally I feel the baseplate of the Hakuba setup is better built, but the hand strap that comes with the Opteka version is more comfortable. Or, you can just get the Opteka version for $8 and use the Nikon or Canon E1 hand strap.

I've been using these setups for my 30D, 450D, and D200 for years with great results.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Arree
Senior MemberPosts: 1,484Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hyun Yu, Mar 13, 2009

I use a wristsupphort, it looks like the Hakuba but its not the same.
I cannot find any brandname on it, which not makes it easier.
Mine is made from leather and I bought it at Pantip(Bangkok) for 750 bht(14 €).

It has the form of a triangle which covers exactly the back of my hand and I use it always for my D300.
The seller told me it was universal and also for oly/canon cameras.
It works perfectly

It is not really easy to put it on/of your hand but it stays there and you only need to take it of for peeing and if you want to eat/drink something, unles you can do that with your other hand

Your always ready to shoot, just lift your arm look trough the viewfinder, adjust and click.
Perfect !

Regards,

Arree

Like to see some pic's ?
http://picasaweb.google.nl/Arretje56/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13935871@N04/

Arree's gear list:Arree's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
MMuddler
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,420
Like?
In reply to nileshbhise, Mar 14, 2009

I undo the neck strap and twist it three times then re-attach. I hold the camera in left hand and let the strap hang down in front of me and insert right hand thru the middle of the loop and draw it around to the right in a circular motion counterclockwise so the strap is rolled around my wrist. Do that once, twice and a third time. If the strap is properly lengthend the last twist gets my hand on the grip with the last bit of strap coming over my knuckles to attach to the camera. next to the shutter button. If you have twirled the neck strap properly there are no twists in the strap. Tighten/lengthen to suit your taste. Sometimes I like to leave enough slack to be able to put left hand thru the remaining loop so i can pull the strap taut while using the left hand on the lens. I carry the camera this way all the time unless it is in my bag. It never ever hangs around my neck. --
Marabou Muddler
http://MMuddler.smugmug.com/Sports

Jetranger_Pilot
Senior MemberPosts: 1,811
Like?

My camera strap goes around my neck, not my wrist.

-- hide signature --

'Let my heart be broken by the things that break the heart of God.'
===============
Nikon D300 - MB-D10 - SB800 - TC-14EII TC-17EII TC-20EII
Nikon 24-70(2.8), 105VR(2.8), 70-200 VR(2.8), 300VR(2.8)
http://wretchedradio.com

pekored
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?

I will likely get flamed for this ... but I use a wrist strap from a point & shoot for my Nikon D300. Believe it or not, I hand carry my camera 95% of the time and the wrist strap is in case it were to slip out of my grip ... and that has never happened (yet). I am not a spring chicken when it comes to cameras and have had an SLR/DSLR for 30+ years. I have not dropped one yet. (yes, I have left the house with my cameras and yes, I have even done some minor hiking this way)

The last time I used a neck strap for the D300 was to keep it warm under my parka while I was doing some winter photography of snow sculptures (I live in Winnipeg).

Be gentle on me ... I don't post too often! luv

Arree
Like?
In reply to pekored, Mar 14, 2009

pekored wrote:

I will likely get flamed for this ... but I use a wrist strap from a
point & shoot for my Nikon D300. Believe it or not, I hand carry my
camera 95% of the time and the wrist strap is in case it were to slip
out of my grip ... and that has never happened (yet). I am not a
spring chicken when it comes to cameras and have had an SLR/DSLR for
30+ years. I have not dropped one yet. (yes, I have left the house
with my cameras and yes, I have even done some minor hiking this way)

The last time I used a neck strap for the D300 was to keep it warm
under my parka while I was doing some winter photography of snow
sculptures (I live in Winnipeg).

Be gentle on me ... I don't post too often! luv

-- hide signature --

There's noting wrong with P&S, I made my best pics on moments nobody saw me shooting(as if I where not there).

I mostly use my camera for travelling as so many people here, then you need to charish the moment and not adjust your camera for 10 seconds because then the moment is gone.

Tweaking I do before I go out, and only for portraits,landscapes I take some more time but not much(we have our memorybanks so why should we).

Rgrds,

Arree

Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
nileshbhise
Like?
In reply to MMuddler, Mar 14, 2009

Thank you so much for the trick. I will try that today.

I have Hakuba grip but somehow the grip is aligned with my knuckles than back of my palm and that is I think risky

-- hide signature --
arachnophilia
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,239Gear list
Like?
my old-skool technique
In reply to nileshbhise, Mar 16, 2009

i use one of those old fashioned hippy tapestry straps. the real deal, not those ugly ones made for dSLRs recently. i know a lot of people here swear by their fancy slings with lots of gel padding and cool features but... there's something very straightforward and honest about these old things. screams "i'm old skool." plus, the red ones look downright mean on nikon cameras.

anyways, i have it done up pretty tightly, and on a set of leather strap extenders. like locking the rotating clips onto those rings more than the little triangular gromits. when at all possible, i ditch the strap all together, but obviously not if i'm out and about. i carry my camera on my right shoulder, and the strap is short enough that my camera rides just above my belt. it's faster and easier and less touristy than around the neck. and chafes less. with the grip, my camera generally hangs in a nice vertical position, and not that silly lens-down position.

my technique is as follows:
1. grip the camera in my left hand by the lens.
2. push my right out a fair distance, between the strap and the camera body

3. rotate my right hand counter-clockwise once, maybe twice depending on the lens.
4. gripping the camera again.

when done right, all of the strap is now out of the way, and the leather extender falls just under my index finger, or is draped across the back of my hand with the rest of the metal bits of the strap. the strap isn't tangled, because the clips rotate. none of this unclip and re-clip stuff, i don't have time. with only one loop, and feed the other arm through and use it to help stabilize long lenses. but i'm rocking a d200 with grip, and it's farily stable as it is, and i typically use short lenses. so i generally don't.

i tend to wrap my arm in the strap mostly in situations where i really don't want to drop my camera. i know i won't, but... well, sometimes you just gotta lean out over balconies and whatnot to get the shot. you know how it is. i'm a little less likely to do it if i know i'm gonna be switching to vertical, because it kind of messes up my ability to use my vertical grip.

arachnophilia's gear list:arachnophilia's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
arachnophilia
Like?
In reply to pekored, Mar 16, 2009

I will likely get flamed for this ... but I use a wrist strap from a
point & shoot for my Nikon D300. Believe it or not, I hand carry my
camera 95% of the time and the wrist strap is in case it were to slip
out of my grip ... and that has never happened (yet). I am not a
spring chicken when it comes to cameras and have had an SLR/DSLR for
30+ years. I have not dropped one yet. (yes, I have left the house
with my cameras and yes, I have even done some minor hiking this way)

i've never really dropped a camera either. and unless i need to carry my camera around in non-shooting mode, i prefer to go strapless. but i think the question is about the optimal way to get the strap out of the way, when you have to have it attached.

Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
arachnophilia
Like?
In reply to Jetranger_Pilot, Mar 16, 2009

My camera strap goes around my neck, not my wrist.

Nikon D300 - MB-D10 - SB800 - TC-14EII TC-17EII TC-20EII
Nikon 24-70(2.8), 105VR(2.8), 70-200 VR(2.8), 300VR(2.8)

i'm a shoulder person. carrying a camera like the one you've got and even smaller lenses around my neck always makes me feel funny, like my necks been pulled out of joint.

so my camera is a really fancy man-purse.

Jumeira_johnny
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?

I'm an extreme right handed person, and had to train myself to carry the weight of the camera on my left to avoid shoulder/back problems. I also use a thin fabric strap, although mine isn't red. And never have the strap around my neck.

I do this:
1. hold the camera with your right hand, strap dangling free.

2. Put left hand through the strap and pull the hand off to the left, looping it back towards you, then through the strap again. repeat.

This leaves my right hand free to shake and hand out business cards. and saves my right shoulder and wrist. I tend to carry my camera at the lens mount with my left hand. I leave the strap loose enough to allow the shift from landscape to portrait.
--

The greater good and individual liberty are not opposites. In fact, nothing which suppresses individual liberty could ever help the greater good.

MMuddler
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,420
Like?
Re: Camera strap around Wrist ... Left vs Right
In reply to Jumeira_johnny, Mar 16, 2009

That's great! Same as what I do but on the left side. I'll give it a try. Particularly useful when I am lugging around the large telephoto and holding it by the pistol grip.... but I'm also used to carrying my relatively small 80-200 by the barrel since it doesn't have the Kirk collar.
--
Marabou Muddler
http://MMuddler.smugmug.com/Sports

nileshbhise
Like?
In reply to Jumeira_johnny, Mar 16, 2009

This is a good trick too. Balancing on the left is appealing since it keeps right hand free for whatever stuff being right handed person. must feel awkward though

Will give it a try

Thanks for the tip

-- hide signature --
parisphotog
Senior MemberPosts: 2,074
Like?

nileshbhise wrote:

No. I am not looking for Wrist straps. I want to know how you guys
wrap your camera straps around your wrist? Somehow it loosens when I
try it.

2 or 3 wraps of the strap on your right wrist works great, take up any slack behind the body with your thumb. It's really very simple, easier than driving a car I'd guess.

I have a hand grip but I find it limiting when I am not shooting and
it's awkward to slip my hand into and shoot

Any tips/photos/video links for better use of strap is greatly
appreciated.

Sorry, no video to help explain how to wrap a strap around your wrist.

Arree
Like?
In reply to parisphotog, Mar 16, 2009

I done it before I had a whristsuphort.

It is very simple just turn your strap clockwize around your right whrist 2 or 3 times while it is on your camera and hold your camera.
This might work for you, I hope.

Regards,

Arree

Like to see some pic's ?
http://picasaweb.google.nl/Arretje56/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13935871@N04/

Arree
Like?
In reply to Arree, Mar 16, 2009

Sorry misstake Counterclockwize !!!!!!

Rgrds,

Arree

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads