Tokina Sigma Tamron

Started Mar 6, 2009 | Discussions
borobudur
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Tokina Sigma Tamron
Mar 6, 2009

I am juz wondering which of these third party lens brand is your favourite....or which one u think is more credible ? ......

Sigma is known for its wealth of selections, constantly updating their lens with new versions, seems to be the most ambitious of the 3, introducing their line of SLR too.....most noteable lens is probably Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM

tamron is not so popular with their plasticky construction and bad QC,but win reviews based on their excellent optical performance,............. most noteable lens is probably Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)

tokina is well know for their tank built quality but slow in introducing new lens, least technological, no VR no HSM in their current line of lens, least ambitious of the 3, least reviewed by people....... and DPR has not made any tokina lens review.....most noteable lens is probably Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX

Peco1
Regular MemberPosts: 187
Like?
Re: Tokina Sigma Tamron
In reply to borobudur, Mar 6, 2009

I just love my Tokina lenses.
12-24, 100mm makro and 28-70 (old Pro version 2.6/2.8).

IQ is great and for la lot less $$$ than Nikon lenses.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To shoot or not to shoot.....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
binky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,074
Like?
In reply to Peco1, Mar 6, 2009

I have sent back several lens from sigma and Tamron for OC problems

the Tokina is a little off the cutting edge but they work and work and work with out a problem

jimrpdx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,851Gear list
Like?
In reply to binky, Mar 7, 2009

My one Sigma lens was a poor copy, but I know they do some fine work too; I've contemplated their 17-70 more than once. Tamron's 18-250 is pretty amazing, compromises are fewer than one would expect for such an ambitious range. Sadly, very few Tokinas are available for the KM/Sony crowd; I'd love to try a 16-50 :^(

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 II
Donald Madson
Regular MemberPosts: 361
Like?
In reply to borobudur, Mar 7, 2009

I've got two Tokina lenses, a 12-24, and an 80-400. Both are good lenses. I also have a Sigma 30/1.4, and it's terrific.

Although there are lots of posts demeaning aftermarket lenses, a lot of the lenses are quite a good value, and, if used within their limits, will produce good images.

Regards!
Don
--
Dragon T'ai Chi Ch'uan...Relaxation, with an attitude.
http://www.dmadson.photoreflect.com

BigDog Kenny
Regular MemberPosts: 355
Like?

I have the Sigma 10-20mm wide angle & 150mm f2.8 macro lenses. The 150mm is my current favorite piece of glass - very versatile, bright, sharp & just a joy to use. I have also owned Tokina lenses, but was never happy with them. Never had a Tamron.
--
BigDog Ken Griffith

http://kengriffith.smugmug.com/

Sunny Westchester, NY

artyman
Regular MemberPosts: 439
Like?
In reply to BigDog Kenny, Mar 7, 2009

Bought a Sigma 150-500 a month ago and very pleased with it.
--
artyman
http://www.artyman.co.uk

PersonalTech
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?

I love the build quality of current Tokina lenses, but hate the excessive flare and CA. The lack of lack of true AF-S/USM/HSM is another issue. The 11-16 is intriguing, but the aforementioned optical issues dampen my enthusiasm, and I'd ultimately prefer range over speed in this focal length.

Tamron certainly knows how to make a sharp lens, but the build quality is a major let-down. Their squeaky-sqawky, slow as tar in-lens motors don't help either. Pictures from their current 70-200 are dynamite looking, and it would be hard not to try one if I had a full-frame camera.

The only one of the three I currently own lenses from is Sigma. Their build quality, while not as impressive as Tokina's, is certainly adequate for me (at least in their EX lenses). All three of my Sigmas (10-20, 24-60, 50-150) make great shots with few complaints. I've used the 150 macro, and it certainly lived up to its' lofty reputation, as did the 30 f1.4. The new 50 1.4 looks hard to pass up, for full-frame users.

Rumpis
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,089
Like?

I have experience with Sigma only. The first Sigma was 70-300 which was excessively soft @300 and I sold it. The next one was used 28-70/2.8 and I use it occasionally now. Pretty good. Then I had 70-200/2.8HSM and was happy with this lens. Sharp, light and fast. Sold only because I got Nikkor 70-200/2.8VR and I did not needed two lenses the same range.
Now I have 120-300/2.8 HSM and I am happy with it.

borobudur wrote:

I am juz wondering which of these third party lens brand is your
favourite....or which one u think is more credible ? ......

Sigma is known for its wealth of selections, constantly updating
their lens with new versions, seems to be the most ambitious of the
3, introducing their line of SLR too.....most noteable lens is
probably Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM

tamron is not so popular with their plasticky construction and bad
QC,but win reviews based on their excellent optical
performance,............. most noteable lens is probably Tamron SP
AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)

tokina is well know for their tank built quality but slow in
introducing new lens, least technological, no VR no HSM in their
current line of lens, least ambitious of the 3, least reviewed by
people....... and DPR has not made any tokina lens review.....most
noteable lens is probably Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX

-- hide signature --

Rumpis
http://foto.pudele.com/ - Low intensity blog about
photography, Nikon and some other stuff interesting to
me. Just for fun. In Latvian.

Keyboard shortcuts: