Have you all seen this ad?

Started Feb 12, 2009 | Discussions
Steve Carter
Regular MemberPosts: 130Gear list
Like?
Have you all seen this ad?
Feb 12, 2009

Hey folks, I was just reading the current issue of Pop Photo and saw an ad for the G1...with possible hints to future lens releases. I have only heard of the 7-14, 20, and 14-140 upcoming lenses, but take a look at the little picture Panasonic had at the bottom left corner showing m4/3 lenses I definitely haven't seen before

-- hide signature --

-Steve

 Steve Carter's gear list:Steve Carter's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Kevin Coppalotti
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,980
Like?
Re: Have you all seen this ad?
In reply to Steve Carter, Feb 12, 2009

Are they white lenses? Crikey, son of L.... What is that big fat one? That looks like a birding lens?
--
Kevin Coppalotti
http://maxhr.zenfolio.com/
http://razorsharp.smugmug.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mikedigi
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,433Gear list
Like?
Re: Have you all seen this ad?
In reply to Steve Carter, Feb 12, 2009

Steve Carter wrote:

Hey folks, I was just reading the current issue of Pop Photo . . . . . .

That's weird, it's unlike Panasonic to show something so indistinct, and the big lenses look light-coloured or highlight-clipped, again not typical of Panansonic . . . I'm wondering whether this is just a photo of "any" lenses - there's no camera body to tell us the relative size of the lenses.

Strange.

Mike
--
FZ8, F20, E410 (14-42mm, 40-150mm kit)

 Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kevinparis
Contributing MemberPosts: 591
Like?
Re: Have you all seen this ad?
In reply to Mikedigi, Feb 12, 2009

very curious...

the three lenses in the upper left look like they correspond with the already announced lenses... the others are a mystery... and the biggest looks the oddest... thats a big bit of glass... which usually implies speed.

maybe announcements at PMA and this ad was released a little too soon

K
--
if you really must see my photos then try
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BigBarney
Senior MemberPosts: 2,722
Like?
G1 - Maximum weight of lenses?
In reply to Steve Carter, Feb 12, 2009

Steve Carter wrote:

Hey folks, I was just reading the current issue of Pop Photo and saw
an ad for the G1...with possible hints to future lens releases. I
have only heard of the 7-14, 20, and 14-140 upcoming lenses, but take
a look at the little picture Panasonic had at the bottom left corner
showing m4/3 lenses I definitely haven't seen before

It is quite easy to spot the previously announced 20mm f1.7 pancake and 7-14mm zoom on the left of that image, but some of those on the right hand side look like some more serious glass, and is that possibly a macro lens creeping in to the right of the pancake lens?

I am one of those sad people to whom RTFM ( Read the fine manual) is obligatory. The G1 manual is clearly an automatic translation from Japanese into English as Panasonic were too lazy to ask a native speaker of English, Merkan or Strine to take a look at it. However at the bottom of page 141 of the manual supplied in the UK with the G1 is a suggestion that a weight of about 1 kg (2.2.lbs) is the largest that should be placed on the lens mount without support from a hand or a tripod. Some of the lenses illustrated look as if they may be pushing close to that limit.

Thanks for posting this as it increases my confidence that Panasonic will truly try to make micro four thirds into a system rather than a flash in the pan.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
craig w garland
Senior MemberPosts: 1,213
Like?
Re: G1 - Maximum weight of lenses?
In reply to BigBarney, Feb 12, 2009

My guess is that the one to the right of the 7-14 is the already announced 14-140, and if not that one then the one just below it. And I agree w/ Kevin that a macro may be next to the 20mm f1.7-- that big telephoto (by m43 stds;> ) is anybodys guess.

I hope Oly introduces a stable of m43 lenses too.

Thanks for the post-- a bit more info and a little more confidence in the m43 system.

Cheers. Craig
--
'Shoot freely and edit ruthlessly' me, November 2003-- after purchase of E-1.
Equipment in profile.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GAREB
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,662
Like?
Re: Have you all seen this ad?
In reply to Steve Carter, Feb 12, 2009

There's a 48 page booklet about the G1 that I picked up in a camera store here in Moscow and towards the end of the booklet is a picture of the G1 with about 20 different lenes, everything from ultra wide to super zoom, I assume these are the lenes Panasonic plans on making for the G1. I just counted the lens shown and there are 22, but on the extras page it lists 2008- 14-45mm, 45-200mm, 2009- 7-14mm, it also lists 20mm. and 14-140mm if I read it right, but when I can not tell whether it is now or in 2009.
JD

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ehrik
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,014
Like?
Macro
In reply to craig w garland, Feb 12, 2009

When asked during Photokina if they were planning any other lenses, the representative said they would like to make a macro, so it looks like a macro might not be too far away (2009-2010).

I agree the two lenses to the left could be the 7-14 and 20/1.7. The rightmost two look kind of heavy, so maybe there will be a stronger body with a bigger grip later on. Or the lenses are only illustrative and not indicative to what's being planned now.

Anyway, thanks for posting, it was interesting.

Just my two oere
Erik from Sweden

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
psurfer
Contributing MemberPosts: 672
Like?
Re: Have you all seen this ad?
In reply to GAREB, Feb 13, 2009

Please Pana, bring out a high-speed macro (w/ OIS, pretty please) soon!

And GAREB, if you can, please go back and photograph that page w/the 20+ lenses, and post!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael J Davis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,427Gear list
Like?
Re: Have you all seen this ad?
In reply to GAREB, Feb 13, 2009

GAREB wrote:

There's a 48 page booklet about the G1 that I picked up in a camera
store here in Moscow and towards the end of the booklet is a picture
of the G1 with about 20 different lenes, everything from ultra wide
to super zoom, I assume these are the lenes Panasonic plans on making
for the G1. I just counted the lens shown and there are 22, but on
the extras page it lists 2008- 14-45mm, 45-200mm, 2009- 7-14mm, it
also lists 20mm. and 14-140mm if I read it right, but when I can not
tell whether it is now or in 2009.

The booklet, also in English in the UK, shows lots of lenses, many of which are Olys. and I think I can make out a Sigma name on another. The point is that lots of lenses are available:-
"Your imagination is unlimited. So is your choice of lenses."

Mike
--
Mike Davis
http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

 Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GAREB
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,662
Like?
Re: Have you all seen this ad?
In reply to Michael J Davis, Feb 13, 2009

Yes, that's the exact same booklet as here in Moscow.
JD

Michael J Davis wrote:

GAREB wrote:

There's a 48 page booklet about the G1 that I picked up in a camera
store here in Moscow and towards the end of the booklet is a picture
of the G1 with about 20 different lenes, everything from ultra wide
to super zoom, I assume these are the lenes Panasonic plans on making
for the G1. I just counted the lens shown and there are 22, but on
the extras page it lists 2008- 14-45mm, 45-200mm, 2009- 7-14mm, it
also lists 20mm. and 14-140mm if I read it right, but when I can not
tell whether it is now or in 2009.

The booklet, also in English in the UK, shows lots of lenses, many of
which are Olys. and I think I can make out a Sigma name on another.
The point is that lots of lenses are available:-
"Your imagination is unlimited. So is your choice of lenses."

Mike
--
Mike Davis
http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads