5d2 video workflow for Pinnacle Studio 12

Started Dec 24, 2008 | Discussions
Mascot
Regular MemberPosts: 378
Like?
5d2 video workflow for Pinnacle Studio 12
Dec 24, 2008

I finally figured out how to make Studio happy without re-encoding the video to some other format. It's going on 1am and with xmas celebrations all day tomorrow I'm a bit short on time, so here's the very quick run-down. If there's any interest/need I'll be happy to do a more complete step-by-step, but it might not happen until the 25th (24th is the big day around these parts).

The problem: Studio 12 (with latest patch) theoretically reads the video, but is not at all happy with the audio and refuses to accept the file.

Solution:

1. Use Streamclip to extract and convert the audio to AAC format (you'll get an m4a file).

2. Use YAMB (frontend for MP4Box, so have to download both) to extract the video portion from the .mov (this will give an h264 file)

3. Use YAMB to create a new file from the m4a and h264 file. You'll need to specify 30 fps in properties for the video, but that's about it.

The time consumption is very modest since you're not actually touching the video, just changing container.

End result is a .mp4 file with the original unchanged video data, but a compatible AAC soundtrack. Studio 12 will happily import it and automatically create a preview render to make the timeline nice and snappy to work with (this does take some time, depending on your computer, the progress is shown in the timeline itself after you add the clip).

How this will react to a bunch of files, I have no idea. It could crash and burn. I've had no time to do any testing beyond making a few trims of the same clip and a transition.

Mascot
Like?
I should add
In reply to Mascot, Dec 24, 2008

Apart from Studio, those are all free applications.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GetThePicture
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
Re: If you get time Let us know details.

Looks like Pinnacle Studio Ultimate Version 12 is about $125.00.
Could you provide safe links to download the other required software?
A detailed step by step would be great on the file processing.

I have used an older studio version to edit camcorder video and used the timeline. I liked studio then, it seemed intuitive.

So if I could figure out by your instructions how to get it(5d II video) to studio thats great.
I was looking at more than $400 for premier.

When you get around to it... It will be a week before I need to edit the video.

Thanks for giving me hope, I was going to give up on 5d II video for a few months.

Thanks Rob

-- hide signature --

Anyone who doesn't Like my 5d II is just jealous.

guitarist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,725
Like?
Re: 5d2 video workflow for Pinnacle Studio 12

thanks for this helpful info

and thanks again
if/when you have time to give a few steps for us all

Have a warm and wonderful Christmas

TOM

Icypeak
Senior MemberPosts: 2,411
Like?
Re: 5d2 video workflow for Pinnacle Studio 12

Looking forward to your findings, I've used Studio before, and while it wasn't often very stable, I liked the interface and features for the price.
--
David
http://www.davidfantle.com

BrianDC
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Re: If you get time Let us know details.
In reply to GetThePicture, Dec 24, 2008

Thank you for the tip. I didn't even realize it was the audio that was causing the problem in Studio 12!

I'll be trying this out shortly to see how it works.

I also think that you only need Studio 12 Plus, not Ultimate if I am reading the version comparison correctly.

joan van nispen tot sevenaer
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
Re: I should add

First of all, tnx so much, really very helpful!
2nd. I love that 5dm2:-) (coming from a 5d)

Third. I am leaving 30th of december for 2 months to Costa Rica. I soo much would love to know how to get the movie thing right. I have lot's of experience with editing with pinnacle so that shouldn't be a problem.

However. I immediately followed your tips and super it works! Well, allmost. Somehow, I can not tell Yamb toset it to 30 frames, ite option field for setting the frame rate somehow stays gray.

Also when i view the mov files on my pc, the movies 'stutter'. Far more so than I see with the example movies. It's not my pc which is new and very fast. I think i have the right setting for the movies but am not sure.

Anyone having a suggestion? I would highly appreciate it.

Have to say, apart from stuttering, quality is indeed amazing...

Last sorry for (I assume) poor grammer, I am not a native speaker and have no spelling checker:-)

BrianDC
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Re: I should add
In reply to joan van nispen tot sevenaer, Dec 24, 2008

joan van nispen tot sevenaer wrote:

However. I immediately followed your tips and super it works! Well,
allmost. Somehow, I can not tell Yamb toset it to 30 frames, ite
option field for setting the frame rate somehow stays gray.

When you use YAMB to "Join" the files, select the .h264 file and select properties. Enter the value of "30" in the field for Frame Rate

Also when i view the mov files on my pc, the movies 'stutter'. Far
more so than I see with the example movies. It's not my pc which is
new and very fast. I think i have the right setting for the movies
but am not sure.

Anyone having a suggestion? I would highly appreciate it.

Have to say, apart from stuttering, quality is indeed amazing...

Do you get stuttering in the original MOV file on your computer, if so then you will get it in the new .mp4 file you create as the only thing you are changing is the format of the audio.

This process is to allow you to import to Pinnacle Studio 12 to edit, not to fix playback issues with the h.264 codec.

This method allows me to import my 5DII videos into Pinnacle and edit them.

Thanks for a workaround for the time being. We'll see how pinnacle reacts as we increase the imported clips (only have a few to work with at the moment, but that will change "soon")

Like?
tnx Brian..
In reply to BrianDC, Dec 24, 2008

for quick response. I did exactly what you are describing, but somehow I can not change the frame rate to anything. So it looks there might be something wrong with the movf files to begin with

I doublechecked if I maybe had set a 'wrong'movie mode in the camera and believe everything is set the way it is supposed to be. Pal, 1920x1080.
Quicktime version 7.5 (851).

I can not imagine (although i usually have a surplus of imagination) that there is something wrong with the camera.

Just thinking out loud here not expecting a solution :-((

Well anyway thanks again and good luck!

Dicky C
Regular MemberPosts: 112Gear list
Like?
No Audio Problem for me in Studio 12

Mascot wrote:

The problem: Studio 12 (with latest patch) theoretically reads the
video, but is not at all happy with the audio and refuses to accept
the file.

I'm able to import the file to my timeline with audio. Maybe I've downloaded some codecs that you don't have? I'm not really sure.

Unfortunately the FPS is so bad it's not really worth it to edit the file natively.

So far I've found that using cineform as an intermediate codec to be the best solution for windows. Unfortunately my demo expired and I don't have that kind of cash to purchase it. I'm still continuing to look for an affordable workflow.

Dicky C's gear list:Dicky C's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +4 more
Like?
Re: tnx Brian..
In reply to joan van nispen tot sevenaer, Dec 24, 2008

meanwhile back at the ranch....it works! I had a problem with my videocard. Again tnx for the supertip, you made me a very happy happy geezer!

Mascot
Like?
No idea why, but we are all envious
In reply to Dicky C, Dec 25, 2008

I'm able to import the file to my timeline with audio. Maybe I've
downloaded some codecs that you don't have? I'm not really sure.

I have no idea. I've seen one other say they don't have an issue importing the full 1080p files from the camera to Studio 12. That makes you a member of a very select group it seems (even more so if that was you over in that other forum). Unfortunately for the rest of us.

The audio codec is PCM with an Apple twist to it, apparently, called sowt. I've got Quicktime and ffdshow installed so theoretically should be well covered.

Unfortunately the FPS is so bad it's not really worth it to edit the
file natively.

That shouldn't be an issue. Studio 12 renders preview quality video in the background to make working with the time line nice and smooth. The time line above the clip turns green while it's working, once it's back to orange scrubbing and previewing should be smooth as silk. I think this is the default behaviour, but it could be I turned it on in some setting and forgot I did.

Mascot
Like?
Step-by-step
In reply to Mascot, Dec 25, 2008

Hope the links work. I'll link to the download area instead of directly to the files in case the forum doesn't like direct links to zips and similar. If you don't have Quicktime installed you should do that as well.

Download Streamclip from here: http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-win.html

Download YAMB from here: http://yamb.unite-video.com/download.html (I just picked the topmost download option, which is a zip, there is no need to use the installer unless you for some reason prefer it)

Download MP4Box from here: http://kurtnoise.free.fr/mp4tools/ (the file called MP4Box-0.4.5.zip)

You can unzip these wherever you please. Personally I have a Streamclip folder and a YAMB folder, and I put the MP4Box in a folder inside YAMB since those two are dependant on eachother.

Now, the first time you start YAMB you'll need to tell it where to find MP4Box. Go to Settings, Advanced Settings and input the path to MP4Box.exe on the Location line (click the browse icon on the righthand side and just navigate to it).

Streamclip:

File - Open Files - Select the .mov that came out of the camera.

File - Export Audio. Change Format to MP4 AAC and click Ok to select where to store the file.

Yamb:

Editing - Click to extract streams from AVI/MP4/MOV/TS files - Select the file that came out of the camera - Click the line where the Description starts with H.264 then click Next. Yamb will now have created a file ending with .h264 in the same folder as your original out-of-camera file.

Go back to the main menu in Yamb (or restart it).

Creation - Click to create an MP4 file with multiple...... - Click Add and select the .h264 file created in the previous step - Click Add again and select the audio (.m4a) file you extracted in Streamclip.

Now mark the line for the .h264 file and click Properties. In the frame-rate field, input 30 and click Ok.

If you want to change where the output file is placed, do that, then click Next.

Voila. You now have a .mp4 file that Studio 12 accepts.

Now, when you drag that file down onto the time line, the scale area on top of the time line should turn green for the width of that clip, indicating it's rendering a preview quality file for you to work with. If it doesn't, there's some option somewhere that needs to be enabled. You'll really want to find it, cause working without that snappy preview file is a chore. I'm not sure what option might be missing, but my best guess is Setup - Video and Audio preferences - Enable background rendering (Set codec automatically).

I should point out I am in no way saying this is the ideal way to process these files. But it is a way. So far it's the most convenient (the steps above go real fast once you've done it once or twice) and affordable one I've found where I get the speed of the draft quality preview to work with, as well as the output being generated directly from the original file instead of needing to go through an extra round of video encoding.

capt3450
Regular MemberPosts: 141
Like?
Re: Step-by-step
In reply to Mascot, Dec 26, 2008

Thanks for the tips Mascot. It worked very well for Pinnacle Studio.
-capt3450

Dicky C
Regular MemberPosts: 112Gear list
Like?
Re: No idea why, but we are all envious

Mascot wrote:

Unfortunately the FPS is so bad it's not really worth it to edit the
file natively.

That shouldn't be an issue. Studio 12 renders preview quality video
in the background to make working with the time line nice and smooth.
The time line above the clip turns green while it's working, once
it's back to orange scrubbing and previewing should be smooth as
silk. I think this is the default behaviour, but it could be I turned
it on in some setting and forgot I did.

Wow, I didnt know it did a background render. I'll have to give it another try! Thanks.

Dicky C's gear list:Dicky C's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +4 more
R.D.
Regular MemberPosts: 197
Like?
Thanks for taking time to put this together .n.t.
-- hide signature --

-R.D.

t3sk3y
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
In reply to Mascot, Dec 30, 2008

Thanks a lot! This worked perfectly for me. On a 40 second clip, it took under a minute to pre-process the video (including both steps).

It was perfectly snappy on my WinXP machine - editing was just as smooth as normal D1 video on Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultimate. Rendering wasn't bad either - it seemed to be about .33x on my E8400-based machine (dual core 3Ghz, 2G PC-8400 RAM)

I'm sure other programs will catch up - but this is a really good way of editing video from the 5D Mk II.

-Mark.
t3imagery.com
twitter.com/markteskey

jhmackay
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?
In reply to t3sk3y, Jan 1, 2009

I used StreamClip and Pinnacle a couple of weeks ago to make my first 5dm2 movie. After bringing the .mov into StramClip, I trimmed the start and finish (to reduce processing time and file size), then converted the entire file into an .avi format. Worked great, and edited/replayed without the noted hesitations.

Ken C. Smith
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602
Like?
Thanks for the information (nt)
In reply to Mascot, Jan 1, 2009
n/t
Per Zangenberg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,244
Like?
In reply to Mascot, Mar 11, 2009

Is it just me or does the video get a lot darker when convertet?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads