New High Res FF Soon

Started Nov 6, 2008 | Discussions
miancu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,530
Like?
New High Res FF Soon
Nov 6, 2008

Hi.

A good news maybe (to some), bad news to others: Nikon will introduce soon a high res FF. Today I had a chat with a friend of mine that owns the biggest local photo retailer and he told me that this rumor is mainly due to the fact that all photo retailers here cannot place orders for D3 anymore. D3 was not the distribution lists received from local distributor by all local retailers for orders.

One of the reasons may be introduction of a new high res FF, decrease of production due to the deflation etc. He told me that the new FF may be just around the corner, to be announced soon.

He's quite a reliable guy and I trust his words because his business relies mainly on Nikon and Canon sales.

cheers

miancu

Auke B van der Weide
Contributing MemberPosts: 503
Like?
Re: New High Res FF Soon
In reply to miancu, Nov 6, 2008

So no D3 distribution no more? What about the sportshooters who want 9fs or 11fps?

Will the new highresFF offer these high speeds as well? If so then that is good news, if not than there is still a reason to keep selling D3's...
--
AB
http://www.photo.net/photos/Auke%20Bonne%20van%20der%20Weide

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
miancu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,530
Like?
In reply to Auke B van der Weide, Nov 6, 2008

I really didn't understand that too and I asked him twice just to be sure.

The discussion started from a 24-70 that he lent me for some testing. He is a fine guy and from time to time he gives me various equipments to test and try.

I was contemplating going FF and I was just curious about this 24-70. To my surprise I waited almost a month until he got a refresh in his stock. My friend told me that he received a quarter of the quantity he ordered from the Nikon distributor and this is mainly to decreased production from Nikon in order - probably - to avoid stockpiling of gear in the current unsure financial situation. However, this was the moment he told me that he, and other resellers, were not able to order D3 anymore as it was absent from the list they got from the distributor.

I was amazed and it seems quite strange, because D3 is a very successful camera with great sales. So let's wait and see. Maybe there are some other reasons, but one thing is for sure: for the moment, local resellers will not receive any D3's.

cheers

miancu

Auke B van der Weide wrote:

So no D3 distribution no more? What about the sportshooters who want
9fs or 11fps?
Will the new highresFF offer these high speeds as well? If so then
that is good news, if not than there is still a reason to keep
selling D3's...
--
AB
http://www.photo.net/photos/Auke%20Bonne%20van%20der%20Weide

thomas2279
Forum ProPosts: 10,876
Like?
In reply to miancu, Nov 6, 2008

yep a full high res d3x will come and the Nikon manufacturer line will concentrae getting numbers up for the new body sacrificing the current line/models D3 & D700 for a short period.

Hope the noise will be similar to the D300, D3 body and features, offer several crop and Raw sizes, e.g., Sraw and some new leneses 2 boot + Full Hd Video (as D90 was first camera with Video). Still can't understand why Nikon did not put Video in the D700 and Canon with the 50d...

Also I hope there is a decent kit lens bundle with the camera; unlike the D700 and the old 24-120 Afs Vr Lens.
--

My Pictures & Web Site: http://www.dltp.co.uk

Jim Keye
Senior MemberPosts: 1,550
Like?
h & x
In reply to miancu, Nov 7, 2008

One of the oft-postulated theories is that the D3 was like the D1 in that it will morph into a D3h and D3x. We've already seen a hint of the D3h--a larger buffer that's currently available as purchasable upgrade.

Other changes could include a movie mode, maybe a tweak to the AF, maybe a 1 or 2 fps faster, etc.

(Personally I don't see a 1-camera pro solution, so if this D3-is-no-more is in fact true, I think it simply means that it's being updated/refreshed, not done away as a spot in the line-up.)

Powercube
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Re: h & x
In reply to Jim Keye, Nov 7, 2008

I hate fanning the flames of rumor mongers, but this might just explain why the D3 I ordered last week is still listed as "on order order". Apparently, despite listing it as "in stock" on their website, the Camera store in Calgary was down to their demo model and they claim they will ship me one as soon as they can get one. This happened more than a week ago. I shall fire off an email to them forth with and report my findings back to you. Either way, I need the high ISO capabilities and speed, so I hope if there's some new hotness neither of those are diminished. Lovely forums you've got here,

-cube

Mel
Mel
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,716
Like?
Most likely . .
In reply to Powercube, Nov 7, 2008

Nikon isn't about to eliminate the D3.

Most likely, if anything is in the works as far as holding back inventory of the current D3, it is an "upgrade" to an "S" model, with perhpas features already mentioned or simply an inclusion of the buffer upgrade for any future models shipped.
---
Mel
http://www.mellockhartphotography.zenfolio.com
http://www.mellockhart.com

Powercube
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Re: Most likely . .
In reply to Mel, Nov 7, 2008
-- hide signature --

I would be more than okay with the results of such a situation.

David28
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?
Is it not just as likely .....
In reply to Powercube, Nov 7, 2008

that we are all attributing reasons for why the D3 is running a little behind in shipment, and that is to take nothing away from the OP.

Nikon is after all a very successful business in its own right, never mind relative to any of its competitors. My experience is that Nikon, and I am sure the other brands aren't all that different, has throughout the years run its business to make money irrespective of what its customers are saying. Delays, missed deadlines, a run down on inventory are all a part of running a business, misreading demand along the way. Nothing new here and not unique to them.

So I say, is it not possible that we are just speculating and ascribing reasons to the current situation. After all, how many "reliable sources" have been quoted in here in prior threads! As a business, I would have thought that Nikon would sell as many units of the D3 (and any other product) as possible irrespective of and totally independent of its upcoming product line. Just good business sense I would have thought.

My 2 cents worth.

David

Mel
Mel
Like?
Re: Is it not just as likely .....
In reply to David28, Nov 7, 2008

Absolutely possible as you describe.

But since the demand of the D3 has been so great, it is also certainly possible that inventory was diminished to a point where if they "were" introducing an upgraded version, production of that "older version" model would not be continued.
--
Mel

Bruce Allen Hendricks
Contributing MemberPosts: 820
Like?
Re: Is it not just as likely .....
In reply to David28, Nov 7, 2008

The D3 has been such an amazing product for Nikon that I can not seee it being taken out of the lineup this fast. Maybe it's the "S" senarior that others have mentioned - but I can not see it being replaced this quickly. Nikon has said it will not do the H and X thing again, but it didn't say anything about not tweaking their cameras and adding the "S" designation.

Bruce Allen Hendricks MPA, F.Ph.
http://www.impactphotographicdesign.com

jb_va2001
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,741
Like?
How could this be "bad news to others"?

Why would anyone think it's bad news if Nikon releases a high res DSLR? Even if they don't want to buy one, someone else might need or want it.

Cheers,
JB

miancu wrote:

Hi.

A good news maybe (to some), bad news to others: Nikon will introduce
soon a high res FF. Today I had a chat with a friend of mine that
owns the biggest local photo retailer and he told me that this rumor
is mainly due to the fact that all photo retailers here cannot place
orders for D3 anymore. D3 was not the distribution lists received
from local distributor by all local retailers for orders.

One of the reasons may be introduction of a new high res FF, decrease
of production due to the deflation etc. He told me that the new FF
may be just around the corner, to be announced soon.

He's quite a reliable guy and I trust his words because his business
relies mainly on Nikon and Canon sales.

cheers

miancu

Mel
Mel
Like?
Re: How could this be "bad news to others"?
In reply to jb_va2001, Nov 7, 2008

Not bad news at all.

Perhaps bad speculation to think that they would eliminate the D3.The D3 serves one group and the high res model will serve another.

Osku
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,985Gear list
Like?
Mightl be "s" and "x" versions coming

I do not feel that Nikon would replace D3 this soon with anything else but with an updated version, D3s. They have longer product cycles with D-single-digit models and the "s" versions have been often introduced a year after the release.

Is there a need for a D3s? D3 would have sold just fine, yes, but I feel there is this rumored D3x coming too (or D700x or both) and if there has been some upgrade (like buffer size) in hardware it is easier to update the D3 than order/store/assemble two separate sets of parts (to be assembled in a single factory).

So alternatives are:
1) D3 updated to D3s, no other releases (unlikely)
2) D3 updated to D3s, D3x announced
3) D3 updated to D3s, D700x (or D800, whatever) announced
4) D3 updated to D3s, D3x announced; D700x announced in 3-6 months

The rumored MF model might be announced later this year too, or in January, or be hoax... (IMHO it seems it will be announced in 1-3 months from now).

What do I expect to see in the D700x/D3x? A Nikon design with 20-30 Mpxl of resolution, seamless microlenses, 14 bit A/D conversion, 5 fps or less, hopefully a 100% VF (as should a D700s have in the future).

-- hide signature --

Osku

Osku's gear list:Osku's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +4 more
Mel
Mel
Like?
Re: Mightl be "s" and "x" versions coming
In reply to Osku, Nov 7, 2008

Two models coming is what I have said all along. It just makes sense (to me).

I believe the "S" upgrade that will take place to the D3 and D700 will be unrelated and basically "normal house keeping" with those models. I think that if we were going to see any video added, it will be in the all new high res model. Main version designated as a D4 (Nikon did say no more H or X), or the speculated D800X. But hey, this is all speculation so as has already been said. Maybe the "S" upgrade will be more than just buffer and also include video capability.

So then a 20+ MP high res model and a completely new ground breaker in a MX or mid format model. MX1 (?)
--
Mel

Osku
Like?
Re: Might be "s" and "x" versions coming

Mel wrote:

I believe the "S" upgrade that will take place to the D3 and D700
will be unrelated and basically "normal house keeping" with those
models. I think that if we were going to see any video added, it will
be in the all new high res model. Main version designated as a D4
(Nikon did say no more H or X), or the speculated D800X. But hey,
this is all speculation so as has already been said. Maybe the "S"
upgrade will be more than just buffer and also include video
capability.

Unlikely that the body would have such a leap that it would be called D4 already. Nikon said "no X or H" at a day when D3 was released 15 months ago. Back then they needed to convince that there is no D3x model to be announced in 3-6 months but "this is it" for all users. And that has been true. But I read this more as a marketing statement than "no X or H never ever again" since that would make no sense to me. Nikon makes sense, they will use the X again if need be. So my assumption is still that the D3 will see a D3s upgrade (that would then be sold for 30 months) and a X-model, D3x (that will possibly see a D3xs in 12-15 months from the coming original D3x announcement day).

OTOH, some Nikon seniors have been reported saying in some event (to many pros) in Europe that would they be happy if the high resolution model would have same resolution in crop mode than the DX models have now? And that is 28 MP, not 24 MP. That would make the D3x a lower ISO model (would be good for me;-), and separate it properly from the D3s. But this 28 MP might be also wrong prediction and what ever they throw at us is probably a fine high resolution model for f-mount.

So then a 20+ MP high res model and a completely new ground breaker
in a MX or mid format model. MX1 (?)

That MF model will make it interesting, who will switch?

-- hide signature --

Osku

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +4 more
camera lucida
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
Re: Might be "s" and "x" versions coming
In reply to Osku, Nov 7, 2008

https://www2.nikon.de/bilddatenbank.php?hauptordner=digital_slr

look at the empty folder «D3_2» !!!! ????

motopram
Contributing MemberPosts: 616
Like?

Could also be because the D700 is taking away sales from the D3.
--
http://www.pbase.com/motopram

Diddlbiker
Contributing MemberPosts: 608
Like?
Re: Mightl be "s" and "x" versions coming

Mel wrote:

(...) Nikon did say no more H or X (...)

This is true... but Nikon once also said no full frame. "Changing market conditions" might mean that they now thing there is again a market for H/X/S models.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Bart

Osku
Like?
interesting
In reply to camera lucida, Nov 7, 2008

camera lucida wrote:

https://www2.nikon.de/bilddatenbank.php?hauptordner=digital_slr

look at the empty folder «D3_2» !!!! ????

Something is cooking up, but I doubt that they would use naming with D3-II like
numbers since that would be naming like the competition does.

-- hide signature --

Osku

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads