Deposits Down on D4?

Started Nov 4, 2008 | Discussions
frozenlight
Contributing MemberPosts: 583
Like?
Deposits Down on D4?
Nov 4, 2008

Hi, my local camera store (in Texas) has started to take deposits on the "D4" at $500 down. They do not have a firm RRP yet (their guss is $6000... sounds aggressively optimistic to me). Anyhoo... they were spot on the money for the D300/D3/D700 and did not start taking money until they had some clue about arrival. When pressed... they said "could be by the holidays"... again... sounds early to me. Has anyone else got into line with money down yet?
--
Sensorly yours...

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,694Gear list
Like?
Re: Deposits Down on D4?
In reply to frozenlight, Nov 4, 2008

Money down on an unknown camera, with unknown features, at an unknown price? Sure. My check is in the mail. To answer your question, no.
--
Steve Bingham
http://www.dustylens.com
http://www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D5300 Nikon D610 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rodrisco
Regular MemberPosts: 388
Like?
In reply to Steve Bingham, Nov 4, 2008

Ha, I just put down a deposit down for a D11. Suckers.

Antioch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,836
Like?
Re: Deposits Down on D4? Ego or Addiction ?
In reply to rodrisco, Nov 4, 2008

I guess some of us either have a big ego to have the latest and greatest, sight unseen and performance unknown.

Either that or we are addicted !

Hugoneus
Contributing MemberPosts: 854
Like?
This is a perfect example...

To show that some people actually dont care at all about photography and only care about the gear. To put money down, for something unknown in the feauture is a new low.

owenleve
Senior MemberPosts: 2,582
Like?
Re: This is a perfect example...
In reply to Hugoneus, Nov 4, 2008

With Nikons track record, I'd feel okay putting $500.00 down on their new product, if I thought the new product was going to be released soon... Sounds like a great way for a store to earn interest on your money until X date..

-- hide signature --

court@courtlevephoto.com
http://www.courtlevephoto.com

ZoetMB
Contributing MemberPosts: 868
Like?
And if they go under?

Sure..give them $500 for a camera that hasn't been announced and for which you have absolutely no idea what it has or what it does.

And what happens if, in this recession, they happen to go out of business? Good luck getting your money back.

And for what? So you can be first on the list to get Nikon's next offering? Believe me, at $6K, they'll be plenty available. So maybe you'll have to wait until the 2nd or 3rd day to get yours.

frozenlight
Contributing MemberPosts: 583
Like?
Forgot to mention...

All good points. Have not put any money down on this myself (although I did make early deposits for the D300 and D700). In current environment I'd be a little cautious and I think estimates of delivery date and RRP are a bit aggressive. As for specs... well I think if it is as least as good as a D3 with higher mpix (20MP+) and noise relatively under control up to at least 1600 ISO I think it will be a winner. Target no doubt studio photographers. No video required!
--
Sensorly yours...

michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,889Gear list
Like?
Sheer lunacy

D4??? Huh? What's a D4?

No one in their sane mind would plunk down $500 on a camera that they don't even know what it is. You're basically saying "I don't care what it is. It's a Nikon so I'm buying it." People that do that are morons. As someone above said, these types are gear heads. So in some sense, let 'em plunk down $500.

When the camera is announced and other stores start taking pre-orders you can put your name on a list for free. Why would you pony up $500 so the store can start earning interest?
--
Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D800E Nikon D4 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +17 more
Nick Wong
Contributing MemberPosts: 544Gear list
Like?
Not a bad idea...

If you've prepared for an upgrade, this is not a bad idea as long as the store won't close down before D4 is out.

Hoping we would get some good news of the new camera from you.

frozenlight wrote:

Hi, my local camera store (in Texas) has started to take deposits on
the "D4" at $500 down. They do not have a firm RRP yet (their guss is
$6000... sounds aggressively optimistic to me). Anyhoo... they were
spot on the money for the D300/D3/D700 and did not start taking money
until they had some clue about arrival. When pressed... they said
"could be by the holidays"... again... sounds early to me. Has
anyone else got into line with money down yet?
--
Sensorly yours...

-- hide signature --

Nick Wong

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
d#, d@)), d&), !^, @$-&), %), %, #))

http://photos.nickwong.net

jb_va2001
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,741
Like?
Look for a store that doesn't demand a deposit. /nt

frozenlight wrote:

Hi, my local camera store (in Texas) has started to take deposits on
the "D4" at $500 down. They do not have a firm RRP yet (their guss is
$6000... sounds aggressively optimistic to me). Anyhoo... they were
spot on the money for the D300/D3/D700 and did not start taking money
until they had some clue about arrival. When pressed... they said
"could be by the holidays"... again... sounds early to me. Has
anyone else got into line with money down yet?
--
Sensorly yours...

Bruce Allen Hendricks
Contributing MemberPosts: 820
Like?
Settle down folks....
In reply to michaeladawson, Nov 4, 2008

If you trust the camera store I don't think it's that bad an idea. All the stores I was aware of started taking deposits for the D3/D300 and D700 to get you "offically" on the list. My last 4 cameras were ordered on the first day Nikon oiffically announced the model - D200, D3 & D300 (orderd together) and D700 (sold the D300 when I new my D700 was coming in). Each time i put down $500 except for the D3 when I put down $1000.

Now, i knew I could easily "pass" on the camera when they told me mine was in if I didn't like what was being said about the cameras on the net for instance. No, I was not going to get cash back, but sine i have an account with the store and I deal exclusively there, I knew I would use that credit up anyway at some point in the near future.

Yes, each time I did it the camera was already offically announced - I did not put my money down on spec (even if it was 5 hours after the offical announcement, I knew what the camer was). Yes I always want to be in the first shipment of getting a new camera for several reasons.... (partly because I don't want to wait) but also because I know I can still get a decent return on a prevous camera that I was upgrading from on the used market. If I wait until 4-6 months after the new camera has started to be shipped my used body goes way down in value. I have flipped several cameras that way - on occassion actually selling my current main body hoping that Nikon will not be late on their ETA.

There is speculation that that the next announcement coming in February from Nikon may be a new format. That would be interresting, but I'm not sure I can afford the switch or the second lens line...at the moment.

I don't see the major advanatage of pe-ordering on total vaporware without at least some solid/consistent net rumours to go on. The thing is very very few people will put money down the way the OP is talking about doing, so it really doesn't matter. I could call up tthe same store the first day the new camera is announced and put my deposit down and be 99% sure we'll get our cameras in the same shipment. So I don't see the advantage.

Now if you said that because you have a good relationship with the store all they have to do is call you when it is announced to say "is it a go to put the depost on your account or not?" because they know you are a good customer and want to be in the first shipment, that would make more sense to me.

The bottom line is if you feel comfortable with the store to do this and you know what you want a D4 to be (say a D3 body with 20+ MP compaired to a new Nikon format called MX) I don't see it to be that bad of an idea. However as I said earleir I think you can call up on the announcement day and achieve the same shipment ETA.

Bruce Allen Hendricks MPA, F.Ph.
http://www.impactphotographicdesign.com

Greg Henry
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,841
Like?
Store closings..
In reply to Nick Wong, Nov 4, 2008

Nick Wong wrote:

If you've prepared for an upgrade, this is not a bad idea as long as
the store won't close down before D4 is out.

And a very valid point.

Who would have expected that Circuit City would announce closing 155 stores today? And that they'll close EVERY store they have here in Atlanta? We're in economic times that are rougher than some folks realize. I don't consider ANY store safe right now.

Yamil R. Sued
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,526
Like?
Re: Deposits Down on D4? Ego or Addiction ?
In reply to Antioch, Nov 4, 2008

Neither...

STUPIDITY!!!

Y

Antioch wrote:

I guess some of us either have a big ego to have the latest and
greatest, sight unseen and performance unknown.

Either that or we are addicted !

alijan
Contributing MemberPosts: 665
Like?
Re: Sheer lunacy
In reply to michaeladawson, Nov 4, 2008

I suppose one has to admire the initiative of the Store. A nice way for the Store to earn a bit of money in interest. I bet the Store management are also thinking 'idiots' but they're not going to push money away are they

leping
Regular MemberPosts: 429
Like?

Started to circulate that Nikon will announce the high-MP camera on 11/20:

http://nikonrumors.com/
--
LEPING ZHA
4x5 film / 6x7 film / Canon 5D-IR / Nikon D700 & D300
http://www.lepingzha.com

markmark
Senior MemberPosts: 1,646
Like?
if i give you my P. O. number...

will you send me $500 deposit???

OldMaster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,813
Like?
Re: This is a perfect example...
In reply to owenleve, Nov 4, 2008

I was trying to think of something sensible to say but could only come up with Sad, sad, sad!!!!

Are you a photographer or just a gear collector who has too much money that you would like you local store just to hang on to it for you and gather the interest on an unknown model with an unknown performance...

You don't even know if this mysterious new model even exists..or if it will suit your needs...

But it would appear that your needs are irrelevant compared to being the "first" to show off a new bit of kit..should there be one!

I'll bet you were in the queue for the i-phone too!!!

A crazy capitalist world based on want, not need...we are already seeing the impact of that around the world..and now you want a shop to be your bank that pays itself interest!!!!

lee sandstead
Senior MemberPosts: 1,783
Like?

And I guess if you do not like the camera, you can get your deposit back? Sounds like a good plan to me, as Nikon usually has problems with releases.

Lee

-- hide signature --

My new art show on Travel Channel premiers November 30 at 9:00 am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUTIfDM49z4

Micro32
Senior MemberPosts: 1,193
Like?
The 18-month Rule Applies! was (Re: Settle down folks....)
In reply to Bruce Allen Hendricks, Nov 4, 2008

Bruce Allen Hendricks wrote:

Yes, each time I did it the camera was already offically announced -
I did not put my money down on spec (even if it was 5 hours after the
offical announcement, I knew what the camer was). Yes I always want
to be in the first shipment of getting a new camera for several
reasons.... (partly because I don't want to wait) but also because I
know I can still get a decent return on a prevous camera that I was
upgrading from on the used market. If I wait until 4-6 months after
the new camera has started to be shipped my used body goes way down
in value. I have flipped several cameras that way - on occassion
actually selling my current main body hoping that Nikon will not be
late on their ETA.

I snipped a lot of good points for brevity. I agree with this gentleman as he is probably one of the few people on the forum that has grasped the concept that the dSLR body is a throwaway item.

In this throwaway society with camera manufacturers introducing new models on a 12-18 month cycle it is totally and utterly foolish while breaking every terrestrial and celestial boundary of stupidity holding onto a dSLR body past its 18-month "Use-By" date. Some will say "My camera still works after 18-months" and will continue to use it. They won't realize the futility in that venture into stupidity when the try to sell the body on the used market and find out it is now a worthless paperweight that nobody wants to pay a decent price for.

The bottom line is the next model is a Nikon and you know it will be good, so buy it and get that previous dSLR into the used market. Smart money goes to buying good quality Nikkors as they always appreciate in value.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads