Bower slide copier - duplicator

Started Oct 10, 2008 | Discussions
ccarrier
Contributing MemberPosts: 813Gear list
Like?
Bower slide copier - duplicator
Oct 10, 2008

Hi,

has anyone used the Bower Slide copier - duplicator to copy slides to digital files?

(here is a link : http://cgi.ebay.ca/Slide-Copier-for-Nikon-D700-D300-D200-D100-D90-D80-D60_W0QQitemZ360090754088QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item360090754088&_trkparms=72%3A792%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I know it won't give the same quality as a dedicated slide scanner, but it is much more faster.

If you have used it, can you post some examples of your results? Some people said that the corners are very soft. I would like to see for myself.

Thank you!

-- hide signature --

Claude Carrier

ccarrier's gear list:ccarrier's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 2600 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +5 more
windummy
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Bower slide copier - duplicator
In reply to ccarrier, Oct 28, 2008

I recently purcashed a Bower slide copier attachment for my Canon A75, admittedly an "entry-level" digital camera.

However, I am finding that it is the ideal solution for digitizing my rather extensive slide collection. It is not perfect, since it was not advertised for the A75 (but for the A85 etc.) What I mean is that focal length is not ideal, in that to get the entire 35mm image, I have to include a lot of black border on all sides, However, this slide disadvantage is easily overcome by cropping out the border on any image editing software.

I set my camera to the Program mode, set it on a tripod, and aim it out the window into the daylight. I tried numerous experiments with artificial light sources, and they were all unsatisfactory. Of course, I also set the Program mode for daylight.

While the results might not satisfy a persnickety professional, for this amateur, the results are most satisfactory. In a projector, with the images filling a seven-foot wide screen, the images hold together just fine for my purposes.

Considering the cost, the time involved in copying, the simplicity, and the results, I recommend this kind of slide oopy attachment unreservedly. Hope this helps.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cedarhill
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,638
Like?
In reply to ccarrier, Oct 28, 2008

I have thousands of slides dating back 30 years that I would love to digitize. I bought a cheaper scanner and the results were unsatisfactory. I would also like to hear from others who have used this rather inexpensive solution - or possibly some other similar hardware.

binary_eye
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,290
Like?
In reply to Cedarhill, Oct 28, 2008

Cedarhill wrote:

I would also like to hear from others who have used
this rather inexpensive solution - or possibly some other similar
hardware.

I've successfully used a 50mm lens with an extension tube (36mm, I believe) to photograph slides. I used an SB-600 diffused by white cloth to light the slide from behind, triggering it with the in-camera flash of the D80 in commander mode. I set up a makeshift "slide holder" that didn't change position between switching slides.

If using a tripod, the process is pretty quick once the correct focus distance is set between the camera and slide. It's probably not the best solution, but it is cheap provided you have the necessary equipment.

pfeitosa
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
In reply to ccarrier, Jan 3, 2012

Anyone tried this with a higher pixel count sensor, such as the D7000 (16MP)?
Some say this is great with the Nikkor 40mm f/3.5 Micro.
--
Curitiba-Brasil

WFulton
Senior MemberPosts: 2,607
Like?
In reply to pfeitosa, Jan 3, 2012

Any macro focal length is fine, so long as you can position the slide at the appropriate distance to largely fill the frame with the slide. All you need to do is to mount the slide, light it from the rear (diffused), and aim the macro lens at it.

See http://www.scantips.com/es-1.html about using the Nikon 60mm macro lens with the Nikon ES-1 slide copying attachment. Some extra extension is necessary on a DX camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads