Really sexy photos

Started Oct 6, 2008 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
AnandaSim Forum Pro • Posts: 13,422
Really sexy photos

of the 9-18 - I spotted this at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/olddo/

-- hide signature --
 AnandaSim's gear list:AnandaSim's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-510 +15 more
JonathanJK Regular Member • Posts: 460
Re: Really sexy photos

I'd be all over that lens if it was 3 stops faster and without a moving aperture! Shame it isn't.
--
http://jonathanjk.wordpress.com/

jabberwock Regular Member • Posts: 341
Look good.

-nt

-- hide signature --

CW

mehrdad Regular Member • Posts: 492
Re: Really sexy photos

I'm still waiting for the time that I have enough money buying the 7-14!!! The day that never comes
--

 mehrdad's gear list:mehrdad's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +3 more
ViTAR Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: Really sexy photos

On that photos now I can see clearly, that 9-18 accepts filters.

AnandaSim OP Forum Pro • Posts: 13,422
Re: Really sexy photos

JonathanJK wrote:

I'd be all over that lens if it was 3 stops faster and without a
moving aperture! Shame it isn't.
--
http://jonathanjk.wordpress.com/

Hi Jonathan,

I don't know how much uwa shooting that you do, I've had mine since May. And as I would say, still learning about it.

I find that the 7mm runs out of comfortable DOF at f/8. It's not that the sharpness is poor - the lens is a really sharp lens. But lower than f/8, I haven't shot scenes that I enjoy.

Next thing is the curvature of the front element and the size of the lens. The 9-18 is a much smaller lens. The 7-14 front element is really obvious and it still is only f/4 to go any bigger, the lens and the cost and the weight will be big. The 9-18 is a lot cheaper I think than my 7-14mm - you can't get low price, large aperture, filter in the front, small dimensions as far as I can see.

Look at the competition:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-wide-zooms/comparison.htm
They are all about f/4

Ken's photo:

-- hide signature --
 AnandaSim's gear list:AnandaSim's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-510 +15 more
DonalDuc Regular Member • Posts: 318
some pictures

.. with my 9-18

davidrm Senior Member • Posts: 1,366
well then...

...it would be a completely different lens.

And you'd be whining that it costs too much.
--
Blogs and galleries at http://www.snowhenge.net
E-System photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowhenge/

photo_owl Veteran Member • Posts: 5,455
dof

"I find that the 7mm runs out of comfortable DOF at f/8. It's not that the sharpness is poor - the lens is a really sharp lens. But lower than f/8, I haven't shot scenes that I enjoy."

with a hyperfocal distance of 2.7ft wide open at f4 I find this a somewhat strange observation.

whilst close foreground objects and overall sharpness are often elements in composition with this lens I rarely find myself going over F5.6.

-- hide signature --

  • enjoy your camera equipment -

 photo_owl's gear list:photo_owl's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-400 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus E-M1 +8 more
JonathanJK Regular Member • Posts: 460
Re: well then...

davidrm wrote:

...it would be a completely different lens.

And you'd be whining that it costs too much.
--
Blogs and galleries at http://www.snowhenge.net
E-System photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowhenge/

That may be a different lens, but I wouldn't hesistate in purchasing it if Olympus released that instead. Don't assume too much about me and my ability to whine.

AnandaSim wrote:

JonathanJK wrote:

I'd be all over that lens if it was 3 stops faster and without a
moving aperture! Shame it isn't.
--
http://jonathanjk.wordpress.com/

Hi Jonathan,

I don't know how much uwa shooting that you do, I've had mine since
May. And as I would say, still learning about it.

I find that the 7mm runs out of comfortable DOF at f/8. It's not that
the sharpness is poor - the lens is a really sharp lens. But lower
than f/8, I haven't shot scenes that I enjoy.

Next thing is the curvature of the front element and the size of the
lens. The 9-18 is a much smaller lens. The 7-14 front element is
really obvious and it still is only f/4 to go any bigger, the lens
and the cost and the weight will be big. The 9-18 is a lot cheaper I
think than my 7-14mm - you can't get low price, large aperture,
filter in the front, small dimensions as far as I can see.

Look at the competition:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-wide-zooms/comparison.htm
They are all about f/4

Ken's photo:

-- hide signature --

I'm a practising photojournalist so I while I want the wide angles I also want the high f-stops as well. My mistake is comparing this lens to the Canon 16-35mm f2.8.

At the moment I'm using my 24mm focal length on my 12-60 SWD for those reasons.
--
http://jonathanjk.wordpress.com/

photo_owl Veteran Member • Posts: 5,455
Re: well then...

surely you use the 14-35 at that focal length?

-- hide signature --

  • enjoy your camera equipment -

 photo_owl's gear list:photo_owl's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-400 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus E-M1 +8 more
AnandaSim OP Forum Pro • Posts: 13,422
Re: dof

photo_owl wrote:

with a hyperfocal distance of 2.7ft wide open at f4 I find this a
somewhat strange observation.

whilst close foreground objects and overall sharpness are often
elements in composition with this lens I rarely find myself going
over F5.6.

Always willing to learn from you. I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

I have deleted most of my less successful ones. Here is one - I think at f/4 7mm - I have to find the original. The nearest leaves on the floor are losing crispness.

I think this one too demonstrates it:

-- hide signature --
 AnandaSim's gear list:AnandaSim's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-510 +15 more
AnandaSim OP Forum Pro • Posts: 13,422
Re: some pictures

Thanks for sharing. Always happy to see uwa stuff.
--

Ananda
http://anandasim.blogspot.com/

 AnandaSim's gear list:AnandaSim's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-510 +15 more
AlbertKay Regular Member • Posts: 101
Re: Really sexy photos

Great curves!

JonathanJK Regular Member • Posts: 460
Re: well then...

No I want the wider angles, there is a nice overlap with the 12-60 and I could use the 2 together. Whereas the 14-35 doesn't offer much to me over the 12-60mm, though it would be nice to have, just not important enough to me to buy at the moment.

Or maybe I confused you, I said 24mm meaning 12mm, I was thinking with my full frame head on?
--
http://jonathanjk.wordpress.com/

RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 24,474
This one is 7mm FL at F4.0 aperture

Maximum FL of 7mm, shot handheld indoors at 1/60 sec, with aperture F4.0.
The auto-ISO decided to go for iso 640.

Tweaked contrast a little, but no sharpening in PP.
I am not unhappy with the sharpness under all those circumstances.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
--
member of UK (and abroad) Photo Safari Group
( http://www.ukphotosafari.org/ )

UKPSG presents a Tunisia E-3 user field report: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

AnandaSim OP Forum Pro • Posts: 13,422
Re: This one is 7mm FL at F4.0 aperture

Thanks Roel - it was one of you shots that got me to get the 7-14

This one is good. I can see a little softness at sides but I would be happy with this too.
--

Ananda
http://anandasim.blogspot.com/

 AnandaSim's gear list:AnandaSim's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-510 +15 more
AnandaSim OP Forum Pro • Posts: 13,422
Re: well then...

JonathanJK wrote:

Or maybe I confused you, I said 24mm meaning 12mm, I was thinking
with my full frame head on?

24mm EFL = 12mm optical is not uwa for me. It is conservative bow tie wa.
That is fine at f/2.8

-- hide signature --
 AnandaSim's gear list:AnandaSim's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-510 +15 more
Louis_Dobson
Louis_Dobson Forum Pro • Posts: 27,324
I'm completely baffled

by that.

A fast UWA is pointless, you are almost always struggling for DOF. And I don't understand the point of constant aperure zooms at all - I have three (including the Nikkor 14-24 f2.8, relevantly) and I have a nasty feeling the could be faster if they weren't messing about with this constant aperture rubbish.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam

 Louis_Dobson's gear list:Louis_Dobson's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads