Surfing Photogrpahy

Started Oct 3, 2008 | Discussions
ashes_mtb
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Surfing Photogrpahy
Oct 3, 2008

Hey there, bought an E-510 with the twin lens kit a while ago wanting to get into photography as a hobby. Been playing around a bit and thought I'd start posting some stuff for comment and advice.

Spent an hour at the beach this morning taking some surfing shots. Clear blue skies and sun over the land made for decent conditions I think.

All shots are with the 40-150 kit lens. Based on comments in another thread about sports photography, I was generally shooting in Aperture priority mode and leaving the camera to do its thing with shutter speed. First shots were very over exposed so I played with the exposure compensation until I got some decent results (I think). Haven't applied any PP, just cropped a bit (150mm is probably a bit short).

Would love any advice or suggestions!

http://picasaweb.google.com/Ashes.mtb/TriggBeachFriday3rdOctober08#5252764378028819778
ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/4000 sec
Aperture: f/4.4
Focal Length: 61mm

http://picasaweb.google.com/Ashes.mtb/TriggBeachFriday3rdOctober08#5252766369379012418
Exposure: 1/3200 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 150mm

http://picasaweb.google.com/Ashes.mtb/TriggBeachFriday3rdOctober08#5252766403929549298
Exposure: 1/2500 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 150mm

Cheers
Brett

Henry Caron
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,940
Like?
Re: Surfing Photogrpahy
In reply to ashes_mtb, Oct 3, 2008

.In those conditions try metering the northern sky for your exposure.

Henry

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Thekman03
Regular MemberPosts: 210
Like?
In reply to Henry Caron, Oct 3, 2008

A circular polarizer might help cut some of the water reflection a bit.

maybe someone can confirm that.

ViTAR
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
In reply to ashes_mtb, Oct 3, 2008

The problem was - a spot metering, which gives completely unpredictable results in such situation.

I prefer ESP metering with compensation to avoid blown highlights (making test shots and checking histogram) and shooting RAW to have a better room to lighten dark areas. (well, now I always shoot RAW though).

Your images are still editable:

ashes_mtb
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
In reply to ViTAR, Oct 3, 2008

Cool, thats heaps better.

Can I ask what you use to edit and what you adjusted?

I'll have a play with ESP metering as well next time I'm out shooting.

ViTAR wrote:

The problem was - a spot metering, which gives completely
unpredictable results in such situation.

I prefer ESP metering with compensation to avoid blown highlights
(making test shots and checking histogram) and shooting RAW to have a
better room to lighten dark areas. (well, now I always shoot RAW
though).

Your images are still editable:

ViTAR
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
In reply to ashes_mtb, Oct 4, 2008

ashes_mtb wrote:

Cool, thats heaps better.
Can I ask what you use to edit and what you adjusted?

I've used SilkyPix and played with exposure bias, contrast and gamma. To play further I recommend to ajust WB and saturation and correct horison. Maybe its too dark (its a metter of taste), but much more dramatic

original:

edit:

P.S. I recommend to calibrate monitor using hardware calibration.

bobinsandyeggo
Contributing MemberPosts: 983Gear list
Like?
consider setting EV to -.3 or -.7, too...

when you're in pretty bright, contrasty light situations. It can help alot with the highlights.

It has really helped me in similar conditions, with my 510. Gets me more of the white water detail. In this shot ( jpg/OOC, cropped only), I had it set at -.3 and probably should have had it at -.7.

Those are nice action shots you have, though. Thanks for posting.

-- hide signature --

bob naegele
san diego, ca
http://www.rjndesign.com/

bobinsandyeggo's gear list:bobinsandyeggo's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +1 more
JoeyCinSC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,555Gear list
Like?

I spent about two months in Hawaii back in the Spring and did some surf photography. My best results came while I was in the water (believe it or not). Most of the best ones were with the 50-200 AND EC-14. That gave me an effective reach of 560mm - still not enough IMO. That is why I jumped in. I was using the E-510 at the time, so I needed to be a little careful about the salt water, but I wasn't going to worry about a few splashes. I was about waste deep.

So, the 40-150 is probably on the short side for close action shots, but you could always try different perspectives with multiple surfers. I'd also drop the ISO 200 and get a shutter speed closer to 1/1000. You don't really need 1/4000 (and some of higher speeds you had). Keeping the aperture around F8-F11 will allow a greater depth of field. You'll get better detail with ISO 200 than 400. Occasionally, you will have to bump the ISO to keep the shutter around 1/1000, but that is OK.

With some PP, creative crops, and leveling of the horizon, you can make your current shots pop.

Good luck and here is an example of a collage I made. It looks outstanding printed to 16x20 (could easily go larger).

-- hide signature --

Joe - Philadelphia, Pa
http://joecorvaia.zenfolio.com/

JoeyCinSC's gear list:JoeyCinSC's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus E-M1 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads