Size of CF card that can be used on Canon 400D/XTi

Started Sep 28, 2008 | Discussions
mufutau55 Senior Member • Posts: 1,138
Size of CF card that can be used on Canon 400D/XTi

What is the maximum size of CF card that can be used on Canon 400D/XTi?
Thanks.

Mufutau

OP mufutau55 Senior Member • Posts: 1,138
Re: Size of CF card that can be used on Canon 400D/XTi

In gigabytes (GB) e.g 8GB, 16GB etc. please, not dimensions. Thanks.

Mufutau

shutterman Contributing Member • Posts: 859

Um, as far as I know, as large as you can afford or they have available. I have never heard of their being a memory card limitation. I am not sure how there could be anyways.

Pete4 Contributing Member • Posts: 747

I used 16GB without problem. Every file system has a limit of how many sectors it can address, also if the camera was designed before full specs for larger size memory cards were defined there could be some incompatibility issues, but I have not heard of any yet.

shutterman Contributing Member • Posts: 859

Interesting. I was not aware of this. I need to do some reading I guess.

Pete4 wrote:

Every file system has a limit of how
many sectors it can address, also if the camera was designed before
full specs for larger size memory cards were defined there could be
some incompatibility issues, but I have not heard of any yet.

slydog Contributing Member • Posts: 863
On some older models maybe.

The filesystem on the cards is just like on a computer, and is referenced with addresses etc.

2^32 (i.e 2 to the power 32) = 4GB, so some older cameras or phones may have this as a limit, since most operating systems are 32 bit (at the moment).

As an unsigned number, 32 bits can store a maximum value of 4294967296 (4GB), although as a signed number that becomes a range of + - 2147483648 (2GB), so sometimes that limit can be an issue. (Interestingly, I noticed recently that doing the firmware upgrade would not work properly on cards over 2GB, even though normal shooting was ok)

No problems on the XSi though for general shooting as far as I know. The only limit is your wallet.

OP mufutau55 Senior Member • Posts: 1,138

Thanks to everyone that responded. Below is the link that gives you every details on this for all Canon cameras:
http://www.gronjord.com/daniel/faq/english.asp#A.1

Mufutau

Pete4 Contributing Member • Posts: 747

Thanks for the link, however keep in mind the "all CF cards" relates to right now. The biggest CF card announced at the moment is 100Gb so we should see 120 GB shortly and I remember just few years back my computer needed major BIOS update to see 160 GB drive so I think there is a limit of 128 GB on all current cameras. Not a big deal at the moment since they don't have anything as large for sale yet, but could be different story next year.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads