Salgado shoots digital

Started Sep 21, 2008 | Discussions
Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,494Gear list
Like?
Re: Salgado shoots digital
In reply to RobertSigmund, Oct 2, 2008

He was using 35mm and 6x7…..I don’t think he was contact printing much from that. A 35mm contact print isn’t much to look at

Now, I can guarantee he isn’t contact printing from a digital camera.

Yes, Tri-X is thinner, but films like Ilford HP5 is still better….in my opinion. I stocked up on a bunch of Fortepan 400 that is a high silver content. Very rich, retro film. The tonality is superb. Check out some of the emulsions available at Freestyle Photo. You’ll find many silver rich, old style films available there.

Certainly a Magnum photographer should be able to find these films as easy as the rest of us. I don’t question his desire to turn to digital capture. I’ve been using an old Canon 10D and a new Pentax K20D in conjunction with Silver Efex to obtain a nice, retro B&W film look. However, the excuse that films now don’t have the tonality he wants doesn’t hold up to scrutiny. Based upon what I see from his work in the 70’s and 80’s, there is nothing in the films available now that would preclude him from obtaining the same results. Blaming new film doesn’t hold water….the real reason is he wants the convenience of shooting digitally. Considering the current digital technology can mimic B&W films in 35mm format very well….he should simply state that is the main reason he’s switched.

Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pattisboy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990
Like?
Re: Different Medium - Different Problems
In reply to JulesJ, Oct 2, 2008

JulesJ wrote:

Can you give us a link to an English version. Sorry but I don't speak
German.
Jules

A sample of the appropriately-named Babelfish translation.....

"....Was hot, damp, it gave each quantity of mosquitoes and other Gewürm. A tiny fly is guessed/advised me in the left eye, and I needed to herauszupulen 13 hours, around her again. The left eye, which you always zukneifen when photographing? Here, you can see that. It is anyway constantly easily ignited...."

Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,494Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pattisboy, Oct 2, 2008

Pattisboy wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

Can you give us a link to an English version. Sorry but I don't speak
German.
Jules

A sample of the appropriately-named Babelfish translation.....

"....Was hot, damp, it gave each quantity of mosquitoes and other
Gewürm. A tiny fly is guessed/advised me in the left eye, and I
needed to herauszupulen 13 hours, around her again. The left eye,
which you always zukneifen when photographing? Here, you can see
that. It is anyway constantly easily ignited...."

-- hide signature --

Have a few glasses of wine....it'll make perfect sense then

Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +15 more
RobertSigmund
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,913Gear list
Like?

Thank you. The topic is interesting.

Forte Films? Correct me if I am wrong: Forte was, a long time ago, the Hungarian subsidiary of Kodak. They changed their name to Forte when Hungary became communist. They ventured on quite well after the fall of the iron curtain, but now, due to the shrinking analogue market, they closed their doors (a pity). So, there is no new Forte material anymore. And this may be Salgado's reason: Oh yes, you can get old fashioned films, but by rather exotic purveyors. Being Salgado, he must rely "blindly" on his films. He has no time to test new materials all the time, being busy with his enormous projects. Just an attempt of explanation. Because I neither think that he lied (why should he, he doesn't need to) nor an inapt photographer. It is no shame at all to admit: I prefer the convenience of digital. I see no reason why he shouldn't have told so if this was his reason.

I happened to see his new exposition "In Principio" on coffee today. Fantastic, of course. And if it wasn't analogue, the imitation was perfect (we all now to what lenghts Alien Skin Exposure or Nik Silver Efex can go when it comes to imitation).

RobertSigmund's gear list:RobertSigmund's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37
morninglight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,288
Like?
Printer

I think Salgado's printer is still a fellow named Dominique Granier, from Paris.

-- hide signature --

'Gosh, you've really got some nice toys here.'
Roy Batty

morninglight
Like?

RobertSigmund wrote:

I happened to see his new exposition "In Principio" on coffee today.

Found it.......

In Principio's pictures I think are from his series about laborers, but centered on coffee workers. The pictures span from 2002 through 2005 I think...

-- hide signature --

Roy Batty

RobertSigmund
Like?
Re: Printer
In reply to morninglight, Oct 2, 2008

Well, looking at his work I do not think he has to fear unemployment.

morninglight
Like?
Re: Printer

RobertSigmund wrote:

Well, looking at his work I do not think he has to fear unemployment.

Yeah. He is considered to be among the top printers in the world, and deservedly so.

-- hide signature --

Roy Batty

morninglight
Like?
Speaking of Salgado...
In reply to morninglight, Oct 3, 2008
Diopter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,770
Like?
In reply to LJSmak, Oct 3, 2008

LJSmak wrote:

Some other poster made a comment about money, but this guy quit from
Magnum

Long years ago (20?) I'd seen a mention, that he limits his personal expenses to the level of a teacher, and gives the rest to charity.
(-)

Mark Smith
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,642Gear list
Like?
In reply to RobertSigmund, Oct 3, 2008

RobertSigmund wrote:

Thank you. The topic is interesting.
Forte Films? Correct me if I am wrong: Forte was, a long time ago,
the Hungarian subsidiary of Kodak. They changed their name to Forte
when Hungary became communist. They ventured on quite well after the
fall of the iron curtain, but now, due to the shrinking analogue
market, they closed their doors (a pity). So, there is no new Forte
material anymore. And this may be Salgado's reason: Oh yes, you can
get old fashioned films, but by rather exotic purveyors.

I this he's talking Tabular grain modern films vs cubic crystal where the latter is supposed to have better tonality although to skilled technicians the differences are minimal.

There a quite a few 'old style' emulsions around the EFKE/Adox one are still made the CHS 25 is really nice in Rodinal at higher dilution and is unchanged since 1952.
My faveourite is CHS 50 Art with is orthopan according to the guys at Fotoimpex:
http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/2007_09_23_archive.html
Forte films are gone but were nice:
http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/2008_01_06_archive.html

But their are plenty of similar options and indeed modern films like Acros have nice tonality with the correct development.

In the end I think Salgado is shooting digital and film for the same reasons a lot of us do, we like the speed and ease of use of digital.

I don't think workflow comes into it for Salgado as I don't imaging him spending hours in the darkroom printing, I think he would have a printer, so in essence his workflow is unchanged, he gives his flash cards to his printer/assistant just like he did with film.

RobertSigmund
Like?
In reply to LJSmak, Oct 16, 2008

Here Michael Johnston said that he used to use two M 6 with 24 and 35 mm and one R 6 with a 60 mm: http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2008/10/some-perspectiv.html

pixeltorch
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
Re: Different Medium - Different Problems - Salgado translation
In reply to parisphotog, Oct 16, 2008

Reporter: you are known for working exclusively with b&w...

Salgado: you want me to reveal something? I have started to work with digital methods.

Reporter: Pardon me?

Salgado: The quality of film has fallen markedly. In the past b&w films had a high silver content. But silver is expensive. 20 years ago the quality of a 35mm negative was better than a middle format negative today, which is 3.5 times as large. You can tell from the old prints.

Reporter: How has that changed your work?

Salgado: Surprisingly, nothing has really changed. I make contact sheets as I used to do with film, and take a loupe to select the photos. Then I make prints in 13 x 18 format, with the only difference that the basis for this is a physical, instead of a chemical process.

-- hide signature --

the interview was probably in french or portuguese, the article in german, and now you have the english translation. something may have gotten lost from the master's message... it will be interesting to see if one can tell any difference in his output.

I suspect he uses a Leica M8.

RobertSigmund
Like?
In reply to RobertSigmund, Sep 18, 2009

Ken Rockwell links to a new interview with Salgado, http://www.estadao.com.br/arteelazer/not_art433790,0.htm

I do not speak Portuguese, but if my Spanish skills do not mislead me, he indeed shoots with digital Canon nowadays, has "contacts" made, edits (that is: makes his choices) on the contacts, and, strange enough, then, for security reasons, has negatives made from the files of the images he has chosen.

While scanning film is widely known and used, the other way round, while I knew that it exists, is not an option widely available or often taken.
I can understand it, though, living in constant fear of loss of my files ...

Pangloss
Senior MemberPosts: 2,298Gear list
Like?
In reply to RobertSigmund, Sep 18, 2009

I speak Portuguese and you read the article correctly, even though Spanish and Portuguese are very different languages.

Remote storage at two different places is the safest way to archive digital files, and nowadays several providers have very affordable services with all the data encryption you could want, so I don't really see the need for Salgado to keep a physical archive, but who am I to criticise?

Yes he says he uses Canon digital equipment nowadays and "the same lenses" so I assume he has his favorite primes and zooms equivalent to those he used to have back when he shot using Leica cameras.
--
Andrew
Enjoying my LX3!

Pangloss's gear list:Pangloss's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 Nikon 1 V1 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads