Epson R1800 Double image/Ghost image

Started Sep 14, 2008 | Discussions
Tim Dane
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Epson R1800 Double image/Ghost image
Sep 14, 2008

Hi

New to this forum so hope I am doing this right. I have an Epson R1800 that until recently has worked perfectly.
Head checks and cleans are all fine- no issues with nozzle prints.

However, printing on Best Photo, uni-directional, gives both banding about every inch or so and worst still there is a sort of ghost outline of the image just to the right. It is as if someone has pulled the paper slightly when printing.

I have tried aligning the head manually and using automatic. I have replaced the cartridges and done numerous cleans but still no change.

If I print on RPM setting the problem is less obvious but the image still has a grainy appearance and nothing like it used ot be

Can anyone suggest anything I am missing? Is the printer toast? I have searched the forum and can't find anything specific but apologies if I have missed something

Thanks
Tim

colourgeek
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,576
Like?
Re: Epson R1800 Double image/Ghost image
In reply to Tim Dane, Sep 14, 2008

Sounds like a media problem. Try another media type , one that is similar. Ghosting can be as you said the paper moving as it is not held tightly, but also can be the receiver not drying quickly or at all. Rarely is it an electronics problem, but if it is it can be interference by radio, magnetic fields , resonance from a too long cable etc.
Let us know if it is media specific or not.

-- hide signature --

Neil Snape photographer Paris printer reviews at http://www.neilsnape.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tim Dane
Like?
In reply to colourgeek, Sep 14, 2008

Thanks for your reply.

I should have posted that this occurs irrespective of media and irrespective of whether or not gloss optimiser is used.

colourgeek
Like?

Good to know. Then it's narrowed down just a bit.

Are the traction wheels holding the paper? Can you pull out the paper while printing?
Try a different USB cable.

Power off the printer, unplug, and leave it off for 5-10 minutes to drain the ePROM. Re-initialize the printer (turn it on).

In the worst case, uninstall the driver, download the latest from Epson, reinstall.
--

na goodman
Regular MemberPosts: 496
Like?
In reply to colourgeek, Sep 14, 2008

Also do a head alignment on the paper that you using.

border lord
Contributing MemberPosts: 831
Like?

If it isn't a head alignment problem, it is likely the head is somehow loose on the carrier. the first thing I would try is to enable bi-directional printing to see if the problem persists. Check the head alignment again with bi-directional printing enabled, as well.

BL

Tim Dane
Like?
In reply to border lord, Sep 14, 2008

Thank you for the replies.

I have tried a reinstall of the current driver, moving the printer and changing the USB cable to no avail.

What is also now happening it seems that the paper feed is not feeding correctly. On plain paper it won't fully eject after printing. Pressing hte eject button advances the paper only a few centimeters before it stops. Odd.

I am wondering if this is symptomatic of the print problem? Could it be that the paper advance is not right and moving too quickly through the cycle? Is this why RPM is running better than Best photo. Is this a printer or driver issue?

Oh dear, it is not looking very promising !

colourgeek
Like?

It's rare but I've read some stepping motors go wonky or fail. IS the ghosting in the direction of the transport or the printhead?
--

border lord
Contributing MemberPosts: 831
Like?

There is another thread running about the R1800, and it not printing after cleaning. There is info there about the PW sensor, which could be your problem as well.

BL

Adam2
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,756
Like?
In reply to border lord, Sep 14, 2008

No, this is not likely. PW sensor errors result in an inability to print, not ghosting. If he's eliminated the obvious causes, one has to start thinking about some issues related to the printer/head carriage assembly, step motor, etc.

While it seems obvious have you opened up the cover while printing? Does the printer head appear to slip or catch on anything? Describe what you see and perhaps we can offer some additional suggestions.

Tim Dane
Like?
In reply to Adam2, Sep 14, 2008

Thank you for your replies.

I have watched the print head closely and it seems "normal" to me. Nothing to catch on to and it doesn't make any abnormal noises.

interestingly, now when I go to print a nozzle check, the printer prints before the paper is properly in place meaning that half the nozzle check print is missing. If I do the autoclean check, it prints fine. It seems almost that the problem is getting worse.

If I press the feed button with a blank sheet of paper inserted, it only goes in a few cm before stopping and won't fully eject unless you press the button many times.

lajacobs
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?

Probably a dumb question but do the rubber wheels that grab and pull the paper through keep spinning? IWO are they getting traction on the paper? If not, clean them with alcohol. Sometimes the coating on the paper will build up on the wheels and cause feeding problems. See this:

http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00Iteh

Also I don't know if your model has a "thick" paper setting in the driver but if so make sure you don't have it chosen.

Probably won't help but ya never know.

linda

lajacobs's gear list:lajacobs's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +6 more
Adam2
Like?

Tim Dane wrote:

Thank you for your replies.

I have watched the print head closely and it seems "normal" to me.
Nothing to catch on to and it doesn't make any abnormal noises.

Ok, I was more interested in what you see happening on the paper as the printer was printing. You may need to watch it with a flashlight.

interestingly, now when I go to print a nozzle check, the printer
prints before the paper is properly in place meaning that half the
nozzle check print is missing. If I do the autoclean check, it prints
fine. It seems almost that the problem is getting worse.

Clearly, there is a logic or timing issue. Can you get your hands on the Epson service utility? Not the SSC program, but the Epson diagnostics program - it allows you to read the EPROM data and run various diagnostics such as PW, PF and ink mark sensor adjustments, etc. I would start with each of these. You may be able to find a copy on the yahoo users group or search for it as a bittorrent.

If I press the feed button with a blank sheet of paper inserted, it
only goes in a few cm before stopping and won't fully eject unless
you press the button many times.

see above.

Tim Dane
Like?
In reply to Adam2, Sep 16, 2008

Well I think the mystery is finally solved, I got the adjustment program as recommended and it says Fatal Error 02 CR Motor Drive error.

What I now need to find out is how expensive it is to replace and whether this is a DIY job or a professional one.

Does anyone have any experience of this

Adam2
Like?
In reply to Tim Dane, Sep 17, 2008

Tim Dane wrote:

Well I think the mystery is finally solved, I got the adjustment
program as recommended and it says Fatal Error 02 CR Motor Drive
error.

I'm glad you performed the diagnostics. It makes no sense tearing apart the printer without knowing what is ailing.

What I now need to find out is how expensive it is to replace and
whether this is a DIY job or a professional one.

An authorized or capable service center will cost you. At a minimum, $150 before they even touch the printer. I know that it's tough, but you have to weigh the cost benefit ratio.

Does anyone have any experience of this

Actually, replacing the CR motor is rather straightforward. If you look up page 122 of the service manual, you'll see the steps outlined. Be sure to perform the CR drive heat control function in the adjustment program in addition to the usual things such as head alignment etc.

The more difficult issue will be locating a new/used CR motor. Do a search on the web for Epson printer replacement parts and good luck.

pop
pop
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to Adam2, Jan 5, 2009

I had a very similar problem, only my ghosting was much more dramatic - more of like a second image printed approx 1/2 inch below the first. The page wouldn't eject either. I finally resolved the issue myself by completely resetting the printer (ensuring it didn't believe a page was already partially loaded) and then running an automatic print head alignment. I'm glad I tried this - I was literally about to start shopping for a new printer.

domduran
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to pop, Sep 14, 2010

I am unfortunately having this same issue now with my R1800-dual images and misfed paper. How exactly was this resolved? Pop? Anyone?

lifeweaver
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to pop, Jan 29, 2011

Today my R1800 started doing the same things, so I came here did all the steps suggested - nothing helped, so I called Epson - here are the steps they gave me and it appears all is well.

1. Turn machine off and use a can of air and blow out the area where the paper actually feeds in - first time didn't work, then I also blew out and forced a piece of paper through the feed for watercolor paper - viola - it worked.

2. Print Head alignment - did the auto print head alignment - which now worked as the paper would actually feed correctly and low and behold all appears to be well.

3. I recommend unplugging and letting the printer reset itself as well.

I was about to trash it and go buy a new printer, which I really did not want to do. So before you chuck it out the window or pay someone to fix - try these steps.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads