Aug 28, 2008
 Bob Howland's gear list:Bob Howland's gear list
Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro
Rob Bukar
Regular MemberPosts: 240
Like?
Re: CanonRumors being threatened by Canon
In reply to Bob Howland, Aug 28, 2008

Wow, cool. I guess he has the correct specs. I'm in for one. This is so the camera I have been waiting for. price anyone? $2500? $3500? higher/lower?

http://www.bukar.com

from canonrumors:
5D Mark II

This comes from a dude that seems to be right a lot lately.

• 21.1 MP 1.0x

• DIGIC IV

• ISO 100-6400 L:50 & H:12800

• 5 FPS

• 3.2" High Resolution Screen (LCD)

• 19 point AF

• HDMI Out

• Liveview

• HD Movie Mode

• Viewfinder: 100% Coverage

• Full weather sealing

• EF Lenses only

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ne beginner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,044Gear list
Like?
Bob, those specs are sourced from rummers ...
In reply to Rob Bukar, Aug 28, 2008

... on this forum .. .which have spread like weeds on the internet.

The issues with the site in question, as you can see of you read through the thread on that site, are infrindgment on Canon property ... like their logo and name in the web address. You need permission for stuff like that.

If it had anything to do with the specs, they would also be going after FM, this site, popphoto, etc.

I know a lot of people WANT those to be the specs ... sure would be great of they were.

IF they were, do you really think Canon would release such a camera as a entry FF? That is what the current 5D was and is. Those specs would hurt the 1D series ... would Canon do that?

IMHO, there may very well be a camera with those specs in the works ... but more as a 3D ... or with faster FPS and AF the IV many are hoping for. If a 3D, think $3,500 USD ... or more ... when it comes out. I would suspect a "7D" to come out as an entry FF ... a FF 50D for around $2,300 at launch ... settling down to perhaps the $2,000 range after 6 months (50D down to $1,000).

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D750 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
discopolana
Senior MemberPosts: 1,366Gear list
Like?
Great! I'll buy another Nikkor!!! [nt]

Bob Howland wrote:

http://www.canonrumors.com/index.php?entry=entry080827-181809

-- hide signature --

Bob

discopolana's gear list:discopolana's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +6 more
Marco van den Hout
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
Re: Bob, those specs are sourced from rummers ...
In reply to ne beginner, Aug 28, 2008

Why would anyone think a site called canonrumors.com would be an official Canon site? I agree with not using the Canon logo, but the domain name looks fine with me. I wonder what the legal people will say...

py6km
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?

ne beginner wrote:

The issues with the site in question, as you can see of you read
through the thread on that site, are infrindgment on Canon property
... like their logo and name in the web address. You need permission
for stuff like that.

If it had anything to do with the specs, they would also be going
after FM, this site, popphoto, etc.

But as those other sites you mention don't use Canon intellectual property (in the form of logos, names etc for the actual websites), what legitimate reason could they have for going after them?

Perhaps they are only able to go after CanonRumors becuase it uses the logo and name, and the specs are correct, but they can't do anything about those specs appearing in other places which don't infringe the IP.....

SmokinMan
Contributing MemberPosts: 855
Like?

ne beginner wrote:

IF they were, do you really think Canon would release such a camera
as a entry FF? That is what the current 5D was and is. Those specs
would hurt the 1D series ... would Canon do that?

Would Canon do that? In the past NO. But now they dont have a choice. Let Sony and Nikon kill the 1DsIII? or Let 5DII? What is your call? In fact the 5DII IQ wise with the new sensor and Digic IV will surpass the IDsIII. But not long after that 1DsIII and 1DIIIwill get the new sensor, more MP, Digic IV, other PRO goodies, plus totally new AF that put an end to the 1DIII nightmare.

-- hide signature --

SmokinMan

DougH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,066
Like?
Domain name should be ok....

Hmmm, I think Canon is on shaky ground regarding the domain. It is a stretch to think anyone would think that Canon would have a website devoted to rumours about itself.

zape
Senior MemberPosts: 1,062
Like?
Ridiculous...

While Canon's request of taking the logo down seems reasonable, their request to change the domain name is right out ridiculous... and certainly not a smart move.

-- hide signature --

br
ZapE

Priaptor
Senior MemberPosts: 1,996Gear list
Like?

well it sounds like this guy is for real.

Remember Thinksecret and Apple? That guy got leaks from someone from the inside and they shut him down.

Maybe this guy's stats are too revealing.

You conspiracy guys may just have a real one here.

ne beginner
Like?
OP suggests that the reason canon is going after ...
In reply to py6km, Aug 28, 2008

... this site is because of the specs ... he's taking that as support that the specs are correct ... at least that is my inerp of his post.

My pojnt is that the specs are all over the place, so that IS NOT why Canon is going after the site ... it's use of logo, etc.

Nikon D750 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Peter Gregg
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,718Gear list
Like?
paypalsucks dot com

There are sites like paypalsucks.com paypalwarning.com, paypalhorrorstories.com and so on, so I am would think that using their logo or other trademarked items would be the problem, although there are forms of the Paypal logo on those sites. Check with a lawyer.

Peter

-- hide signature --

'Life is good - eternal life is better'

Peter Gregg's gear list:Peter Gregg's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon EOS-1D X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 70D +2 more
ne beginner
Like?
Of course they have a choice ...
In reply to SmokinMan, Aug 28, 2008

... history will of course be the judge if they make the correct choices ...

I believe Canon will kill the III's ... but slowly, and with a measured response. The more I see that as a logical course of action, the more I see a 3D coming out later this year to help the process along.

I don't see Canon doing this via an entry level FF ... 5D, 7D, what ever. Sony and Nikon are due, if rumers are to be believed, for FF pro level bodies. THAT's what Canon will respond to ... with the IV's. Remember, the specs are supposed to be 5D replacement ... an entry FF. If those specs are accurate, it WOULD kill the 1D's, so loigically they can not be specs for a 5D upgrade.

ne beginner
Like?
Can't say about that ... I'm not a lawyer ...
In reply to py6km, Aug 28, 2008

... just reading what's in the thread.

I work for a fortune 50 company ... world's largest at what we do. Consumer products. We have a whole floor full of lawyers who do nothing but search for any kind of infringement, false claims by competitors, etc. We have suites going all the time, plus all kinds of other legal action "preliminaries". Rarely does anything go to trial ... almost always settled. I would bet we'd go after the domain name just to keep folks on their toes ... ever vigilent kind of thinking. It's far more costly as a % of profit for a small player to have to deal with our legal machine ...

Not saying I agree or disagree .... just what it is.

slint
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
In reply to Priaptor, Aug 28, 2008

Priaptor wrote:

Remember Thinksecret and Apple? That guy got leaks from someone from
the inside and they shut him down.

Yeah, but on the flipside, a few years back, Apple enforced their trademark on the iPod name. Sites like ipodlounge.com renamed themselves as ilounge.com. A lot of third-party add-on products had to rename as well.

It's probably the same case here - it's the Canon name and logo, and not the "inside" info, which as well all know, is from here and hasn't been reliable.

brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,199Gear list
Like?
Re: Of course they have a choice ...

If those are not the specs Canon will bleed some more.

ne beginner wrote:

... history will of course be the judge if they make the correct
choices ...

I believe Canon will kill the III's ... but slowly, and with a
measured response. The more I see that as a logical course of
action, the more I see a 3D coming out later this year to help the
process along.

I don't see Canon doing this via an entry level FF ... 5D, 7D, what
ever. Sony and Nikon are due, if rumers are to be believed, for FF
pro level bodies. THAT's what Canon will respond to ... with the
IV's. Remember, the specs are supposed to be 5D replacement ... an
entry FF. If those specs are accurate, it WOULD kill the 1D's, so
loigically they can not be specs for a 5D upgrade.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +10 more
David Hull
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,544Gear list
Like?
Re: Of course they have a choice ...

Canon needs to have SOME answer to the D700 / D300. Nikon has bretty much set the bar for what you get for $3k (US) with the D700.

David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
scottjj
Senior MemberPosts: 1,100
Like?
Typical. . .

While I like Canon products a lot my impression of their corporate culture is that they're an arrogant bunch. They should spend more money developing their autofocus systems and less time hassling folks who tell the truth. I can't wait for canonsucks.com.

SmokinMan
Contributing MemberPosts: 855
Like?
We will see ne beginer in 3 weeks and 4 days time....

It is not up to Canon to kill 1DsIII at Canon own pace. That is the problem! It is Sony and Nikon! Watch the next three weeks for Sony and Nikon releases.
--
SmokinMan

ne beginner
Like?
Yes, and I think that just might be the long awaited ...
In reply to David Hull, Aug 28, 2008

... for 3D. A "mini" pro body. Seems that a lot of folks are looking at the D700 saying THAT's what the 5D need to compete with. I don't see it that way. The D700 IS a mini pro body.... like what the "3" used to be to Canon's 1's in the film days.

Canon also seems to like to slot between price points ... based on that, I would expect that a price higher than the D700 for a 3D ... at least at launch. After all, those specs, if close, would be a better machine than the 700D in many ways.

Anther way to trangulate what a 3D MIGHT look like, features and price wise, is that at $3,500 USD, or there abouts, 1D MkIII owners that want to change can do so at realtively modest cost ... probably less than $500 ... perhaps even close if Canon offers some kind of coupon for III owners who have sent in the bodies for problems.

Who cares, you might say, about that? IMHO, it would be a massive blunder for Canon to P-off lots of 1 series owners ... these are high value customers ... by doing something that makes all those 1D MkIII's suddenly worth significantly less than the typical resale value for those machines. That's why I don't see an "n" or "IV" well into next year. A 3D could be a great way to 1). compete with the D700 while 2). providing a face saving out for the 1D MkIII's for all parties.

Who knows? Fun to speculate, isn't it?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads