Minolta MD MC lens adapter for Olympus E-510 E-3 E-410

Started Jul 29, 2008 | Discussions
opticsguy
Regular MemberPosts: 232
Like?
Minolta MD MC lens adapter for Olympus E-510 E-3 E-410
Jul 29, 2008

Here is an adaptor for using Minolta lenses on Olympus digcams found on Ebay.

So, anyone tried these out? I have a wonderful set of lenses from Minolta just dieing to be used. Your comments please!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Minolta-MD-MC-lens-adapter-for-Olympus-E-510-E-3-E-410_W0QQitemZ140253225582QQihZ004QQcategoryZ30059QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

knoblock
Senior MemberPosts: 2,531
Like?
Re: Minolta MD MC lens adapter for Olympus E-510 E-3 E-410
In reply to opticsguy, Jul 29, 2008

Yes, I have an adapter. My Minolta lenses are Rokkor 50mm f/1.4 50mm f/1.8 58mm f/1.4 200mm f/4.5 45mm f/2.0 and I mount them to the E-510.

My favorites are the 45mm and 58mm, the former is very close to being a pancake lens, very small and light. I have a picture of it mounted on flickr. The 58mm is challenging, but an excellent lens.

-- hide signature --

Steve

http://www.flickr.com/photos/knoblock/
http://picasaweb.google.com/steve.knoblock

Film will only become art when its materials are as inexpensive as pencil and paper. -- Jean Cocteau

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
opticsguy
Like?
In reply to knoblock, Jul 29, 2008

Steve,

I have several Rokkor lenses and suddenly found the adaptor which makes all those old Rokkors useable again. I have a the 400mm apo along with a few others. Looks like a 510 might be in my future.

Where did you purchase yours?

Thanks again!!!

AnandaSim
Forum ProPosts: 13,422Gear list
Like?

That RJ is a good guy so far by me. I bought 2 of those adaptors from him. The later one even has wording on the barrel.

AnandaSim's gear list:AnandaSim's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +15 more
gwillys
Senior MemberPosts: 1,502
Like?
In reply to AnandaSim, Jul 29, 2008

RJ sent me his new md/mc adapter with fc chip (programable) that was delivered yesterday. looks to be finished better than the original, and the chip is a new version. i havent tried it yet & i dont have a IS camera, but i'll post some results later. i dont think the fc chip functions on a e1, so i'll probably use a e500. its great that he can offer these adapters at such a reasonable price.

he emailed me a couple docs of the programing instructions. if anyone wants to look them over: http://rapidshare.com/files/131649097/docs.zip.html

gwillys
Like?
In reply to gwillys, Jul 29, 2008

...prior to RJ developing his adapter, the only minolta-4/3 adapter was Gandys @ $175 + shipping.

just be sure to check that the aperture lever wont contact anything in the mirror box. some lenses need to have the lever trimmed. & be sure to back out the hex screw before mounting and then dont overtighten it.

i use rokkor primes from 21 to 300mm and a couple 35-70 zooms. i luv em.

VGR
VGR
Regular MemberPosts: 157
Like?
gwillys
Like?
In reply to VGR, Jul 29, 2008

VGR, correct me if im wrong, but your one size fits all adapter wont allow focus to infinity.

RJ's dedicated adapter does, and to my surprise, works on a e1, so its compatable with all 4/3 cameras. very nice quality, works great & programable for IS cameras.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AF-confirm-MD-adapter-for-Olympus-E-510-E-3-E-410-E-420_W0QQitemZ140252607152QQihZ004QQcategoryZ30059QQcmdZViewItem

gwillys
Like?

heres from RJ's adapter using the fc indicator. she was a model...70 some odd years ago.
e1/rokkor 58 1.2 @ 1.2

knoblock
Like?

I got mine from RJ and it works fine.

One tip: Be sure to use the hex wrench to lock down the set screw (it applies pressure to the plate inside the adapter) any lenses that focus stiffly or are very massive (like the 200mm), since focusing can wrench enough to cause a sudden dismount. One of my normal lenses has a stiff focus ring and the 200mm is massive enough that it can wrench itself off the adapter in a few turns. I've had both dismount in my hand when I forgot to lock the adapter to the lens. The 45mm is so light and the focus ring turns freely enough locking it down is not needed.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Film will only become art when its materials are as inexpensive as pencil and paper. -- Jean Cocteau

Robert Schroeder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,321
Like?
The Apo 400 is probably a good reason to try it

I have the cameraquest.com adapter, and I'll probably get one or two Chinese ones some day as well.

Don't expect too much, though–if you're expecting image quality, most of the old Minolta lenses are mediocre at best when attached to a Four Thirds DSLR. Then again, extraordinary lenses like the 400 Apo you mentioned might perform very well. Beside two or three non-Minolta made lenses, so far I've tried MC 2,8/24, MC 2/28, MD 2,8/28, MD 1,7/50, MD 1,4/50, MD Macro 3,5/50, MD Macro 4/100, MC 2,8/135, MD 4,5/75-200. Out of them, the only two lenses on par with the Zuiko Digital "HQ" range are the two macro lenses. Not quite as good wide open, but still rather good is the 2,8/24 and maybe the 2/28. The other lenses need stopping down at least two stops to get sharp, contrasty results.

And you won't get user friendliness. You have to fasten the lens with an allen screw, it does not catch in the bayonet. There's no automatic diaphragm, you're viewing through the stopped-down lens. For every shot you will want to adjust focus wide open, then manually step down to the wanted aperture, then shoot. Snapshots are quite impossible with manual lenses.

And exact manual focus is only possible on the E-3's focusing screen, the other screens are virtually unusable for MF (unless you don't exchange them for third-party made focus-assist screens). The only usable MF option for an E-510 or E-410 would be by Live View.

One good thing: with the E-3 and E-510, you'll be able to use IS with the old lenses.

Cheers,
Robert

gwillys
Like?
Re: The Apo 400 is probably a good reason to try it
In reply to Robert Schroeder, Jul 29, 2008

awww, it aint all that bad.

rokkor 35mm 1.8

rokkor 300mm

rokkor 200mm f4

rokkor 50mm 1.2

rokkor 21mm

rokkor 58mm 1.4

opticsguy
Like?

Foreveryday shooting i would use Zuiko lenses. Does not make any sense to make photography more difficult. The adaptor allows me to use the 400 apo for special events such as total solar eclipses, birds, etc.

Seems like there are a variety of adpators including a $170 version?? so which one should i purchase?

gwillys
Like?
Robert Schroeder
Like?

Doesn't the "AF confirm" adapter interfere with IS?

Robert Schroeder
Like?

I remember having seen results from your 1,8/35 earlier, 100% crops of which looked very good as well. It's on my wish list since then.

gwillys
Like?

Doesn't the "AF confirm" adapter interfere with IS?

yes, but the fc chip is programable for focal length/aperture. once programed, IS will function. get the instructions from my post above.

gwillys
Like?

if you dont want to mess with setting chip parameters, get RJ's regular adapter. no fc, but IS will work as normal with manual lenses.

knoblock
Like?
Some lenses rival the ZD

I did a test of the Rokkor 45mm f/2 and the 40 to 150mm ZD kit lens. The former had better edge sharpness than the latter at about the same focal length. I will not say it is better overall, but the fixed focal lengths can give the kit zooms a run for their money.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Robert Schroeder
Like?

Thanks! I guess this subthread now constitutes a comprehensive summary of everything which is to say about the different Minolta/FT adapters, and in remarkably few words at that

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads