What has happened to used D3 prices?

Started Jul 27, 2008 | Discussions
Jonathan Reed
Senior MemberPosts: 1,505
Like?
What has happened to used D3 prices?
Jul 27, 2008

I have a D700 on the way, and it's more the size,type of camera that I've really wanted and I fully intended to sell my 2 month old D3, but the used ones I'm seeing lately(just the last few days) are going for such a low amount that I may have to keep the D3 after all and send the D700 back, which I hate to do.

I thought it would be easy to find a buyer for a D3 with only 1200 shots for $4000-4100, but now I don't think so.

Is there anyone else in the same boat as me?

Although the D700 would suit be better, I sure hate to give my D300 away.

What a surprise. To me a D3 is well worth 4 grand any day. Maybe the D700 was not meant to be(for me).

Jonathan Reed
Like?
Re: What has happened to used D3 prices?
In reply to Jonathan Reed, Jul 27, 2008

Comments?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bloomoose
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,215Gear list
Like?
Prices came down in June ...

... I started looking for a used D3, when the Chinese cell phone images were published and it was clear to me that the D700 would not have more than 12 Mpix.

Bought one used for 2.800 Euros and new ones from the UK were to be had for 3.300 incl. shipping.

FX pices are coming down ... which for me is a good thing. But I sold my D2X for a trifle ...

Jonathan Reed wrote:

I have a D700 on the way, and it's more the size,type of camera that
I've really wanted and I fully intended to sell my 2 month old D3,
but the used ones I'm seeing lately(just the last few days) are going
for such a low amount that I may have to keep the D3 after all and
send the D700 back, which I hate to do.

I thought it would be easy to find a buyer for a D3 with only 1200
shots for $4000-4100, but now I don't think so.

Although the D700 would suit be better, I sure hate to give my D300
away.

What a surprise. To me a D3 is well worth 4 grand any day. Maybe the
D700 was not meant to be(for me).

-- hide signature --

Greetings from Germany,
Pam

bloomoose's gear list:bloomoose's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX300 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 +12 more
Joe Mondello
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,615
Like?

Jonathan Reed wrote:

I have a D700 on the way, and it's more the size,type of camera that
I've really wanted and I fully intended to sell my 2 month old D3,
but the used ones I'm seeing lately(just the last few days) are going
for such a low amount that I may have to keep the D3 after all and
send the D700 back, which I hate to do.

I thought it would be easy to find a buyer for a D3 with only 1200
shots for $4000-4100, but now I don't think so.

Although the D700 would suit be better, I sure hate to give my D300
away.

What a surprise. To me a D3 is well worth 4 grand any day. Maybe the
D700 was not meant to be(for me).

Yeah it seems the availability of the D700 has instantly made the D3 less valuable on the used market.

Also sketchy resellers advertising new D3s at just under $4K doesn't help either.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Joe

dylanear
Senior MemberPosts: 2,297
Like?

I think a near new one with proper credentials should fetch near $4000. At least that's what I'm hoping to get for mine. I've gotten some low ball offers and people showing me what are surely non-US models that are probably used or open box from shady dealers for like $3900. But a real pro I'd think would rather have a lightly used body with receipts from a good dealer. I may buy an extended warranty to sweeten the deal if I have trouble selling mine. It's only been listed a few days.

But there are probably plenty of people trying to recoup some of their D3 investment after moving to D700s and that does push the market down. That's the business.

Amateur Hobbyist
Regular MemberPosts: 412
Like?

I think the issue is actually two-fold.

First, as others have pointed out, the D700 availability has put many used D3's on the resale market. Just take a look back a couple of months ago and you'll see how hard it was to even find a used D3 for sale.

Second, and more important, is the discounted price that one can buy a new D3 for. US1Camera.com has them right now for $3,819.00 (with free shipping). That's a US model that will come with a full Nikon warranty for less than what you're trying to sell your used camera for. Given the excellent resalerratings.com rating they have (and the fact that I've purchased two cameras from them with 0 issues), they are not "shady" as others have discussed. Don't like them, then buy a brand new one from Dbuys.com ($3,910.00 with free shipping); another reputable online dealer. Anyway, you get the idea... why buy a used camera with no warranty when you can buy a new one with a warranty for the same or less? (would you?)

The fact of the matter is that you ALWAYS pay a premium to have the latest and greatest. I can remember back when all those people that bought a D2H right before they went from $3,500 to $2,000 in one day were complaining LOUDLY. (same issue).

If it's any consolation, it's like this with most electronics or computers; that's why you hear people say "buy it and don't look back"...

regards,
martin

Pradipta Dutta
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,745Gear list
Like?
Inaccurate expectations, Jonathan

You know, when brand spanking new D3 from extremely reputable and reliable dealers is available at $4,500, why would anyone buy a used body for $4,100? A more realistic used D3 price would be in the $3,800 range - i.e., between 80% to 85% of the price of new body.

-- hide signature --
 Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
NikonProArtist
Contributing MemberPosts: 541
Like?
In reply to Amateur Hobbyist, Jul 27, 2008

Amateur Hobbyist wrote:

The fact of the matter is that you ALWAYS pay a premium to have the
latest and greatest. I can remember back when all those people that
bought a D2H right before they went from $3,500 to $2,000 in one day
were complaining LOUDLY. (same issue).

I remember a big drop for the D2H!

Expect to receive about $3,500 - $3,900 for a used D3 today. You might get more, depending on the market and the condition of the camera . eBay currently has very few of them.

As soon as the D3X is released the used D3 price will plummet like the old D2 series did. Look out below!

It doesn't matter to me. I love the D3. Mine are not for sale.

Bob Jameson
Regular MemberPosts: 387
Like?
In reply to Amateur Hobbyist, Jul 27, 2008

Amateur Hobbyist wrote:

If it's any consolation, it's like this with most electronics or
computers; that's why you hear people say "buy it and don't look
back"...

It's funny that the D700 is the cause for all these D3 drops. Few months from now, it will be the same for D700. Watch D700 fall fast when the D3X comes out 2 months from now. There is abundant supply of D700. Ritz and a lot of other stores still have it in stock!

My D700 is on the way, I already factored this in when purchasing the camera.

Rob Tomlin
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?
Re: Inaccurate expectations, Jonathan
In reply to Pradipta Dutta, Jul 27, 2008

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

You know, when brand spanking new D3 from extremely reputable and
reliable dealers is available at $4,500, why would anyone buy a used
body for $4,100? A more realistic used D3 price would be in the
$3,800 range - i.e., between 80% to 85% of the price of new body.

-- hide signature --

I agree.

It's a matter of supply and demand. There are probably a fair number of D3's being put on the market now, and with the D700 being priced as it is, of course the used D3 market will take a hit.

Rob Tomlin's gear list:Rob Tomlin's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Karld70
Senior MemberPosts: 2,466
Like?
Simple, the D700 is really what a lot of people needed

But the D3 was the only FF Nikon, so a lot of people spent the extra money to get the FF, not necessarily all the features.

Now that there is a D700 FF, the D3 is looking way over priced to many people that don’t need the extra bells and whistles the D3 has.

The market is just correcting itself.

It’s also a great time for people wanting the extras the D3 has over the D700 to be able to get the D3 at a more reasonable price, now that the bloat has been lost.

dylanear
Senior MemberPosts: 2,297
Like?
In reply to Amateur Hobbyist, Jul 28, 2008

Look at the ratings for any outfit selling D3s in the $3900 range and tell me they are not shady. You may get what you were sold, but it looks like 20% to 40% of customers do not. That's not shady?

Focal64
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
In reply to Jonathan Reed, Jul 28, 2008

They are right where they should be.
Camera is not an investment.
You early adopters are paying the price.
I'm never selling it so I don't care what value it has.
When the 5D replacement comes out at $2,500 with more MP,
I won't complain about the D700's price point.
More features or better IQ, that is the question.

;0)

randy jk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,989
Like?
In reply to Amateur Hobbyist, Jul 28, 2008

3819 is the import model price. US is 3999.

murdoprint
Contributing MemberPosts: 824
Like?
In reply to NikonProArtist, Jul 28, 2008

NikonProArtist wrote:

As soon as the D3X is released the used D3 price will plummet like
the old D2 series did. Look out below!

I don't think it was the D3 that killed the D2 series, it was the D300. Suddenly, you had a new model that outperformed the older pro model is a couple key categories while adding novel features like microadjust and liveview-- all at a lower price than a used D2H. Despite the better build, performance dictated prices had to drop.

Considering the D3's pro hardware and similar performance to the D700, I don't think a used D3 will slip below a new D700's price for some time. Nor do I think a D3X selling for somewhere between $5,000 and $8,000 will have much effect on used prices.

However, when a 20mp D800 is introduced with some killer feature such as expanded dynamic range for $2500, the used D3 price will sail down the toilet.

Jonathan Reed
Like?
In reply to murdoprint, Jul 28, 2008

Well, I've decided to keep my D3. I'm not willing to take a bath on the price and the D700 will just have to wait. I temporarily forgot just how much I love my D3.

I've regained my senses.....

Thom Hogan
Forum ProPosts: 13,659
Like?
Re: Simple, the D700 is really what a lot of people needed
In reply to Karld70, Jul 28, 2008

Karld70 wrote:

But the D3 was the only FF Nikon, so a lot of people spent the extra
money to get the FF, not necessarily all the features.

No, I'd bet on something else, actually.

Let's put on our Dream Hats. Pretend that you're Nikon and you've stopped making the D3 to make the D3s. What, you say? Well, you add sensor cleaning, a dedicated INFO button and goose the AF performance (for example, provide real tracking above 9 fps). Really press things that, well, the press would want. If you did that, you'd clear out the existing D3 inventory prior to the D3s launch, wouldn't you?

Or put on your Fantasy Hat. Pretend you're Nikon and you've stopped making the D3 because you're going to introduce the DM, which is essentially a D3 in modular form. Your choice of lower megapixel count and higher frame rate, or higher megapixel count and lower frame rate. Again, you'd probably want to clear out the existing D3 inventory prior to introduction.

Or put on your Way Out There Hat. Pretend that you're Nikon gone bonkers and you've stopped making the D3 to make the D3+3. Only visible difference? A big slider just above the color LCD. Slide it to the left and you've got a 12mp FX sensor and great high ISO performance. Slide it to the right and you move that sensor out of the way to be replaced by a 24mp FX sensor with great acuity. If you did that, you'd clear out the existing D3 inventory prior to the D3+3 launch, wouldn't you?

Sensing a theme?

Realistically, there are two likely possibilities:

1. The D3 is now lower priced. That's a permanent change and means there will be three FX price levels (D700, D3, UNANNOUNCED). I'll point out that a 20% drop in price in a year is not abnormal for Nikon, especially when the volume doesn't hold, as it wouldn't with a D700 intro.

2. The D3 was a short term place holder. It'll be replaced by one or more cameras that, along with the D700, render it's place too fragile and nuanced to remain in the lineup.

Given Nikon's aggressive moves of late, either is possible. The only thing I'd say (to Nikon) is that you can't make that second choice too often otherwise you upset your customers way too much.

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan
author, Complete Guides to Nikon bodies (18 and counting)
http://www.bythom.com

MylesDavid
Contributing MemberPosts: 579
Like?
In reply to Pradipta Dutta, Jul 28, 2008

I saw a Nikon D3 on Ebay today for a buy it now USA model for $4,000. Did I make $2,500 with my D3 which would be the price gap between what I bought it for and what I would receive if I sold it next year. Yes and more...

DMS

digital4dummies.com
Senior MemberPosts: 2,111
Like?
Maybe I needed a D700, but the D3 certainly sufficed.
In reply to Thom Hogan, Jul 28, 2008

Your scenarious are fascinating and insightful as usual, and maybe a little fun to think about. But I can't resist a comment:

Thom Hogan wrote:

Realistically, there are two likely possibilities:

2. The D3 was a short term place holder. It'll be replaced by one or
more cameras that, along with the D700, render its place too fragile
and nuanced to remain in the lineup.

Given Nikon's aggressive moves of late, either is possible. The only
thing I'd say (to Nikon) is that you can't make that second choice
too often otherwise you upset your customers way too much.

As you say, there would be some upset customers in this case. But let me put my vote in for the D3 as the most delightful and useful "placeholder" I've ever worked with. So far, I've gotten eight months of great indoor sports shots (during basketball season, the D3+70-200 VR was a dream come true), and I've loved using the camera's other features over a broad range of subjects. The current price drop works out to about $4.00 a day in "cost." That would be a bargain even if the D3 eventually dies on the vine.

Dave

Kpatel
Contributing MemberPosts: 937
Like?
In reply to Pradipta Dutta, Jul 28, 2008

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

You know, when brand spanking new D3 from extremely reputable and
reliable dealers is available at $4,500, why would anyone buy a used
body for $4,100? A more realistic used D3 price would be in the
$3,800 range - i.e., between 80% to 85% of the price of new body.

-- hide signature --

Pradipta,

If someone to sell now it is 3600 - 3800, but few months from now when everybody got their D700, and/or D3X will show up, then Prices will come down $3300 - 3500.

-- hide signature --

KP

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads