Nikon D90 without build in AF motor

Started Jul 16, 2008 | Discussions
NikonPlanet
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Nikon D90 without build in AF motor
Jul 16, 2008

I read a comment on nikonrumors.com that the new D90 may not have a build in AF motor (similar to D40/60). The post said that Nikon wants to distinguish their consumer and pro lines.

Does this make sense? I cannot believe that they will do this.

Yantra
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
Re: Nikon D90 without build in AF motor
In reply to NikonPlanet, Jul 16, 2008

This actually makes sense if they release few primes along motorless D90. I'm considering D80 or D300 then

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NNatic
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
In reply to Yantra, Jul 16, 2008

lets not forget it is a RUMORS site and in addition there has been no concrete info at all on the 90 anywhere on there... the D700 leaked solid stuff the 90 has nothing.... i am calling BS on anything that i read about it until we start seeing some consistant and more believeable stuff... Nikon reps for Wolf camera dont cut it.. they know less than we do..... seriously.

Ancient_Mariner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,555
Like?
In reply to Yantra, Jul 16, 2008

Yantra wrote:

This actually makes sense if they release few primes along motorless
D90. I'm considering D80 or D300 then

If you think about it, the best way to ensure a bright commercial continuance for the D300 is a motorless D90

TheronFamily
Forum ProPosts: 19,983Gear list
Like?

NikonPlanet wrote:

I read a comment on nikonrumors.com that the new D90 may not have a
build in AF motor (similar to D40/60). The post said that Nikon wants
to distinguish their consumer and pro lines.

makes some sense. Should keep cost down (by about 20c a piece)
But then, there are enough AF-S pro lenses to eliminate the pro theory.
It's gotta have the FF sensor tho, otherwise I aint interested.
Oh, and Auto FP, and 5 FPS at least.

I'll keep it dry by myself

TheronFamily's gear list:TheronFamily's gear list
Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM
Gammu
Regular MemberPosts: 274
Like?
Makes perfect sense.

No no, it's going to be an enhanced D80 will all the features of a D300, only smaller, cheaper, newer and better. Honest! I read it on the internet!

Seriously, if Nikon has to put an AF motor into all their DSLRs, even the low-end ones, their cameras are going to be at a continual cost-disadvantage to other brands.

This is what I think Nikon is likely to do, leave the motors out of the low-end/consumer/entry/this-forum - level cameras. It's a much better way to distinguish product lines than FPS or MP or percentage of viewfinder coverage.

I can see the product lines evolve into:

Entry = DX, no focus motor; Mid = DX + Focus motor; High-End = Same as mid, but FX. Whether FX migrates down depends upon market acceptance.

I'm not predicting it, but it makes sense from a marketing perspective, and is less confusing for the consumer.

And yes, I expect there to be much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

binary_eye
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,290
Like?

NikonPlanet wrote:

It makes sense to me. One can only assume the D90 will be targeting the same market as the D70 and D80 before it, which is the mid- to high-end consumer. There are enough AF-S lens options to satisfy most who buy the camera. As noted earlier in the thread, if AF-S primes are released it only makes sense to drop the focus motor.

Nikon has been producing AF-S lenses for something like ten years now, and no new lenses are without AF-S (except those that are intended to be manually focused). I think this is more than enough time to progressively phase out the focus motor on the lower end bodies.

eyrieowl
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?

i don't think it makes good sense at all. there are simply too many people who would find part of the attraction of the nikon system vs canon being the large set of lenses which are available...and i think many of those people are interested in the d70/80/90 level of camera. people who buy the d40/40x/60 level are, in all likelihood, starting on their first slr, are not going to be buying as many lenses, and will not terribly feel the loss of the lenses they can't af with (of course there will be exceptions, but as a general rule...). it would be one thing if nikon had been producing all of its lenses as af-s for 20 years...but they haven't, and there's just too many lenses that require the motor still being sold and used for this to be a good idea in the near future.

slint
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
In reply to Ancient_Mariner, Jul 16, 2008

Ancient_Mariner wrote:

If you think about it, the best way to ensure a bright commercial
continuance for the D300 is a motorless D90

Yeah, but that would discount the D200/D80 coexistence in Nikon's roster last year.

Going back to that blog - it's just a collection of posts from other sites (such as this one). Unless there is legitimate information (or even leaks from reputable sources (such as what happened with the D700)), everything about the D90 is pure speculation.

warner3020
Regular MemberPosts: 212
Like?

NikonPlanet wrote:

Of course we are speculating on a product that may or may not exist.

My take on this is given the target market for the D80 replacement the extra cost of the AF motor will not make much of difference on a body that will most likely be sold for over $1000.00.

The enthusiast segment will expect more than just the entry level features at the expected price point and will most likely be the market that will already have the extra lenses.

If the AF motor is left out I see demand for the D80 going up at the time it is announced.

daniel broad
Regular MemberPosts: 235
Like?
In reply to warner3020, Jul 16, 2008

without the focus motor, would there be need for the D80 at all? After all, it sits in an uncomfortable price point - too close to D60 below and D300 above [especially ar MSRP.]

Also, the ability to focus older lenses is somewhat diluted by the inability to PASM mode with AI lenses - so it really only finds its use with the sort of primes Nikon is gradually replacing [I use my 60mm Micro as an example here.] Not compatible with the really old stuff, just as compatible with the new lenses as the D40 and D60.

I love mine for it's many features derived from the higher end stuff, but if it didn't exist I'd have justified a D200.

Rumors aside, it'll be interesting to see how Nikon rationalises its range. Every camera at each price point is excellent.

Diddlbiker
Contributing MemberPosts: 608
Like?
If it's true, it makes sense - likely

As other posters said - the website is nikonRUMORS.com. Many of the decisions that have been made in the past by Nikon did not seem to make sense until you see it in respect to other developments.

Take the vertical grip. Why name it MB-D10 and not MB-D300? We learned the logic for that once the D700 was introduced. The D700 which came, pretty much, out of the blue. Up to the moment where the famous print leaks started to appear nobody would take an FX variant of the D300 serious.

In favor of the drive-less theory:

• Most, if not all of the consumer grade lenses at this point are AF-S lenses. In that respect it wouldn't matter that much.

• It would make the D300 more competitive with the "D90" assuming they share most of the features.

• It would be significantly cheaper to manufacture and sell. The 40D sells awfully low right now and the D80/90 is aimed at a lower price bracket.

• Lack of AF on the D40/60 is annoying. Lack of metering is worse than that. So what if the D90 still allows to meter with those lenses? That would set it apart from the D60 as well.

• AF-S is the future and Nikon is simply moving in that direction. Ever tried mounting a pre-AI(S) lens onta a D80 or D200?

Against the drive-less theory:

• So, really, what would be the advantage over the D60?

• With the D40/60 the argument was that "most buyers wouldn't change the lenses anyway" but even Nikon will admit that "most D80 buyers will change lenses"

So, here's my theory:

• The D80 and the D40 will be discontinued

• The D90 will be a D60 "on steroids" - effectively a D300 in a D60 body with the metering of the D300 but the (lack of) AF of the D60

• The D90 will sell for a price that is closer to the D60 then to the D80

• The D60 will replace the D40 in the

It makes perfect sense when you look at the line-up:
D3x: the 25mp FX sensor with a big pro body
D3: a 12mp FX sensor with a big pro body
D700: a 12mp FX sensor with a small pro body
D300: a 12mp DX sensor with a small pro body
D90: a 12mp DX sensor with a consumer body
D60: a 10mp DX sensor with a consumer body

From a sales perspective each model is an rational upsale. The D90 is D60 with better sensor/lcd. The D300 is a D90 with a better body. The D700 is a D300 with a better sensor. The D3 is a D700 with a bigger (better?) body. The D3x is a D3 with a bigger (but not faster) sensor.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Bart

Tianium
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,237
Like?
Re: If it's true, it makes sense - likely
In reply to Diddlbiker, Jul 16, 2008

I've said for a long time that this is a possibility.

AF-S is Nikons future and the D80 line will loose the AF motor at some point. Whether its this time around or next, who knows, but it will happen sooner or latter.

It may be that the reason for the delay in the D90 announcenment is because Nikon are waiting for some AF-S primes as well to soften the blow

There are certainly a lot of AF-S lenses available now and with Sigma and Tamron bringing out more new lenses with built in focus motors all the time........

Darin

ken burke
Contributing MemberPosts: 526
Like?
Do AF-S lenses require a camera w AF motor??
In reply to Tianium, Jul 16, 2008

I am trying to figure this thing out . . . Do AF-S lenses require an internal AF motor? So if we have AF-S lenses, we would be okay without the AF motor?--

ken

Nikon D50, 18-55 mm DX, 18-135 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 70-300 VR. PS Ele 4; PS Ele 6; 8 books on editing photos, and one book on the D50. SB-600.

John Garth
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?
Re: Do AF-S lenses require a camera w AF motor??
In reply to ken burke, Jul 16, 2008

I read that irt will be able to pick names for your grandchildren...
You rumor mongers are hilarious....
--
Thanks,
John
D300, D200, D80, D40X, & D40.

gisle
Senior MemberPosts: 2,468
Like?
No [nt]
In reply to ken burke, Jul 16, 2008
-- hide signature --
blackheathman
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Re: If it's true, it makes sense - likely
In reply to Diddlbiker, Jul 16, 2008

Very interesting analysis as always, Bart. It DOES make sense.

However there is a large number of old codger users like me with relatively ancient non-AFS lenses who are very happy with the whole D80 thing - price point, focus motor, SD card etc, who will ultimately want/need to upgrade their bodies (oh if it were only possible, sigh - I mean CAMERA bodies) without spending too much money and having to endure a relatively heavy piece of kit like the D300. I can't believe that it would be wise for Nikon to abandon long time supporters like us.

I'd prefer to believe that there will always be a place for the focus motored, plastic bodied model equivalent to the present D80.

-- hide signature --

david h. (blackheathman)
http://www.pbase.com/davidhobbs

Allan Brown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,654
Like?

NikonPlanet wrote:

GOOD!

Allan

kiko77
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
who needs another trimmed Nikon DSLR body?
In reply to Allan Brown, Jul 16, 2008

I think that if they do that it will be a big step towards loosing ground against the main competition-the EOS models;and also against all others,which offer motors in the bodies for such money;and even for much less in fact. How will it compete against the excellent 450D? The D90(if it be released) will be positioned piecewise between the 450D(which HAS a motor) and the higher 40D( and subsequently 50D).The D80 inherited much of the technic of the D200 and that's why it was such a success.It turned out to be such a balanced and capable machine and as such is used widely among serious photographers(including many professionals).Who needs another trimmed Nikon body like the D40/D60?The amateurs,moving from p&s? Well,they have one already.If the D90 doesn't inherit much of the technology of the D300 and the guys from Nikon decide to look at the D60 when making the D90-I don't think that it has any chance against the "dark side".For me it will be like Nikon's confession that they are unable to catch up with the Canon's competition in the enthusiast-amateur and semi-professional DSLR class and will draw back in the fully professional one.Which will be a pity for me.And I believe for everybody.

Gammu
Regular MemberPosts: 274
Like?
Re: who neads another trimmed Nikon DSLR body?
In reply to kiko77, Jul 17, 2008

kiko77 wrote:

I think that if they do that it will be a big step towards loosing
ground against the main competition-the EOS models(and also against
all others,which offer motors for such money)-how will it compete
against the excellent 450D? The D90(if it be released) will be
positioned piecewise between the 450D(which HAS a motor) and the
higher 40D( and subsequently 50D).

It does?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads