Thom Hogan D3 Review
Jul 16, 2008
AD Photogs
Regular MemberPosts: 355
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan D3 Review
In reply to m7ammad, Jul 16, 2008

Good find --

Even better, the D3 Gude seems to be coming any day now...the link on the right hand panel takes you to the D300 guide, but I suspect that will be fixed soon.

I can't wait...I purchased Thom's D200 guide and used it a lot to learn the idiosyncracies of that body, I look forward to the D3 as well.

Craig

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AD Photogs
Regular MemberPosts: 355
Like?
In reply to AD Photogs, Jul 16, 2008

Actually, I hope I am not stealing Thom's thunder because its not formally linked yet, but the D3 Guide information is here:

http://www.bythom.com/nikond3guide.htm

Looking good!

Dodi73
Senior MemberPosts: 1,394Gear list
Like?

Particularly interesting this passage...

"..The first hint of change came in August 2007, when Nikon introduced the D3 and D300 pair. And what a pair. But before I get to them, note my words carefully in the first sentence of this paragraph: "the first hint of change..." Yes, that means what you think it does. Nikon isn't done trying to re-establish its reputation at the high end. The recently introduced D700 is just one more indication of Nikon's quest to re-establish their pro and serious amateur core market.

You'll know what I mean by that statement sometime just before Photokina 2008. By mid-2009 I don't think anyone is going to doubt Nikon's commitment to the high-end market..

Remember what I'm telling you from months...

-- hide signature --

All the best
I'm on the NIK side of photography.

Dodi73's gear list:Dodi73's gear list
Nikon D600 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/25 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 3,5/18 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 +4 more
Hans Giersberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,935
Like?
I Remember Thom Telling Us For Months (nt)
In reply to Dodi73, Jul 16, 2008
-- hide signature --

I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own

Web Site - http://www.hgiersberg.com/

joseph papa
Contributing MemberPosts: 685
Like?

good reading. He brings up points not covered by DP review.

Arretose
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052
Like?

This is good stuff. Thanks

Richard Dong
Contributing MemberPosts: 923
Like?

I enjoyed the Thom's comprehensive writeup on the AF. It pretty much confirms the need to take the time to experiment and comprehend how the different AF modes in order to make best use of its capabilities (e.g. people wearing t-shirts coming towards the camera)

michaeljberman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,290Gear list
Like?
In reply to Arretose, Jul 16, 2008

reading that was one of my more enjoyable lunchs.

Thanks

Mike
--
If you have low standards, you can take a look:
http://michaeljberman.zenfolio.com

michaeljberman's gear list:michaeljberman's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
sting
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,968
Like?
Educational

Great review. I thought I had read everthing about the D3 until Thom mentioned that new D3 bodies oil-up the sensor. I think that is my current problem. Thanks for that valuable tip.

Lord of the Badgers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,723
Like?
Re: Educational
In reply to sting, Jul 16, 2008

indeed, and makes me want to order his ebook.. 5 stars all round indeedy. wow.

so glad I made the leap of faith

not rushing into the d700 in the weeks to come.. think I'll hang on to see what the hi-res body will be looking like

-- hide signature --

I am Badger, hear me snuffle!
----------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/lord_of_the_badgers/

karel
Contributing MemberPosts: 874
Like?

Another excellent review by Thom Hogan. I've been using the D3 since early Dec and the review pointed out a few things that I wasn't aware of. Can't wait till Thom's ebook on the D3 is available.

Thom always produces a fair and well thought out review with minimal bias even though he is a longstanding Nikon shooter.
--
Karel

Dodi73
Senior MemberPosts: 1,394Gear list
Like?
Re: I Remember Thom Telling Us For Months (nt)
In reply to Hans Giersberg, Jul 16, 2008

Hi Hans

you're right, Thom was, while I was mostly talking about lenses (already from March), but already in april, well before the D700 rumors, here's a guess (point #3) and then, if you have followed this forum, I'm sure you noticed how many times people "complained" because D700 was showed with the "old" 24-120... etc. etc.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1030&message=27463001

and also here (16-85, I guessed a 16-90 VR 6 months earlier, despite the different aperture..)
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1030&message=23857235

-- hide signature --

All the best
I'm on the NIK side of photography.

Dodi73's gear list:Dodi73's gear list
Nikon D600 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/25 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 3,5/18 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 +4 more
nikond2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,010
Like?
In reply to Dodi73, Jul 16, 2008

Great review!! Makes me scared I have tooo much camera :> ) for a hobbyist

cycle61
Senior MemberPosts: 1,550
Like?
In reply to nikond2000, Jul 16, 2008

nikond2000 wrote:

Great review!! Makes me scared I have tooo much camera :> ) for a
hobbyist

Nothing wrong with buying quality equipment that will last for many years.

And Thom's e-books are uniformly excellent, far and away the best $40 or so you will ever spend on your camera. Directly improves the critical connection between the viewfinder and shutter button
--
Feel free to critique, I'm here to learn.
-Nick Davis
http://cycle61.blogspot.com

Thom Hogan
Forum ProPosts: 13,659
Like?
In reply to nikond2000, Jul 16, 2008

nikond2000 wrote:

Great review!! Makes me scared I have tooo much camera :> ) for a
hobbyist

There's a difference between being scared you have too much and knowing you have too much. I was just talking about this earlier today to my assistant. Essentially, my position is that you're not going to even come close to what you can do unless you're scared every once in a while. You have to embrace and conquer that. One with the force be.

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan
author, Complete Guides to Nikon bodies (18 and counting)
http://www.bythom.com

DavidB2
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Re: D3/700 v D300

I'm leaning towards buying the D700 for my high quality weapon of choice to supplement my D60 which will be relegated to in-need-of-lightweight duty.

Thom seemed to suggest at the end of the review that the D3/700 is more complicated to learn/master sufficiently for a non-pro to take good photos than the d300. That concerns me; my impression had been that the image quality of the FX sensor is superior and gives more latitude for not getting the exposure bang on, making it more forgiving of an amateur's mistakes.

I know its a lot of money for the intended use, but my use of the D700 would be mostly indoor family pictures, including of kids, kids events (school plays, birthday parties, etc), kids' sporting events like little league, etc. Most of that is either indoors or at higher shutter speeds, putting IQ at higher ISOs valuable. I'd rather spend the money and know I'm getting that outrageous FX sensor.

Do others think that it will be easier to learn to get better pictures out of the D300 than the D700?

• David

gonzalu
Forum ProPosts: 10,336Gear list
Like?
Thanks Thom... I just realized that my
In reply to m7ammad, Jul 17, 2008

D2Xs is enough shorter than the D3 to make my current bags unusable: Lowe Pro Computrekker AW and the Top Loader

Oh well, time to go shopping for a new bag ...
--
Manny
http://www.pbase.com/gonzalu/
http://www.mannyphoto.com/
FCAS Member - http://fcasmembers.com/

gonzalu's gear list:gonzalu's gear list
RX100 III Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
dwight3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,801Gear list
Like?
In reply to AD Photogs, Jul 17, 2008

AD Photogs wrote:

...the link on
the right hand panel takes you to the D300 guide, but I suspect that
will be fixed soon...

It's fixed. Order after August 14th. No preorders.

dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S52c Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Thom Hogan
Forum ProPosts: 13,659
Like?
Re: D3/700 v D300
In reply to DavidB2, Jul 17, 2008

DavidB2 wrote:

Thom seemed to suggest at the end of the review that the D3/700 is
more complicated to learn/master sufficiently for a non-pro to take
good photos than the d300.

All three (D300, D3, D700) have essentially the same user interface. The D3 adds voice annotation and far more spread of controls (more buttons, more places to look).

That concerns me; my impression had been
that the image quality of the FX sensor is superior and gives more
latitude for not getting the exposure bang on, making it more
forgiving of an amateur's mistakes.

Well, I use the word latitude hesitantly. First, if we're talking JPEG with the D3/D700, I'd say there is NO highlight latitude. With NEF, you can generally recover slight overexposure. At the other end, you don't really have latitude, but you have a slightly higher dynamic range, meaning you can be off a bit on a scene that has limited dynamic range in it and recover shadow detail (better in NEF than JPEG due to bit reduction). But those outdoor, high contrast scenes that give everyone fits because they have more range than the camera can capture: you'll still have problems with them.

Personally, I don't recommend a D3/D700 to someone who is still making exposure mistakes. The control complexity of the cameras may actually induce them to make MORE mistakes. People are being seduced by the high ISO capabilities into cameras that are heavy, large, complex, and costly. Stop using f/5.6 glass! The difference between using a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and a 18-200mm (which will be about f/4 at 30mm) is about three stops. Yes, you lose that VR and zoom flexibility, but if you're relying upon those things the D3/D700 are going to push you into some more expensive lenses.

I keep coming back to: what's your photographic goal? Landscape photography only? A used D2x might be your best bet, actually. Low light photography? Look to your lenses first.

We're all tempted by the new, but make sure that you know whether you're going for that new gear because you need it or just want it.

I know its a lot of money for the intended use, but my use of the
D700 would be mostly indoor family pictures, including of kids, kids
events (school plays, birthday parties, etc), kids' sporting events
like little league, etc. Most of that is either indoors or at higher
shutter speeds, putting IQ at higher ISOs valuable. I'd rather spend
the money and know I'm getting that outrageous FX sensor.

If you shoot at ISO 6400 at f/5.6 on an FX sensor, then you have to consider that this is like shooting ISO 1600 at f/2.8 or ISO 400 at f/1.4 on a DX sensor. So if your idea is to get a D700 but go with an aperture-limited lens, like the 24-120mm...

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan
author, Complete Guides to Nikon bodies (18 and counting)
http://www.bythom.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads