Nikon to produce NEW 17-55 2.8 lens......

Started Jul 16, 2008 | Discussions
Fletch147
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,745Gear list
Like?
Nikon to produce NEW 17-55 2.8 lens......
Jul 16, 2008

Sorry to post on here and not the lens forum but I know a lot of users here of the current 17-55 2.8 as i do.

I've just been chatting to Grays of Westminster in london UK, and he said they are POSSIBLY expecting a new nano coated version of the 17-55 2.8 later this year with possible VR. He couldnt confirm, but this has been mentioned within Nikon.

I never start rumour mills...normally as I hate and ignore those threads.

BUT in this instance if true, shows nikon dedicating itself to DX for the near future which makes me happy.

Again I do not start rumour threads and if you are interested Grays can be contacted on 0207 8284925.

This may not be a big deal for many, but i do find this an interesting addition to the nikon line up, especially as I plan on getting a second D300 body in the near future.

Whether its worth selling an existing 17-55 lens, thats up to the individual, maybe not as many are thinking FX with the introduction of the D700, so i guess many already are selling their DX lenses to build for the future.

You never now we may get some other long awaited upgrades to famous Nikon lenses later this year......

-- hide signature --
 Fletch147's gear list:Fletch147's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +4 more
John Garth
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?
Re: Nikon to produce NEW 17-55 2.8 lens......
In reply to Fletch147, Jul 16, 2008

I'm sure you never start rumors...
ROFLMAO....
--
Thanks,
John
D300, D200, D80, D40X, & D40.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Phil_L
Senior MemberPosts: 2,805
Like?
In reply to John Garth, Jul 16, 2008

John Garth wrote:

I'm sure you never start rumors...
ROFLMAO....

An oxymoron to be shure!

OTOH Grays of Westminster is a very large "Nikon only" distributor in London with an impeccable reputation for first class customer service and knowledge of all things Nikon.

So who knows..??
--
Phil_L

AllOtherNamesTaken
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,451
Like?
Fastastic

I have been waiting for this lens for a long time - I hope this is true! I think a nice price would be between $1200 and $1400 CDN.

Mark

Daniel Bliss
Senior MemberPosts: 1,679Gear list
Like?

If true I'd be all in favor of the nano-coat. I'm a bit skeptical of VR on this lens because I'd rather have less flare than more, but it makes sense for Nikon to use the DX format as the guinea-pig/lab rat for VR on a mid-range zoom seeing as a lot of pros who, let's face it, include more who are moving to FX than those who are sticking with DX, won't want VR in that focal length unless they see it already working well in practice. In the 17-55 range, good handholding technique in most cases is going to effectively compensate for the lack of VR, but nothing can compensate for the flare caused by an extra group of elements; nano-coat would simply get it back to where it is now.

Primarily I hope for anything that can secure DX's future. I'd like to see further improvements on the 12MP sensor to D3 standards of noise and dynamic range; after all if they can get from the D2X in early 2005 to the D300 in late 2007, they should at least try to get it to where the D3 is now by about early 2010. I'd like to see a Nikon counterpart to Tokina's 11-16 zoom. I'd like a 20/2 for DX, maybe even dual format if they can get it out at a reasonable price. My main reason for loyalty to DX aside from cost is the smaller standard and telephoto lenses; having a 70-200 operate as a 105-300 is very handy, being able to get it out to 420 with Nikon's awesome 1.4 converter is even better, and as for the 17-55 it's the first mid-range zoom I've ever liked not to mention a good half a pound lighter than the 24-70.

So, Nikon, if you do revise the 17-55, don't mess around with it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads