BB a700 discontinued

Started Apr 18, 2008 | Discussions
wiseone
Contributing MemberPosts: 948
Like?
BB a700 discontinued
Apr 18, 2008

I just called my local BB in Maryland. There is a discontinue date of 4/27/08 for this cam. They are selling at origial price until at least after the discontinue date.

The clerk said she had heard of the new replacement coming out but didn't have much info.

fjbyrne
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,196
Like?
Re: BB a700 discontinued
In reply to wiseone, Apr 18, 2008

wiseone wrote:

I just called my local BB in Maryland. There is a discontinue date of
4/27/08 for this cam. They are selling at origial price until at
least after the discontinue date.

The clerk said she had heard of the new replacement coming out but
didn't have much info.

I would be shocked if an A700 replacement appeared anytime soon. You can release updates too often. People will just keep waiting for the next one since it's right around the corner.

I was in a BB that didn't carry any Alpha products but would be soon. I would think that the 4/27 date might just be some sort of inventory date and certain BBs are dropping the Alpha (thus the discontinuation) while others are picking it up. It appears to depend on the store managers as to what they carry.

-- hide signature --

fjbyrne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tkranz
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?
In reply to fjbyrne, Apr 18, 2008

The discontinue is widespread. Something is going on. Many other electronics sellers are dropping the price on the a700.

moire
Senior MemberPosts: 1,885
Like?
In reply to tkranz, Apr 18, 2008

do u think Ca*non 40 d is DC because of its low price too?

-- hide signature --

A700 owner

ozgoldman
Contributing MemberPosts: 552
Like?
Re: A700 live view perhaps
In reply to moire, Apr 18, 2008

I could see Sony moving to Live View on the A700 quite quickly. Live view is very popular and with that function the A700 would be enhanced and so would their sales.
There have been rumours about this for some time.
Will be interesting to see what they do...
--
ozgoldman

Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
In reply to ozgoldman, Apr 18, 2008

ozgoldman wrote:

I could see Sony moving to Live View on the A700 quite quickly.
Live view is very popular and with that function the A700 would be
enhanced and so would their sales.

I would welcome an updated NR off A750 and with "real grip sensors" in the EU version. Instant buy...

I only wish it were true.

I can see A700 users not being happy if it were..
--

Clint is on holiday! Soon to return!

A200Eric
Senior MemberPosts: 1,246Gear list
Like?
In reply to Barry Fitzgerald, Apr 18, 2008

I agree that something is going on. My BB has a decent amount of Aplpha gear. The A100, A200, A350, A700, 18-200, 11-18 and 75-300. Some filters too. They also have a discontinued date of 4/27. This all happened very quickly as I was in there about a week ago trying to monitor the price of the 36 flash and the A700 was full list price of $1,399. They are not getting rid of all Alpha items, just A700.
--
Always learning.

A200Eric's gear list:A200Eric's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +7 more
pheanix300
Senior MemberPosts: 2,327
Like?
In reply to A200Eric, Apr 18, 2008

If all this speculation is true, this would be good for me. I still have an A100 because non of the newer offerings appealed to me. Although LV would be nice to have, it's not a must, but could sway me. NR is my biggest concern and after reading posts here, I decided against the A700. If a new model is to be released, has the same features as A700 and improved NR, I would buy. If it has better NR AND LV, I would pre-order.
--
From the original Pheanix:
'Shoot first (pictures that is); ask questions later'
Keith (me) - the original pheanix

CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,275
Like?
In reply to pheanix300, Apr 19, 2008

Keep in mind, BB has suffered some setbacks in the past 18 months, mostly due to Wal-Mart and online retailers. This is naturally going to result in some restructuring to improve profitability, something which doesn't necessarily reflect on the quality of Sony gear as much as simple mathematics that shelf space must be devoted to those items which have the fastest turnover. Every item in inventory that is sitting on a shelf longer than 30 days is basically losing money.

Also, remember they are NOT a photo specialty shop. As with their computers, they sell a lot of stuff to people who don't know what is really best! Also, while some of their salespeople can be knowlegable, most I have found know little more than their customers, or the sales guides they are given.

BTW, the Olympus folks are fretting about the same thing...yet the BB website currently lists the E410 as a "new item" at a special price. Go figure.

yakkosmurf
Senior MemberPosts: 2,019Gear list
Like?
In reply to Barry Fitzgerald, Apr 19, 2008

I have a US a700, so the grip sensor is already there. As for an updated model with Live View, I don't think I'd care much about it. I still don't think I'd use it. It would, however, make my wife happy, as she prefer the point and shoot, but is fully capable of using the optical viewfinder.

And to think when we got married 6 years ago, she was the only one with a camera. Old film 35mm P&S at that.
--
yakkosmurf
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yakkosmurf/

yakkosmurf's gear list:yakkosmurf's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +7 more
Glenn
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,782
Like?

I read some posts from Back in January about the dropping the grip sensors for EU models because of a ban on nickel. was that really why they were dropped? I hadn't heard of the ban on nickel (silicone yes.. Nickel no) A few weeks ago I shipped some parts to England and they had in their description "Nickel Plated" and I got a strange phone call from a customs clearance person who asked if they were used as medical implants .. or used in piercings .. made me laugh because they were rather large machine parts but they did let them go.
--
F717 (Legendary)
A200 (what a fantastic machine)

Eleson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,134Gear list
Like?
so, is BB or Sony dicontinuing it? (nt)
In reply to wiseone, Apr 19, 2008

no text

Eleson's gear list:Eleson's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
tweedle
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,480
Like?
Canong 'bombing' the way forward for 40D
In reply to ozgoldman, Apr 19, 2008

ozgoldman wrote:

Live view is very popular and with that function the A700 would be
enhanced and so would their sales.

Sounds like a wise move to me.

Canon is discounting the 40D heavily in Japan right now - other markets might follow.

With the concurrent success of the D300, the market for the 'advanced amateur' models seems to have become pretty hot ... Sony needs to step up to this.

More about Canon rebating the 40D and it's implications for competition:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=27614431

roweraay
Senior MemberPosts: 2,102Gear list
Like?
It is not BB alone
In reply to CharlesB58, Apr 19, 2008

Seems like in addition to BB, even retailers like Amazon have dropped the price of the A700. But none of the other Sony models seem to be affected. If I was a betting man, I would say the A700 is on its way out, with a highly curtailed lifespan.

CharlesB58 wrote:

Keep in mind, BB has suffered some setbacks in the past 18 months,
mostly due to Wal-Mart and online retailers. This is naturally going
to result in some restructuring to improve profitability, something
which doesn't necessarily reflect on the quality of Sony gear as much
as simple mathematics that shelf space must be devoted to those items
which have the fastest turnover. Every item in inventory that is
sitting on a shelf longer than 30 days is basically losing money.

Also, remember they are NOT a photo specialty shop. As with their
computers, they sell a lot of stuff to people who don't know what is
really best! Also, while some of their salespeople can be
knowlegable, most I have found know little more than their customers,
or the sales guides they are given.

BTW, the Olympus folks are fretting about the same thing...yet the BB
website currently lists the E410 as a "new item" at a special price.
Go figure.

NickGreen
Regular MemberPosts: 275
Like?
Nice thoughts Barry - It's been one messy camera!

Put in the market at the wrong time by missing the sales feature of the year - ( Live view), and dressed in a less sophisticated look than its rivals, Sony compounded it's problems by over pricing the A700 for too long. Trying very hard, you could now pick up a Nikon 300 body for less than A700.

And for the people who sat on the fence (like myself) the price is slowly dropping at the same time as rumours of an updated model begin to appear. How frustrating Sony has been with getting this semi - pro model right in design, price and availability.

Regards everyone!

Nick

VDG
VDG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,288
Like?

I'll pick up A700 @ 400 odd quid at any time

VDG
VDG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,288
Like?
Re: Nice thoughts Barry - It's been one messy camera!
In reply to NickGreen, Apr 19, 2008

NickGreen wrote:

Put in the market at the wrong time by missing the sales feature of
the year - ( Live view), and dressed in a less sophisticated look
than its rivals, Sony compounded it's problems by over pricing the
A700 for too long. Trying very hard, you could now pick up a Nikon
300 body for less than A700.

Can you substansiate it?! in the UK A700 retails £700+ best price for D300 I've seen is £970 odd..

And for the people who sat on the fence (like myself) the price is
slowly dropping at the same time as rumours of an updated model begin
to appear. How frustrating Sony has been with getting this semi - pro
model right in design, price and availability.

Regards everyone!

Nick

NickGreen
Like?
I'd snap one up to!
In reply to VDG, Apr 19, 2008

To be honest, if it just had price parity with the Canon 40D I'd buy one.

On the image quality front, despite the noise issue, I've slowly been won over by the A700 too.

Nick

CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,275
Like?
Re: It is not BB alone
In reply to roweraay, Apr 19, 2008

roweraay wrote:

Seems like in addition to BB, even retailers like Amazon have dropped
the price of the A700. But none of the other Sony models seem to be
affected. If I was a betting man, I would say the A700 is on its way
out, with a highly curtailed lifespan.

Or, Sony is reducing profit margins in order to increase market penetration, thus enlarging their presence so that sales of other Alpha models, current and future, will improve. This is a basic concept behind entering a new market: sell at a slim margin until you have a recognizable presence. Right now, the average consumer is going to question why he/she should spend $1000+ on a Sony instead of a Canon or Nikon. The people buying the most dslrs are NOT enthusiasts and pros: they're usually those stepping up from a P&S or UZ. They will naturally assume that since there are so many Canons and Nikons around, they MUST be the better cameras. They won't take a chance on a minority segment dslr make like Sony (or Olympus, Pentax or others) unless the percieved value is exceptional.

Of course, most of the people on this forum understand that Sony dslrs are just a continuation of the KM Dynax/Maxxum line. We know that hundreds of lenses, some of them best of class, are available to use on any Sony Alpha dslr. BUT, the average person walking into Best Buy or persuing Amazon.com doesn't know that. They are going to take a salesmans word for it on a lot of things (and believe me, your average salesperson at a place like BB is going to have more rumors than facts to relay to customers). They'll go to the manufacturers' websites and see Canon or Nikon list scores of lenses. Right now, go to Sony's site and finagle it's horrid navigation system to unearth dslr equipment in the midst of camcorders, computers and other gadgets. Then wonder why, if the stuff is so good, there isn't the in your face gallery you find on other camera makers' sites. I think one mistake Sony is making is assuming that people will say "Wow, it's a Sony! I WANT one." without providing the sort of image and resources that other makers provide.

That, and I think Sony did underestimate the appeal of Live View, which of course reduces the perceived value of the A700 compared to comparable CaNikons which do have it. So I think the price drops are a matter of Sony trying to sell more A700's in order to gain market share AND move inventory in preparation for the "A750" which will likely introduce LV and some other features that the A700 lacks to compete directly with the CaNikon Prosumer cameras.

This isn't that unusual. The Olympus E410 has had a relatively short lifespan. For that matter, as I recall, Konica-Minolta dropped out of the camera market mere months after introducing a new model of DiMage UZ.

Anyone with retail management experience will tell you that price drops have many reasons, from distributor/manufacturer promos to eliiminating overstock.

NickGreen
Like?
Can't substaniate the price - but its getting close!
In reply to VDG, Apr 19, 2008

Well your price for the Sony includes the cash back. I think Jessops (on the high street at least still quote a grand for the bodies of both the Nikon and Sony models. But I think it wasn't that long ago that the Nikon was £1300.00? And on this forum people complained it was unfair to compare the 2 cameras as the Nikon cost a lot more!

I've been in Jessops today, the Canon and Nikon pro models just look physically more expensive, yet in the Canon at least is a whole lot cheaper. I'm locked into the A-mount system and at some stage will join the Sony clan. But how anybody with a clean system sheet buys an A700 I'll never know.

Anyway back to the thread, I hope the rumours of a new model are true.

Nick

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads