Best software for Nikon Coolscan V ED and Leopard?

Started Mar 18, 2008 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Jan Morales Regular Member • Posts: 335
Best software for Nikon Coolscan V ED and Leopard?

I just replaced my old PC with a new iMac running 10.5.2. I have a Nikon Coolscan V ED scanner which I'd like to use. I'd like to avoid using anything on the CD that came with it as it's ancient (and I never liked the Nikon software anyway) and the software on the Nikon web site isn't much newer (circa 2005). I have a couple of questions:

Does software like Silverfast or VueScan require that the CD that came with the scanner be used in anyway? Or is that software all you need?

Can anyone recommend from personal experience scanner software that works well on 10.5.2 with this scanner? I value stability and Leopard compatibility over bells and whistles.

Thanks,
Jan

DiploStrat
DiploStrat Contributing Member • Posts: 782
Vuescan
1

I love Vuescan - fast and insanely flexible.
--
DiploStrat

 DiploStrat's gear list:DiploStrat's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
davidrm Senior Member • Posts: 1,366
Re: Vuescan

I can't speak specifically for Nikon, or for Vuescan, but Silverfast does not include scanner drivers. I don't think Vuescan does either.

So in that case you need to install the scanner software (surely Nikon provides updates ? I'm stuck with a Minolta, which has no support...) and then Silverfast or Vuescan on top.

In any case, you're better off scanning at 48 bit, all settings zeroed, and do post processing in an image editor.
--
Blogs and galleries at http://www.snowhenge.net
E-System photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowhenge/

DiploStrat
DiploStrat Contributing Member • Posts: 782
Drive On!
1

Vuescan drives almost every scanner in the known universe - even many that it claims not to.

You do not need any additional software with Vuescan - download it and try. You may be pleasantly surprised.
--
DiploStrat

 DiploStrat's gear list:DiploStrat's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Jan Morales OP Regular Member • Posts: 335
Thanks!

Thanks to all who responded! I will be trying VueScan shortly.

Cheers,
Jan

artBob New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Best software for Nikon Coolscan V ED and Leopard?

I just plugged in the scanner, inserted a slide, waited for all the yipping and yamming to stop, and clicked on Vue Scan. No problems, except Vue Scan thinks the scanner is not ready for a while while the scanner gets itself adjusted for the next slide.

graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 4,851
Re: Best software for Nikon Coolscan V ED and Leopard?
1

Vuescan has been a lifesaver. No CD needed, frequent updates, wide scanner support, cheap price for lifetime upgrades, and it can drive any scanner I have ever owned since the 1990s. Which means no need to remember how different scanner utilities work...you have one application and one UI to drive them all.

The biggest advantage of VueScan has been that as scanner manufacturers stopped updating their software over the years (I'm looking at YOU Nikon), VueScan has been the bridge that keeps on letting my old scanners keep on truckin' through the very latest system updates that break other old software. VueScan is awesome.

henryk1 Contributing Member • Posts: 906
Re: Best software for Nikon Coolscan V ED and Leopard?

Was I you I'd go the Vuescan route. It has worked with every scanner I've ever owned. The price is right, too.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,484
Re: Best software for Nikon Coolscan V ED and Leopard?

How does a five year old thread get resurrected???

fuego6
fuego6 Senior Member • Posts: 1,946
Re: Best software for Nikon Coolscan V ED and Leopard?
1

Because the Nikon scanner is still going strong and one of the best on the market.  though the original software no longer works so folks look for alternatives.. buy a quality scanner and it will last a long time!

JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 39,262
Re: Vuescan

davidrm wrote:

I can't speak specifically for Nikon, or for Vuescan, but Silverfast does not include scanner drivers. I don't think Vuescan does either.

So in that case you need to install the scanner software (surely Nikon provides updates ? I'm stuck with a Minolta, which has no support...) and then Silverfast or Vuescan on top.

i too have an old Minolta Dual Scan kicking about under mbe chinch. Is there any way I can us that today on my iMac? I don't think the plug is comparable even, but it was great for scanning the sealed APS negs that I still have a bunch of.

In any case, you're better off scanning at 48 bit, all settings zeroed, and do post processing in an image editor.
--
Blogs and galleries at http://www.snowhenge.net
E-System photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowhenge/

JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 39,262
Re: Best software for Nikon Coolscan V ED and Leopard?

graybalanced wrote:

Vuescan has been a lifesaver. No CD needed, frequent updates, wide scanner support, cheap price for lifetime upgrades, and it can drive any scanner I have ever owned since the 1990s. Which means no need to remember how different scanner utilities work...you have one application and one UI to drive them all.

The biggest advantage of VueScan has been that as scanner manufacturers stopped updating their software over the years (I'm looking at YOU Nikon), VueScan has been the bridge that keeps on letting my old scanners keep on truckin' through the very latest system updates that break other old software. VueScan is awesome.

I use the Epson V700 which is a great scanner, an I use it with the original Epson software which works fine. Would VueScan have any obvious benefits over the Epson Software? I mostly scan 2 1/4 b&w negs, some 35mm and printed images.

RobBobW Contributing Member • Posts: 666
Re: Best software for Nikon Coolscan V ED and Leopard?

JulesJ,

I found the ViewScan software an improvement over the OEM Epson software.  Give it a try and see for yourself.

 RobBobW's gear list:RobBobW's gear list
Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,593
Re: Thanks!

Jan Morales wrote:

Thanks to all who responded! I will be trying VueScan shortly.

Cheers,
Jan

Jan download Vuescan and try it but carefully test it to see if it really performs better than the Nikon software. You need to get it out of your head that the Nikon software is old because that often has nothing to do with the results you get with these discontinued film scanners. For example, I use a much older version of Vuecsan with my Canon FS4000 film scanner because it simply does a much better job than the current version and many versions that came before it.

Back when Vuescan seemed to be a labor of love for Ed Hamrick (the creator of Vuescan) you would see scanner specific improvments in performance and quality quite regularly. Heck I even remember exchanging comments with him back in the old newsgroup days. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any meaningful improvements for  my film scanner for years. In fact, just the opposite, which is why I use one of his older versions of Vuescan.

It would be great if he kept an archive of older versions of his software for people to test their scanners with but he goes out of his way to deny paid customers that option and apparently even threatens people that post older versions of his software meant for users who have already paid for the software that would only work properly if you have a valid serial number. He appears to be quite the jerk when it comes to that.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,593
Re: Best software for Nikon Coolscan V ED and Leopard?

MrMojo wrote:

How does a five year old thread get resurrected???

LOL, I got suckered in myself. This site really needs to make these old posts more obvious to avoid.

RobBobW Contributing Member • Posts: 666
Re: Thanks!

It is not so much that the Nikon software is "old" but rather that Nikon chose to not provide any updates such that one year after I bought an very expensive scanner, I could no longer use it with a new computer running a newer operating system.  That was many years ago.  So unless people what to use Nikon's very nice scanners, they are forced to use antique computers with antique operating systems, or use a third party software package like ViewScan.

Hamrick makes their living selling software.  They spend lots of effort updating it to support all the new scanners coming to the market and fixing bugs that have been identified.  It is understandable why they would not want someone else giving away their bread and butter.  I have also not found any reduction in performance of ViewScan in the many years since I first started using it.

 RobBobW's gear list:RobBobW's gear list
Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC
JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 39,262
Re: Best software for Nikon Coolscan V ED and Leopard?

RobBobW wrote:

JulesJ,

I found the ViewScan software an improvement over the OEM Epson software. Give it a try and see for yourself.

Ok, I might try it again.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,593
Re: Thanks!

RobBobW wrote:

It is not so much that the Nikon software is "old" but rather that Nikon chose to not provide any updates such that one year after I bought an very expensive scanner, I could no longer use it with a new computer running a newer operating system. That was many years ago. So unless people what to use Nikon's very nice scanners, they are forced to use antique computers with antique operating systems, or use a third party software package like ViewScan.

Depending on how much film one is still planning to scan it may be worth holding on to or buying a used older computer with a supported OS just to use for scanning. I am currently doing that with my Canon FS4000 film scanner with a small HP Slimline desktop running Windows XP that I used before I got my first Mac quite a few years ago. The reason is mainly because that film scanner has a SCSI and a USB 1 interface and the later is painfully slower. I scan raw negative files through Vuescan on that HP running Windows XP and the files are then transfered to my iMac for "developing" in Vuescan, Lightroom and Paint Shop Pro.

Hamrick makes their living selling software. They spend lots of effort updating it to support all the new scanners coming to the market and fixing bugs that have been identified. It is understandable why they would not want someone else giving away their bread and butter.

The older versions of the software are locked with gibberish $$$$ signs all over the images and only work with valid serial numbers, in others words already paid customers. Allowing older versions of Vuescan to be available takes nothing away from Hamrick and his company. Nothing at all. I'm also not the only person that has complained about that.

I have also not found any reduction in performance of ViewScan in the many years since I first started using it.

That's good for you but that has certainly not been my experience with the Canon FS4000. IR dust removal works a bit better on the older version of Vuescan I use and if I try to reprocess raw scans made with the older software with the current Vuescan I get banding. It's unfortunate because the current software is so damn fast on the Mac. It would have been awesome to process my raw scans in the current software with such speed, but not at the expense of image quality.

Silicon Sam Regular Member • Posts: 456
Re: Thanks!

Basalite wrote:

Hamrick makes their living selling software. They spend lots of effort updating it to support all the new scanners coming to the market and fixing bugs that have been identified. It is understandable why they would not want someone else giving away their bread and butter.

The older versions of the software are locked with gibberish $$$$ signs all over the images and only work with valid serial numbers, in others words already paid customers. Allowing older versions of Vuescan to be available takes nothing away from Hamrick and his company. Nothing at all. I'm also not the only person that has complained about that.

Cheers,

RobBobW
http://www.revelationimages.ca
http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/19484.html
http://www2.photosig.com/go/users/view?id=98593

You mean allowing older versions of their software available for paying customers, or he should just allow his older versions out free on the public domain?  Sounds like a really bad idea there.

Another thing is he doesn't want you using older versions that may have a bug in it, and then having you complain to him about said bug, when updating the version would fix it.

I have been using the software since 2002, but back then the Pro version was $40, and I have been through countless scanners and machines since then.

Just used it last night on my new Mac Pro with ML, and an old Epson 836XL I bought on CL for $20.  The scanner is SCSI, and I got a FR1SX Firewire adapter to convert it.  Was having issues scanning anything over 200 dpi, but removing the SCSI terminator from the back solved the problems.

 Silicon Sam's gear list:Silicon Sam's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 300D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +6 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,593
Re: Thanks!

Silicon Sam wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Hamrick makes their living selling software. They spend lots of effort updating it to support all the new scanners coming to the market and fixing bugs that have been identified. It is understandable why they would not want someone else giving away their bread and butter.

The older versions of the software are locked with gibberish $$$$ signs all over the images and only work with valid serial numbers, in others words already paid customers. Allowing older versions of Vuescan to be available takes nothing away from Hamrick and his company. Nothing at all. I'm also not the only person that has complained about that.

Cheers,

RobBobW
http://www.revelationimages.ca
http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/19484.html
http://www2.photosig.com/go/users/view?id=98593

You mean allowing older versions of their software available for paying customers, or he should just allow his older versions out free on the public domain? Sounds like a really bad idea there.

As I said, the software needs to be unlocked. If you are a paid customer then you would have a valid serial number to remove the $$ signs placed on images. It has nothing to do with anything being "free."

Another thing is he doesn't want you using older versions that may have a bug in it, and then having you complain to him about said bug, when updating the version would fix it.

That's a bogus excuse when all it takes is a simple disclaimer saying tech support is not offered for older versions of Vuescan.

I have been using the software since 2002, but back then the Pro version was $40, and I have been through countless scanners and machines since then.

Yep, so have I.

Just used it last night on my new Mac Pro with ML, and an old Epson 836XL I bought on CL for $20. The scanner is SCSI, and I got a FR1SX Firewire adapter to convert it. Was having issues scanning anything over 200 dpi, but removing the SCSI terminator from the back solved the problems.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads