M42 mounting problem...

Started Mar 13, 2008 | Discussions
Kevin D
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
M42 mounting problem...
Mar 13, 2008

I have a few old M42 lenses that are simply a joy to use on a fairly regular basis (Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4, Vivitar Series 1 200mm f3.5, Fuji 28mm f3.5), but, alas, when I mount them to the 7D via a little adapter I bought over eBay, the camera sort of freaks out. The adapter is just a simple black piece. Sometimes the 50mm works, other times the camera makes this rather strange whirring noise when the shutter is pressed, and then shuts off. I'm not sure whether the mirror is catching (it doesn't seem like it) or whether the AF screw is trying to activate a non-existant AF gearing. The 50mm works most of the time, but I have been unable to use the 200mm and the 28mm despite removing the aperture pin from the 200mm. Does anybody have any experiences like this? It would be great to recieve a little help from the community on this one. I like using my old lenses

Thanks all,

-Kevin

jamesdak
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,827
Like?
Re: M42 mounting problem...
In reply to Kevin D, Mar 13, 2008

Do you have the 7D programmed in the menu to fire without a lens? I used my Pentax SMC 50/1.4 on my 7D with no problems at all. If the programming in the menu is correct you might want to try another adapter. I used either Haoda or fotodiox for mine. I sold the 7D about a year ago and went with Canon and don't remember for certain what brand the adapter was.
--
Long live the HMS Beagle
Critiques always welcome!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kevin D
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
In reply to jamesdak, Mar 13, 2008

Yes, the body is set to fire without a lens (otherwise i wouldn't be able to shoot with it).

Renato1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,322Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kevin D, Mar 13, 2008

I had very nearly the same problem you describe with my 5D and Haoda adapter (but not with my 7D and Haoda adapter). But you shouldn't be having the problem if all you have is a simple adapter without the electronics in it - you can check for electronics by physically examining it, or checking the viewfinder to see if the focus confirm light comes on when you press the fire button.

In my case, it transpired that the problem only occurred in the 5D when I used lenses that had a longish length of thread, which somehow interferred with the camera's own aperture pin. You can check out my initial misdiagnosis and the correct diagnosis given by James (who manufactures one type of electronic M42 adapters) and his solution (bending the camera's pin a bit) at the M42 lens forum at Dyxum. I wasn't game to try his solution, but just decided to use the 7D instead.

But if you really do have a plain adapter, I have no explanation of what's going on.
Regards,
Renato

jamesdak
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,827
Like?
9 months ago
In reply to Kevin D, Mar 14, 2008

Kevin,

I had to go back aways but I found a post from last June where I talked about using a Haoda AF confirm adapter with the 50/1.4 on the 7D. So that answers which adapter I was using. I'd really try a new adapter from a different source if I was you. I would not try any mod to my body. This lens hits the mirror on my Canon 5D when at infinity but I'd rather take a dremel to a $40 lens than to a $2000 camera.

You know I also have a Contax Zeiss 50/1.4 and I ran a comparision between the two lenses on my Canon 5D several months ago. At close focusing range the Pentax was clearly superior across the whole frame. But when shooting at infinity the Pentax's corners got quite mushy. But on a cropped DSLR this should not be a problem and the makes this lens one great bargain. I know in practical use I've gotten great images from it on 3 different DLSR bodies.

You might want to also pose this question on Dyxum.com. There were several guys over there using M42 lenses and they might be able to help.
--
Long live the HMS Beagle
Critiques always welcome!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads