3rd party battery for 40D?

Started Feb 28, 2008 | Discussions
mau_horng
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?
3rd party battery for 40D?
Feb 28, 2008

I am looking for back up battery for my 40D. Any 3rd party brand recommended? Canon's battery too costly for me.

Meanwhile, I also looking for AA rechargeable battery for my 580EX II. Which brand recommended? Between 2700mAh and 2500mAh, which one should I buy?

Thank you very much.

glitched
Senior MemberPosts: 1,015
Like?
Re: 3rd party battery for 40D?
In reply to mau_horng, Feb 28, 2008

Haven't tried, but Sterlingtek sells nice third party batteries.
Eneloops last forever, really nice AAs.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CsabX
Regular MemberPosts: 217Gear list
Like?

Delkin for Canon is also OK, but basicly what I think that these named not always better than the noname counterparts. But still to be on the safe side a better choice to buy them.

And I might recommend the Duracell 2650mAh AA's.
I have a really good experience with them.
And a good charger - that's maybe even more important!

Csaba

-- hide signature --

View my photo galleries here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/csabx/sets

ultrabigal
Regular MemberPosts: 296
Like?
In reply to glitched, Feb 28, 2008

For Rechargeable batteries eneloops are the way to go with out a doubt

Voyager13b
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,392
Like?

Stirlingtek has a good following, but I have used batteries from http://www.calcellular.com for several years with great reliability. Their BP-511 batteries only cost about $8.65 each, use Japanese lithium cells, sport a bit more capacity than the Canon batteries, and have been perfect for me with 10 units (I just ordered 2 more to add to my current 8 count) in heavy commercial and hobby use with three different camera bodies. If you use a battery grip with two batteries installed, you can go on a vacation shoot for a month with 6 cheap calcellular BP-511 batteries fully charged, and wear out your trigger finger before you ran out of camera power, even without available electricity to recharge the units.

The calcellular 2500 NiMh AA batteries have also become my favorite, as they seem to last forever, and maintain their charge for far longer on the shelf than any other AA battery I have tried (Duracell seems pretty good though). There are higher capacity batteries, but they never seem to last as long without one or two units going belly up at a bad time. They are cheap, too. I have about 30 of them right now. I tend to put them out to pasture after two years, and just buy more to replace them. So far, no failures.

Some people like the Eneloop batteries. They have a lower initial capacity, but they have a huge following. I am trying a set now, and they seem OK so far. You have to choose...

The best AAA, AA C, D, and 9v multi charger I have ever found is the Tenergy Speedy Box smart charger BC-1HU. I never found anything better from any retailer. It costs about $35, but lately, the company is pushing it in package deals with battery sets. I don't like their batteries nearly as much as calcellular batteries, so dig around the website to find the wonderful charger without batteries, or buy the cheapest package with batteries included. You can find it here. I have three of these chargers. I have never found a better charger, not even the famous Maha offering..

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=9

Good luck!
--
Voyager

Patrick H Lockwood
Contributing MemberPosts: 601
Like?

I wouldn't use a third party chinese knock off, if I were you. I heard of them leaking, etc.

Patrick

rainbow
Contributing MemberPosts: 754
Like?
In reply to Patrick H Lockwood, Feb 28, 2008

I have been using Sterling Tek batteries in my 5d and 10d for the last 4 years and never have had a problem nor have I personally heard of leaking problems.

JD807
Regular MemberPosts: 386
Like?
In reply to rainbow, Mar 1, 2008

Just tried ordering BP-511 from Sterlingtek and they are back-ordered, possibly a few weeks.
Jon
--
Give me something to shoot

Voyager13b
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,392
Like?
Step up to the plate....
In reply to JD807, Mar 1, 2008

Strlingtek doesn't make a thing. AFAIK, they order bulk shipments from China, as do most other companies, and have their name printed on the cases. Do yourself a big favor. While your favorite brand is backordered, try a few $8.65 calellular.com BP-511 batteries. They are built in China with Japanese cells, and are the best that I have ever used in terms of reliability.

Try a few. I dare you. I double dare you.

-- hide signature --

Voyager

DavidUk
Forum MemberPosts: 77
Like?
In reply to mau_horng, Mar 1, 2008

I have a couple of brands of 2500mah AA batteries which can be charged in 15mins with the right charger, but these design of batteries lose their charge if left on the 'shelf' over a period of a few weeks.

I was looking at a packet the other day that stated that around 80-90% of the charge remained after a year on the shelf, think it was sanyo eneloop low discharge nimh batteries

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads