Tiffen UV Filter Glass Rattle

Started Feb 2, 2008 | Discussions
Charlie Grosvenor
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Tiffen UV Filter Glass Rattle
Feb 2, 2008

I have just purchased a tiffen UV filter, if you shake the glass rattles. Is this normal? I've never had another filter do this

Thanks

like a user
Contributing MemberPosts: 923
Like?
Re: Tiffen UV Filter Glass Rattle
In reply to Charlie Grosvenor, Feb 2, 2008

I can t help much as I ve only just bought my first one and that was in ignorance, I ve only ever seen the name when used as big square filters in a matte box but it was what I was offered and as we don t have 'em in the UK and I assumed as the store was OK they wouldn t sell me
I was desperate to cover the front of my 24-70 .

Anyway mine doesn t rattle . Yours shouldn t either it, would drive me crazy....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Idomeneus
Regular MemberPosts: 339
Like?
In reply to Charlie Grosvenor, Feb 2, 2008

I've had that happen, and I am not aware of any problem related to it. However, if it bothers you, look at the front of your filter and notice a ring that screws into the threads in the front inside of the filter collar. These are the same threads you would use to stack another filter in front of the one you have. On my Tiffen filters there are two opposing notches on this ring which you can use to obtain purchase on the ring in order to tighten it down against the glass element. That should stop the rattling.

Combat By Design
Regular MemberPosts: 218Gear list
Like?
In reply to Idomeneus, Jul 21, 2013

Idomeneus wrote:

I've had that happen, and I am not aware of any problem related to it. However, if it bothers you, look at the front of your filter and notice a ring that screws into the threads in the front inside of the filter collar. These are the same threads you would use to stack another filter in front of the one you have. On my Tiffen filters there are two opposing notches on this ring which you can use to obtain purchase on the ring in order to tighten it down against the glass element. That should stop the rattling.

Glad I found this five year old thread... the same thing happened to my Bower filter today, and I wasn't happy haha. Now it's fixed.
Thanks!
-K

Combat By Design's gear list:Combat By Design's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon Pixma Pro-100 +3 more
Ian
Ian
Regular MemberPosts: 437Gear list
Like?
In reply to Charlie Grosvenor, Aug 8, 2013

Have you tried tightening the ring holding the filter in..?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads