Ady Shimony
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Capture HDMI from D300
Jan 21, 2008

Hi all

I wonder how I can get the HDMI stream to my laptop or my desktop like here:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond300/page9.asp

I made some searched and find some HDMI input cards, but not laptop solutions.

Anybody has any idea?

How can I contact Phil Askey to ask him how he made this capture?

Thanks

Ady.

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,926Gear list
Like?
Re: Capture HDMI from D300
In reply to Ady Shimony, Jan 21, 2008

You can use a USB cable and Camera Control Pro 2 to see Live View on your PC.

I've used HDMI to plug into a TV to see output, but not to a PC. You need a card to put into your PC which will accept a HDMI input, such as this:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WildNine
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
HDMI out with Liveview...
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Jan 21, 2008

Did anyone actually get HDMI output to work during Liveview?

I gave this a quick try as I thought it would be cool if it worked, but it didn't for me... would be good to know if anyone got it to work for sure before i try again.

Thanks

WN

ICUC
Regular MemberPosts: 243
Like?
Re: HDMI out with Liveview...
In reply to WildNine, Jan 21, 2008

I have tried both HDMI-HDMI (fed into a Sony X3500 1080p LCD TV) and HDMI-DVI (fed into a NEC 2090UXi 1600x1200 LCD monitor). Works just fine in both tripod and handheld mode. However, the monitor will only accept the signal when I choose DVI-I, not DVI-D, and it will default to "listening to" the VGA input if it doesn't receive a continous signal through the DVI input (at least when I had a computer hooked up to the VGA socket -- haven't tried swithching the computer off, or unplugging the VGA cable). Since the D300 outputs without problems to both these devices, chances are it will work with other monitors/TV:s as well.

WildNine
Like?
In reply to ICUC, Jan 21, 2008

Thanks, good to know.

I tried it with a Sharp 46" LCD (LC46XD1E) and it worked to the point i could review pictures and play with the menu, but it there was no image when I went to Liveview... I remember trying Auto, 1080i, 720p out on the D300, all had the same result.

Maybe I will give it another try or on a Dell 24" LCD....

Thanks

Foo

DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,857
Like?
HDMI port

If you are in the market for a new laptop, I just bought a very fast HP Pavilion dv6775us laptop that has HDMI port built-in

This PC has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 3GB RAM, 250GB SATA hard drive and 256MB video graphics, to name a few.
--
Dez

http://photos.dezmix.com

Ady Shimony
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Re: HDMI port
In reply to DezM, Jan 21, 2008

Thanks

I have a very good editing laptop (Dell M65) and I will not going to replace it soon...

Seeing it on the TV is nice, but I need a way to capture it...

I wonder if there is a way beside a card to my desktop, and I wonder how Phil did that in the preview demonstration.

travis Crawford
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?

If I recall HDMI is for out put- I don't know if it can be used for input.

I might be wrong.

PHXAZCRAIG
Like?
In reply to DezM, Jan 21, 2008

Have you played back pics from the D300 into the laptop?

(By they way, I love those pics you've been posting.)

DezM
Like?
Craig
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Jan 22, 2008

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

Have you played back pics from the D300 into the laptop?

(By they way, I love those pics you've been posting.)

Thanks!

No I haven't. I use my desktop for editing and I don't have a HDMI cable.
--
Dez

ICUC
Like?
In reply to WildNine, Jan 22, 2008

Hi WildNine,

This may be a not so very polite question, but did you use the Live View function as stated in the manual? I.e. set the dial to Lv, press the shutter release fully (to raise the mirror and allow incoming light to reach the sensor -- not until then can the image be output to the HDMI port), and then, when you're pleased with focus etc., press the shutter release fully again to actually capture the image (at which point the monitor will go blank for a while).

In general, to the best of my knowledge a laptop with an HDMI port will not allow you to feed the built-in monitor with data from another source than itself via HDMI. For this to work, the port would need to be bidirectional (and the HDMI standard allows for two-way communication, but I'm not sure to what extent), and the operating system would need to "know" how to handle an incoming signal. But I don't think the computer designers have identified this need yet (I may be wrong). My most recent laptop has an HDMI port, but I would certainly hesitate to plug my D300 into it just to see what happens.

Using USB and the Camera Control Pro software will let your computer display whatever the camera "sees" (at least after the photo has been taken), and remotely handle just about every aspect of the camera controls, including shutter release. Too bad it's so expensive. And if it works with Live View yet, I don't know, but I would doubt it. It's a general Nikon software, designed to work with all DSLR's from the D40 and upwards, so D300-specific functionality may not have been added yet. Perhaps someone in the forum with a D300 and a recent copy of Camera Control Pro can find out (I'd be very much interested in the answer myself, having enjoyed working with the Nikon Capture 4.0 camera control module hooked up to a D70, but that doesen't work with the D300).

WildNine
Like?
In reply to ICUC, Jan 23, 2008

ICUC,

Yes I do know how to use live view, in both modes, hand held & tripod. When I tried it, the camera was showing the liview on it's LCD, but my LCD screen was not. At that point I was not sure 100% that it was meant to work, so I gave up pretty quickly. I have not had a chance to try again, now that I know it is meant to work.

I think camera control is meant to work also, even with the wireless addon for the camera, but I have not tried it (I think you can download it and use it for a trial period).

Will advise when I get a chance to try again.

Thanks

Foo

ICUC wrote:

Hi WildNine,

This may be a not so very polite question, but did you use the Live
View function as stated in the manual? I.e. set the dial to Lv, press
the shutter release fully (to raise the mirror and allow incoming
light to reach the sensor -- not until then can the image be output
to the HDMI port), and then, when you're pleased with focus etc.,
press the shutter release fully again to actually capture the image
(at which point the monitor will go blank for a while).

In general, to the best of my knowledge a laptop with an HDMI port
will not allow you to feed the built-in monitor with data from
another source than itself via HDMI. For this to work, the port would
need to be bidirectional (and the HDMI standard allows for two-way
communication, but I'm not sure to what extent), and the operating
system would need to "know" how to handle an incoming signal. But I
don't think the computer designers have identified this need yet (I
may be wrong). My most recent laptop has an HDMI port, but I would
certainly hesitate to plug my D300 into it just to see what happens.

Using USB and the Camera Control Pro software will let your computer
display whatever the camera "sees" (at least after the photo has been
taken), and remotely handle just about every aspect of the camera
controls, including shutter release. Too bad it's so expensive. And
if it works with Live View yet, I don't know, but I would doubt it.
It's a general Nikon software, designed to work with all DSLR's from
the D40 and upwards, so D300-specific functionality may not have been
added yet. Perhaps someone in the forum with a D300 and a recent copy
of Camera Control Pro can find out (I'd be very much interested in
the answer myself, having enjoyed working with the Nikon Capture 4.0
camera control module hooked up to a D70, but that doesen't work with
the D300).

PHXAZCRAIG
Like?
Re: Craig
In reply to DezM, Jan 23, 2008

Maybe you could take the setup to a friend's place who has a cable to test, and give some feedback if that works?

I'd be interested to know if the laptop can use HDMI as an input. I've not heard of one with that capability. (Not that I've looked, but generally a video port on a laptop is for output only).

ICUC
Like?
In reply to WildNine, Jan 23, 2008

LiveNine,

No put-down intended, but I had to ask. My understanding, and experience, is that as soon as you connect an HDMI cable, the D300 shuts down its own LCD and feeds whatever should normally have gone to the built-in monitor to the HDMI port instead. So if you can get playback and menus to display on an external LCD, but not Live View, there can be only 3 explanations:

1) Temporarily bad connection
2) D300 malfunction in this respect
3) User error

Since it took me a while to figure out how Live View works (RTFM, I know...), I wanted to eliminate #3, and you just did that for me.

I don't think LV will be all that useful to me, but having an HDMI port on the camera certainly is. I'm in the process of shooting some 200 tabletop product shots, preset WB, manual exposure, and getting immediate feedback on a 40" screen is really addictive. The items I shoot fill more or less the whole screen, and range in color from pure white to pure black, and just about every color in-between. So the fixed presets don't work every time, but still produce a better consistency than automatic WB and A mode. Whenever WB or exposure doesn't agree with the item photographed, I just delete the photo, tweak my settings, and shoot again. Very efficient. I'm sure that in a corresponding situation, but where manual focus is required, LV would be very useful. It's getting to the point where I almost consider getting a generator and bring it and the 31 kg TV to outdoor sessions. Even though the built-in LCD is a great improvement over previous D models, 40" beats 3" every time, especially if you, like me, use reading glasses.

Keep us updated on your progress!

DezM
Like?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Jan 23, 2008

I think you're right.
--
Dez

WildNine
Like?
In reply to DezM, Jan 29, 2008

I finally got to try the live view on HDMI and it is working, I think my LCD was setup wrong the last time I tried it.... or I was not patient enough.

It also takes a few seconds before the picture appears.... though I am not sure that it fully utilises the 1080i resolution to render the display...

WN

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads