40D gets rare kingfisher in near darkness

Started Dec 30, 2007 | Discussions
liquidstone
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,855Gear list
Like?
40D gets rare kingfisher in near darkness
Dec 30, 2007

I had to wait 7 hours and endure pesky mosquitoes yesterday before this Philippine endemic showed up and allowed me a few shots in my last birding sortie of 2007.

Indigo-banded Kingfisher (Alcedo cyanopecta, male)
Tiaong, Quezon province, Philippines

40D + 500 f4 IS + Canon 1.4x TC, manual focus via Live View, f/7.1, ISO 320, 0.5 sec shutter speed, manual exposure in available understory light, 475B/3421 support:

Regards,

Romy

-- hide signature --

PHILIPPINE WILD BIRDS
http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone
http://www.romyocon.blogspot.com/
http://birdphotoph.proboards107.com
(Over 240 species captured in habitat, and counting.)

 liquidstone's gear list:liquidstone's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III +5 more
LenZen
Regular MemberPosts: 245
Like?
WOW!
In reply to liquidstone, Dec 30, 2007

Hi Romy,

That's an incredible image. I can never get any subject to stay still for .5 sec. LOL
I would say your patience was well rewarded.

Rich
--

'The only Zen you find at tops of mountains is the Zen you bring there' ~ R. Pirsig

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
deepak rao
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,542
Like?
Re: 40D gets rare kingfisher in near darkness
In reply to liquidstone, Dec 30, 2007

Mazingly well done Romy. Have a great year of birding in 2008 - we will all enjoy seeing your results.
--
Regards,

Deepak
http://www.rnhinfo.com/Albums

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BigAlSA
Contributing MemberPosts: 565
Like?
Re: 40D gets rare kingfisher in near darkness
In reply to liquidstone, Dec 30, 2007

That is an amazing shot Romy!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
darlenea
Regular MemberPosts: 292
Like?
Double WOW
In reply to LenZen, Dec 30, 2007

What a great crisp image. Darlene

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MediumFormat
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
Re: 40D gets rare kingfisher in near darkness
In reply to liquidstone, Dec 30, 2007

Wow!!!!!!!!!

Just incredible!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John down under
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,229
Like?
great; live view for manual focus
In reply to liquidstone, Dec 30, 2007

Fantastic result Romy. Your patience and technique worked very well.

How are you finding the use of live view for manual focusing? Was that at 10X mag? Did you focus and then recompose as your subject is obviously off centre and at 10X mag you wouldn't see much of the frame in live view.

-- hide signature --

Cheers from John from Adelaide, South Australia
John Harvey Photography http://johnharvey.com.au
Canon 20D & Fuji F10

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Glen Sansoucie
Contributing MemberPosts: 722Gear list
Like?
Double Wow
In reply to liquidstone, Dec 30, 2007

A 1/2 sec shutter speed?

I have to ask, do you get this shot without live view?

-- hide signature --
 Glen Sansoucie's gear list:Glen Sansoucie's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
snappey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,050
Like?
Holy Moly! That's amazing! Both the shot and the settings.
In reply to liquidstone, Dec 30, 2007

liquidstone wrote:

I had to wait 7 hours and endure pesky mosquitoes yesterday before
this Philippine endemic showed up and allowed me a few shots in my
last birding sortie of 2007.

Indigo-banded Kingfisher (Alcedo cyanopecta, male)
Tiaong, Quezon province, Philippines

40D + 500 f4 IS + Canon 1.4x TC, manual focus via Live View, f/7.1,
ISO 320, 0.5 sec shutter speed, manual exposure in available
understory light, 475B/3421 support:

Regards,

Romy

-- hide signature --

PHILIPPINE WILD BIRDS
http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone
http://www.romyocon.blogspot.com/
http://birdphotoph.proboards107.com
(Over 240 species captured in habitat, and counting.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robert D. McGee1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,157
Like?
Brilliant!
In reply to Glen Sansoucie, Dec 30, 2007

The 40D was only the instrument. Romy did the job!!

Thanks for sharing a VERY nice image!
--
Dale53
http://www.pbase.com/dale53

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mcscnc
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
amazing
In reply to liquidstone, Dec 30, 2007

the bird and the shot.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mark dimo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959Gear list
Like?
Re: 40D gets rare kingfisher in near darkness
In reply to liquidstone, Dec 30, 2007

brilliant photo romy!

well done mate. glad to see a fellow countryman getting the most out of his skill.

cheers,

md
--
life is too short, surf waves, own a convertible, and marry for love!

 mark dimo's gear list:mark dimo's gear list
HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
liquidstone
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,855Gear list
Like?
Yes, possible even without Live View
In reply to Glen Sansoucie, Dec 30, 2007

Thanks, Glen. Here's a shot of the same species I got two years ago - 350D + Sigmonster, 800 mm, f/10, ISO 200, 0.8 sec (!), MLU, 475B/3421 support. After focusing and MLU, I had to monitor the bird's pose with my binocular on my left hand, while my right hand holds the remote switch, ready to fire.

However, Live View just makes things simpler and easier - I can monitor the pose via the LCD (while the mirror is up to minimize slap), and the 10x zoom allows me to place critical focus on the exact place I want it to be.

Romy

Glen Sansoucie wrote:

A 1/2 sec shutter speed?

I have to ask, do you get this shot without live view?

-- hide signature --

PHILIPPINE WILD BIRDS
http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone
http://www.romyocon.blogspot.com/
http://birdphotoph.proboards107.com
(Over 240 species captured in habitat, and counting.)

 liquidstone's gear list:liquidstone's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bogongbreeze
Contributing MemberPosts: 800
Like?
Fabulous
In reply to liquidstone, Dec 30, 2007

Thanks for showing another wonderful shot, Romy. You are forever an inspiration.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Glen Sansoucie
Contributing MemberPosts: 722Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, possible even without Live View
In reply to liquidstone, Dec 30, 2007

Romy,

Thanks for the reply and the shot with the XT.

Once the kids are a little older, I will have a bit more patience, right now, a shutter speed of 1/2 second would result in an over-exposed blur

I have to admit, I am not into birding, however, it is great to hear about your approach and your successes. This is what I like about this forum, I can see what works for others, then give it a try.

-- hide signature --
 Glen Sansoucie's gear list:Glen Sansoucie's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
liquidstone
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,855Gear list
Like?
Re: great; live view for manual focus
In reply to John down under, Dec 30, 2007

John down under wrote:

Fantastic result Romy. Your patience and technique worked very well.

Thanks, John!

How are you finding the use of live view for manual focusing?

LV helps a lot in very accurate manual focus.

Was that at 10X mag?

Yes, that was at 10x LV zoom.

Did you focus and then recompose as your subject is obviously off centre and at > 10X mag you wouldn't see much of the frame in live view.

Upon turning on LV, I immediately frame the subject to my desired composition, move the focus rectangle to the bird's eye, then do my MF at 10x zoom. After precisely focusing, I back off to 5x zoom to monitor the bird's pose, and the dissipation of camera shake (readily noticeable even at 5x). Once the bird's pose is right, and the bird/scene are no longer shaking in the LCD, I trip the shutter via remote switch.

Romy

-- hide signature --

PHILIPPINE WILD BIRDS
http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone
http://www.romyocon.blogspot.com/
http://birdphotoph.proboards107.com
(Over 240 species captured in habitat, and counting.)

 liquidstone's gear list:liquidstone's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mmullen
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,259Gear list
Like?
Re: 40D gets rare kingfisher in near darkness
In reply to liquidstone, Dec 30, 2007

Fantastic shot Romy! I love the bright orange legs, the composition, the light and the clarity.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Mike Mullen

 mmullen's gear list:mmullen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S80 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BigAlSA
Contributing MemberPosts: 565
Like?
Re: Yes, possible even without Live View
In reply to liquidstone, Dec 30, 2007

This shot is just as amazing as the other! 0.8s - I'm amazed that the bird didn't move in that time frame!

I'm bookmarking this post just to show folks what can be done with the 350d.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Starbuck22
Forum MemberPosts: 77
Like?
Re: 40D gets rare kingfisher in near darkness
In reply to liquidstone, Dec 30, 2007

awesome cute bird ,,, quality is great too,,, thanks for sharing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John down under
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,229
Like?
thanks for the focus explanation
In reply to liquidstone, Dec 30, 2007

liquidstone wrote:

John down under wrote:

Fantastic result Romy. Your patience and technique worked very well.

Thanks, John!

How are you finding the use of live view for manual focusing?

LV helps a lot in very accurate manual focus.

Was that at 10X mag?

Yes, that was at 10x LV zoom.

Did you focus and then recompose as your subject is obviously off centre and at > 10X mag you wouldn't see much of the frame in live view.

Upon turning on LV, I immediately frame the subject to my desired
composition, move the focus rectangle to the bird's eye, then do my
MF at 10x zoom. After precisely focusing, I back off to 5x zoom to
monitor the bird's pose, and the dissipation of camera shake (readily
noticeable even at 5x). Once the bird's pose is right, and the
bird/scene are no longer shaking in the LCD, I trip the shutter via
remote switch.

Romy

Sounds good Romy. I'm sure you're well practised with this method of focusing, steadying and shooting quickly enough to capture birds often enough without them moving too much and destroying your opportunities.

-- hide signature --

Cheers from John from Adelaide, South Australia
John Harvey Photography http://johnharvey.com.au
Canon 20D & Fuji F10

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads